Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Batter vs. Dough At what point does a batter become a dough or does a dough become a batter?

I have a dough formula that I want to convert into a batter. By using the
"Baker's Percentage," my water is about 78% of the weight of the flour.
That's a pretty wet and sticky dough already. At what point does it become
a batter? 100% water? Is there any consensus? One of my baking classmates
told me that if it can be poured, it's a batter. That doesn't sound very
scientific. Ideas?

Thanks.

Rich Hollenbeck
Moreno Valley, CA USA

Posted to rec.food.baking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 14 Dec 2006 12:57:24p, Richard Hollenbeck meant to say...

> I have a dough formula that I want to convert into a batter. By using
> the "Baker's Percentage," my water is about 78% of the weight of the
> flour. That's a pretty wet and sticky dough already. At what point does
> it become a batter? 100% water? Is there any consensus? One of my
> baking classmates told me that if it can be poured, it's a batter. That
> doesn't sound very scientific. Ideas?

LOL! It may not sound very scientific, but it makes perfect sense. The
primary difference between dough and batter is the consistency - Dough is
thicker and must be molded by hand, while batter is semi-liquid, thus spooned
or poured. Both can be leavened with either yeast, baking power, or baking
soda.

--
Wayne Boatwright

One thing about pain: It proves you're alive.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Thanks to both of you. I simply kicked up the hydration to 122% without
changing any of the other ingredients' ratios and it did the trick. You can
refer to another post I made today about English muffins. I found that
making the dough into a batter and pouring the batter into biscuit-cutting
rings gave me the characteristic big bubbles I was seeking.

using batter Jordon General Cooking 2 20-09-2010 03:55 PM
using batter Jordon Vegan 2 20-09-2010 03:55 PM
Batter, batter everywhere. No Name General Cooking 18 05-12-2009 08:02 PM
I make stove top bread frequently. I make dough, flatten it (usually) to fit the bottom of my cast iron frypan, and cook it really slowly. Sometimes I let it rise, sometimes not. Depending on the dough volume, it ranges from a half inch thick to two Tim Recipes 0 22-12-2005 12:15 PM
Batter Pro The Wolf General Cooking 18 28-12-2004 10:27 PM