Isaac Wingfield

Default The Hershey's Wrapper Scandal

(alzelt) wrote :

> >Chris wrote:
> >> Instead of wrapping its chocolate bars in paper, the way it's been
> >> done for almost 70 years, HersheysŪ is now packaging its milk
> >> chocolate in plastic: Exxon Mobil Chemical's BicorŪ 75
> >> CSR-2/ink/adhesive/Metallyte.
> >> Don't let them get away with this! Make your voice heard today!

> >Wouldn't it be much easier to buy real chocolate instead of milk
> >chocolate?

> Milk chocolate *is* real chocolate. There's nothing inherently wrong with
> the stuff, and some kinds (e.g. Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate, Michel Cluizel
> Chocolat Grand Lait Cacao Pur Ile de Java 50%) are really good, too.
>
> However, I agree that it's somewhat immaterial to quibble over any quality
> loss in Hershey's - their milk chocolate is really bad to begin with.
>
> More frustrating to me is the introduction of plastic wrappings on a lot of
> organic chocolates, especially those from Europe. They advertise boldly on
> the label that the wrapping has no aluminum. Now, how does it *improve*
> things to go from inert aluminum (which may have tenuous connections to
> Alzheimers)

Not even tenuous; non-existent.

>to off-gassing plastic (which has known connections to cancers
> and other toxic diseases), especially when plastic makes it taste worse
> *and* less healthy?

Not all plastics outgas; vinyls do, but generally they are not used for
food packaging. The ones that do not, probably do not alter the taste --
except to prevent oxidation and absorption of odors from the
environment. If you like what those do to the taste, plastic will be a
problem.

>If they want to do it right, then they should wrap it
> in sealed wax paper or stainless steel foil.

Neither of which will prevent outside contaminants anywhere near as well
as *proper* plastic packaging.

>However, if they want to cut
> costs, why not at least be sufficiently candid as to admit it, or at least
> not so disingenuous as to conceal what they've done behind a "no aluminum"
> banner?

The "no aluminum" silliness, I think, is to counter the old, entirely
debunked, story that's been running aroung Usenet since Noah first
forwarded it.

Plastic -- properly chosen -- is probably the best packaging possible.

Isaac