Baking (rec.food.baking) For bakers, would-be bakers, and fans and consumers of breads, pastries, cakes, pies, cookies, crackers, bagels, and other items commonly found in a bakery. Includes all methods of preparation, both conventional and not.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-11-2003, 11:36 PM
Chris
 
Posts: n/a
Default The Hershey's Wrapper Scandal

The Hershey'sŪ Wrapper Scandal:
Inside the chocolate giant's betrayal
of the American people

Instead of wrapping its chocolate bars in paper, the way it's been
done for almost 70 years, HersheysŪ is now packaging its milk
chocolate in plastic: Exxon Mobil Chemical's BicorŪ 75
CSR-2/ink/adhesive/Metallyte.

The result is packaging that is very hard to open, a poor tasting
chocolate, and the loss of a fine American tradition.


Get the complete story at:

http://www.notwriting.com/commentary.htm


Or, contact Hershey'sŪ Public Relations department and tell them you
want the old wrappers back! You can email them at:




Don't let them get away with this! Make your voice heard today!

Thank you,

Chris Orcutt
NotWriting.com: Stuff one writer does when he should be writing
www.notwriting.com

  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 13-11-2003, 03:04 AM
alzelt
 
Posts: n/a
Default The Hershey's Wrapper Scandal



Chris wrote:

The Hershey'sŪ Wrapper Scandal:
Inside the chocolate giant's betrayal
of the American people

Instead of wrapping its chocolate bars in paper, the way it's been
done for almost 70 years, HersheysŪ is now packaging its milk
chocolate in plastic: Exxon Mobil Chemical's BicorŪ 75
CSR-2/ink/adhesive/Metallyte.

The result is packaging that is very hard to open, a poor tasting
chocolate, and the loss of a fine American tradition.


Get the complete story at:

http://www.notwriting.com/commentary.htm


Or, contact Hershey'sŪ Public Relations department and tell them you
want the old wrappers back! You can email them at:




Don't let them get away with this! Make your voice heard today!

Thank you,

Chris Orcutt
NotWriting.com: Stuff one writer does when he should be writing
www.notwriting.com


Wouldn't it be much easier to buy real chocolate instead of milk chocolate?

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 13-11-2003, 03:34 AM
Alex Rast
 
Posts: n/a
Default The Hershey's Wrapper Scandal

at Thu, 13 Nov 2003 03:04:41 GMT in
,
(alzelt) wrote :



Chris wrote:
...
Instead of wrapping its chocolate bars in paper, the way it's been
done for almost 70 years, HersheysŪ is now packaging its milk
chocolate in plastic: Exxon Mobil Chemical's BicorŪ 75
CSR-2/ink/adhesive/Metallyte.
Don't let them get away with this! Make your voice heard today!

...
Wouldn't it be much easier to buy real chocolate instead of milk
chocolate?


Milk chocolate *is* real chocolate. There's nothing inherently wrong with
the stuff, and some kinds (e.g. Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate, Michel Cluizel
Chocolat Grand Lait Cacao Pur Ile de Java 50%) are really good, too.

However, I agree that it's somewhat immaterial to quibble over any quality
loss in Hershey's - their milk chocolate is really bad to begin with.

More frustrating to me is the introduction of plastic wrappings on a lot of
organic chocolates, especially those from Europe. They advertise boldly on
the label that the wrapping has no aluminum. Now, how does it *improve*
things to go from inert aluminum (which may have tenuous connections to
Alzheimers) to off-gassing plastic (which has known connections to cancers
and other toxic diseases), especially when plastic makes it taste worse
*and* less healthy? If they want to do it right, then they should wrap it
in sealed wax paper or stainless steel foil. However, if they want to cut
costs, why not at least be sufficiently candid as to admit it, or at least
not so disingenuous as to conceal what they've done behind a "no aluminum"
banner?

