Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Batter vs. Dough At what point does a batter become a dough or does a dough become a batter?

Oh pshaw, on Thu 14 Dec 2006 12:57:24p, Richard Hollenbeck meant to say...

> I have a dough formula that I want to convert into a batter. By using
> the "Baker's Percentage," my water is about 78% of the weight of the
> flour. That's a pretty wet and sticky dough already. At what point does
> it become a batter? 100% water? Is there any consensus? One of my
> baking classmates told me that if it can be poured, it's a batter. That
> doesn't sound very scientific. Ideas?

LOL! It may not sound very scientific, but it makes perfect sense. The
primary difference between dough and batter is the consistency - Dough is
thicker and must be molded by hand, while batter is semi-liquid, thus spooned
or poured. Both can be leavened with either yeast, baking power, or baking
soda.

--
Wayne Boatwright

One thing about pain: It proves you're alive.