Old 12-12-2006, 09:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Default My first no knead bread attempt

Pandora wrote:
"Ravenlynne" ha scritto nel messaggio
Pandora wrote:
Thank you Ravenlynne, I have found the recipe , but I haven't seen the
video. There was only the video of a dog
BtW I want to ask you a thing: at point 4 is written we must put the pot
in the oven in order to heat it. For how long it should be in the oven?
Shall I put also the lid in the oven?
Thank you
Pandora
------------

I put the pot in the oven when I turned it on...lid and all. I let it
heat for the entire 30 minutes. The guy in the video said the pot should
be "blazing" hot.

Thanks very much. I want to do it. I don't have such a round pot, but I have
a long pot with lid made of ceramic. I use it sometimes to make chicken.
It is like the one you can see in this link. Do you think it could work?
http://images.google.it/images?hl=it...rca +immagini
cheers and thank you again
Pandora

I really don't know...I'm so new at this! Maybe double the batch? or
make it more baguette shaped? I love that pot by the way!

--
"Life is a journey, Time is a river, The door is ajar."
- The Dresden Files

Old 12-12-2006, 09:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Pandora wrote:
[...]

That would work well, altho you will need to make it a different shape
to fit in

Old 12-12-2006, 10:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Ravenlynne wrote in news:dmCfh.77431$W66.19664
@newsfe15.lga:

This is my first attempt at the NYT no knead bread recipe. I started
yesterday at noon with the exact recipe. At 9 am this morning I started
the dough on it's 2nd rise.

*Two* days to make one loaf???!!!

I'd rather do a light knead and get the job done ASAP :-)

Try this one........

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/eg...97/damper.html

or this lot.....

http://www.frogandtoad.com.au/home/food5.html

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Old 12-12-2006, 11:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

PeterL wrote:
Ravenlynne wrote in news:dmCfh.77431$W66.19664
@newsfe15.lga:

This is my first attempt at the NYT no knead bread recipe. I started
yesterday at noon with the exact recipe. At 9 am this morning I started
the dough on it's 2nd rise.

*Two* days to make one loaf???!!!
I'd rather do a light knead and get the job done ASAP :-)

Chacun a son dough (sorta).

Try this one........
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/eg...97/damper.html
or this lot.....
http://www.frogandtoad.com.au/home/food5.html

They're ok, but not a yeast bread, so it'll be missing the
complex flavors that come from long rises. Damper won't give
a texture anywhere near this bread. Nothing wrong with it,
just a different critter.

Pastorio
Old 12-12-2006, 11:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Ravenlynne wrote:
Dave Bell wrote:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Ravenlynne wrote:

This is my first attempt at the NYT no knead bread recipe. I started
yesterday at noon with the exact recipe. At 9 am this morning I started
the dough on it's 2nd rise. It looked precisely as it should according
to the article. I used two linen cloths, the bottom dusted with a
flour/cornmeal mix, then topped with the same mix and another towel, let
rise for 2 hours then baked. I don't have a dutch oven, or cast iron
pot or anything like that and I don't think my pyrex was large enough,
so I used a regular, cheap soup pot and lid. I wrapped the handles in
foil and followed the recipe. I just tasted it and it is wonderful!
It's moist and full of large, shiny holes and the crust is crispy,
wonderful. Here are some pics:

http://tinyurl.com/yn2kzo

I need to buy more flour, but I'm anxious to try again. I'd like to see
it rise a bit more..it's a little shy of 3 inches high (don't have a
ruler to measure.

Wonderful first attempt!!

I'd suggest either a slightly smaller (diameter) pot, or scale the recipe
up a bit, for more heoght in the sam epot.

I have been using a crockpot liner I picked up at the thrift store for
$3.

Dave

Thanks for your tips! I'll probably try my smaller pyrex next time. I
wasn't sure how much it would puff in the oven this time.

You really want a pan with some mass; a heavy one. It holds
the heat better and transmits it more effectively to the
dough without cooling as much as a thin one. That helps with
the rise.

That's why the baker suggests cast iron, pyrex, ceramic...

But this looked like a good first shot.

Pastorio

Old 12-12-2006, 11:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Pandora wrote:
"Ravenlynne" ha scritto
I put the pot in the oven when I turned it on...lid and all. I let it
heat for the entire 30 minutes. The guy in the video said the pot should
be "blazing" hot.

Thanks very much. I want to do it. I don't have such a round pot, but I have
a long pot with lid made of ceramic. I use it sometimes to make chicken.
It is like the one you can see in this link. Do you think it could work?
http://images.google.it/images?hl=it...rca +immagini
cheers and thank you again

This will work. I have a ceramic terra cotta Romertopf pot
but have not used it for this bread. For this recipe, the
pot needs to be very hot before the bread goes inside. I
would be concerned that the pot wouldn't do very well with
cold dough dropped into it. I would be afraid it might
crack. Maybe if you wet it...