--
Alex Rast

(remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 13-11-2003, 06:37 AM
Isaac Wingfield
 
Posts: n/a
Default The Hershey's Wrapper Scandal

In article ,
(Alex Rast) wrote:

at Thu, 13 Nov 2003 03:04:41 GMT in
,
(alzelt) wrote :



Chris wrote:
...
Instead of wrapping its chocolate bars in paper, the way it's been
done for almost 70 years, HersheysŪ is now packaging its milk
chocolate in plastic: Exxon Mobil Chemical's BicorŪ 75
CSR-2/ink/adhesive/Metallyte.
Don't let them get away with this! Make your voice heard today!

...
Wouldn't it be much easier to buy real chocolate instead of milk
chocolate?


Milk chocolate *is* real chocolate. There's nothing inherently wrong with
the stuff, and some kinds (e.g. Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate, Michel Cluizel
Chocolat Grand Lait Cacao Pur Ile de Java 50%) are really good, too.

However, I agree that it's somewhat immaterial to quibble over any quality
loss in Hershey's - their milk chocolate is really bad to begin with.

More frustrating to me is the introduction of plastic wrappings on a lot of
organic chocolates, especially those from Europe. They advertise boldly on
the label that the wrapping has no aluminum. Now, how does it *improve*
things to go from inert aluminum (which may have tenuous connections to
Alzheimers)


Not even tenuous; non-existent.

to off-gassing plastic (which has known connections to cancers
and other toxic diseases), especially when plastic makes it taste worse
*and* less healthy?


Not all plastics outgas; vinyls do, but generally they are not used for
food packaging. The ones that do not, probably do not alter the taste --
except to prevent oxidation and absorption of odors from the
environment. If you like what those do to the taste, plastic will be a
problem.

If they want to do it right, then they should wrap it
in sealed wax paper or stainless steel foil.


Neither of which will prevent outside contaminants anywhere near as well
as *proper* plastic packaging.

However, if they want to cut
costs, why not at least be sufficiently candid as to admit it, or at least
not so disingenuous as to conceal what they've done behind a "no aluminum"
banner?


The "no aluminum" silliness, I think, is to counter the old, entirely
debunked, story that's been running aroung Usenet since Noah first
forwarded it.

Plastic -- properly chosen -- is probably the best packaging possible.

Isaac


  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 13-11-2003, 02:39 PM
Baldy Cotton
 
Posts: n/a
Default The Hershey's Wrapper Scandal

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
HersheysŪ is now packaging its milk
chocolate in plastic:


So now the wrapper and the candy taste exactly alike!
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 14-11-2003, 02:55 AM
The Old Bear
 
Posts: n/a
Default The Hershey's Wrapper Scandal

Richard Kaszeta writes:

From: Richard Kaszeta
Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
Subject: The Hershey's Wrapper Scandal
Date: 13 Nov 2003 10:46:00 -0600

But it does remind me of when they moved Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
(hey, we all eat junk food on occasion...) to plastic wrappers---to
me, the quality went downhill, because I discovered that I actually
liked Reese's better when it was slightly stale (the peanut butter
would harden up), and the new packaging kept it entirely too fresh.



Hey, Diogenes... over here... quick... an honest man!



For many years, one of the more popular items offered for sale at
intermission at a local theatre is individually wrapped 3.5cm
squares of Ghirardelli chocolate of both dark bittersweet and milk
chocolate varieties.

See: http://www.ghirardelli.com/products.cfm?cat_id=1

For years these have come wrapped in foil which is easy to remove
and virtually silent when opened by those who bring a couple of
pieces back to nibble at their seats during the second act. Alas,
no more -- last year Ghirardelli switched to sealed plastic
packaging which has the strength of the Mylar that NASA used for
its first communications satelite.

In theory, these small envelopes should open silently along a seam.
But, as it is difficult to figure out how this seam is folded -- and
virtually impossible in the dark -- one hears members of the audience
trying to rip these open with their fingernails, teeth, housekeys, or
any other implement of destruction they may have on their persons.

Ah, the play may open to popular acclaim, but the chocolates do not.

Cheers,
The Old Bear

  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 14-11-2003, 07:32 AM
Eric Jorgensen
 
Posts: n/a
Default The Hershey's Wrapper Scandal

On 13 Nov 2003 10:46:00 -0600
Richard Kaszeta wrote:

(Chris) writes:
The result is packaging that is very hard to open, a poor tasting
chocolate, and the loss of a fine American tradition.


I'm not sure that plastic will have much effect on the taste of
Hershey's---it's just not all that good a chocolate...

But it does remind me of when they moved Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
(hey, we all eat junk food on occasion...) to plastic wrappers---to
me, the quality went downhill, because I discovered that I actually
liked Reese's better when it was slightly stale (the peanut butter
would harden up), and the new packaging kept it entirely too fresh.



Oddly enough, my brother's wife used to live within walking distance of
a factory that cranked out Reese's peanut butter cups. She'd
occasionally walk down there and buy factory seconds -- mistakes in
packaging, usually. Anyway, the point is, when she moved away, she
discovered that she didn't like them if they weren't fresh off the
factory line.

Takes all kinds. But a drop in the quality of a hershey bar . . . you
couldn't break an egg dropping it that distance. At any rate, big
multimilliondollar companies put a lot of stock in consistency.

When Frito Lay announced that they were going to switch from
hydrogenated vegetable shortening to corn oil for all their frying
operations, there was a space of about four months there where doritos
just weren't right. Some bags were oily, some bags were dry but lacked
flavor, some bags were caked with seasonings. One of the bigger mistakes
they've made has to have been switching right to corn oil without
running it by their obviously extremely talented food scientists first
to come up with documentation for a new production process, since it was
obvious to anyone with a weakness for their carefully calculated chips
that it was taking a while for the workers to get the hang of it.

Hershey probably thinks this plastic packaging will improve the quality
of the end product. It will probably give it a longer shelf life and
less of a propensity to absorb flavors from it's environment. If there
is a quality drop due to issues with the actual packaging process or
materials used, I'm sure they'll iron it out eventually.

And i have no sympathy for anyone who does not respect the sanctity of
foil wrapped chocolate anyhow. Paper indeed.

But like i said, their mint flavored and cookies & cream bars were
always in plastic. I don't even recall if they make those anymore. They
always seemed reasonably easy to open and as tasty as could be expected,
until i developed a sensitivity to some sort of secondary compound or
solvent residue or other impurity in low quality synthesized vanilla and
mint flavorings, which keeps me off cheap chocolate almost entirely. A
really cheap bowl of mint chocolate chip icecream gives me the world's
worst heartburn these days.

- Eric


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 20-11-2003, 10:50 AM
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady
 
Posts: n/a
Default The Hershey's Wrapper Scandal

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:39:48 GMT, Baldy Cotton
wrote:

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
HersheysŪ is now packaging its milk
chocolate in plastic:


So now the wrapper and the candy taste exactly alike!


Now? Haven't they always tasted exactly alike?

(In all my 46 years, I've never been able to tell the difference.)

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
davida @ jdc . org . il
~*~*~*~*~*~
"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of
chocolate."
--Katharine Hepburn (May 12, 1907 - June 29, 2003)
~*~*~*~*~*~
Links to my published poetry - http://davidachazan.homestead.com/
~*~*~*~*~*~


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
springroll vs wonton wrapper James[_1_] General Cooking 11 28-11-2008 03:51 PM
Soy wrapper for ushi Texas Yankee Sushi 7 25-06-2004 07:08 PM
The Hershey's Wrapper Scandal Chris Chocolate 2 27-11-2003 07:05 PM
The Hershey's Wrapper Scandal Chris Marketplace 1 19-11-2003 02:06 AM
The Hershey's Wrapper Scandal Chris Historic 0 12-11-2003 11:38 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Đ2004-2021 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017