Pastorio
Old 12-12-2006, 11:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"Bob (this one)" wrote in
:

PeterL wrote:
Ravenlynne wrote in news:dmCfh.77431$W66.19664
@newsfe15.lga:

This is my first attempt at the NYT no knead bread recipe. I
started yesterday at noon with the exact recipe. At 9 am this
morning I started the dough on it's 2nd rise.

*Two* days to make one loaf???!!!
I'd rather do a light knead and get the job done ASAP :-)

Chacun a son dough (sorta).

Sorta.........

chacun son got

Try this one........
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/eg...97/damper.html
or this lot.....
http://www.frogandtoad.com.au/home/food5.html

They're ok, but not a yeast bread, so it'll be missing the
complex flavors that come from long rises. Damper won't give
a texture anywhere near this bread. Nothing wrong with it,
just a different critter.

Which is why they are good for when you're out camping etc.

Old 13-12-2006, 12:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

PeterL wrote:
"Bob (this one)" wrote

PeterL wrote:
Ravenlynne wrote

This is my first attempt at the NYT no knead bread recipe. I
started yesterday at noon with the exact recipe. At 9 am this
morning I started the dough on it's 2nd rise.

*Two* days to make one loaf???!!!
I'd rather do a light knead and get the job done ASAP :-)

Chacun a son dough (sorta).

Sorta.........

chacun � son go�t

Merci bien, Pierre. Il etait une plaisanterie. Comment
dites-vous "whoosh" en Australie?

Try this one........
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/eg...97/damper.html
or this lot.....
http://www.frogandtoad.com.au/home/food5.html

They're ok, but not a yeast bread, so it'll be missing the
complex flavors that come from long rises. Damper won't give
a texture anywhere near this bread. Nothing wrong with it,
just a different critter.

Which is why they are good for when you're out camping etc.

Of course. But that wasn't the subject.

Pastorio
Old 13-12-2006, 01:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"Bob (this one)" wrote in news:12nujpuprv3sk42
@corp.supernews.com:

PeterL wrote:
"Bob (this one)" wrote

PeterL wrote:
Ravenlynne wrote

This is my first attempt at the NYT no knead bread recipe. I
started yesterday at noon with the exact recipe. At 9 am this
morning I started the dough on it's 2nd rise.

*Two* days to make one loaf???!!!
I'd rather do a light knead and get the job done ASAP :-)

Chacun a son dough (sorta).

Sorta.........

chacun � son go�t

Merci bien, Pierre. Il etait une plaisanterie. Comment
dites-vous "whoosh" en Australie?

Whatever.

Try this one........
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/eg...97/damper.html
or this lot.....
http://www.frogandtoad.com.au/home/food5.html
They're ok, but not a yeast bread, so it'll be missing the
complex flavors that come from long rises. Damper won't give
a texture anywhere near this bread. Nothing wrong with it,
just a different critter.

Which is why they are good for when you're out camping etc.

Of course. But that wasn't the subject.

No. It was 'no knead bread'........ which is what damper is.

Old 13-12-2006, 04:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Has anyone actually Pyrex to bake this with this high heat. (450 degrees) It
seems that the wet dough would crack the Pyrex.
I used a 2qt Crueset and it seems too small.

"PeterL" wrote in message
"Bob (this one)" wrote in news:12nujpuprv3sk42
@corp.supernews.com:

PeterL wrote:
"Bob (this one)" wrote

Ravenlynne wrote

Old 13-12-2006, 05:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"James L. Davidson" wrote in message
Has anyone actually Pyrex to bake this with this high heat. (450 degrees)
It seems that the wet dough would crack the Pyrex.
I used a 2qt Crueset and it seems too small.

I found a site on the web that stated that the company that makes Pyrex has
changed the formulation. The old stuff was pretty safe when you put cold
into a hot Pyrex dish, but the new stuff is supposedly dangerous and may
shatter. I don't know any more about this, and I don't use Pyrex for bread
baking, but if you do, you should check it out.

Barry

Old 13-12-2006, 05:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

barry wrote:

"James L. Davidson" wrote in message

Has anyone actually Pyrex to bake this with this high heat. (450 degrees)
It seems that the wet dough would crack the Pyrex.
I used a 2qt Crueset and it seems too small.

I found a site on the web that stated that the company that makes Pyrex has
changed the formulation. The old stuff was pretty safe when you put cold
into a hot Pyrex dish, but the new stuff is supposedly dangerous and may
shatter. I don't know any more about this, and I don't use Pyrex for bread
baking, but if you do, you should check it out.

I had a pyrex dish shatter from thermal shock once. It's \
definitely something to be aware of.

In this case though, cooking bread in it at 450 F won't
be a problem. They're designed for that temp and the
wet dough isn't a factor.

--
Reg

Old 13-12-2006, 06:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Pandora wrote:
[...]

Yes, the pot is nice and the chicken which you cook there comes very tasty,
because the flavour stay inside.
BTW Thank you. I will try. If the bread will come out longer, I will it more
DDDDDDDD
Cheers
pandora

Old 13-12-2006, 06:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"Merryb" ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...

Pandora wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much. I Am so glad you say so!

--
Merry Christmas
Pandora

Old 13-12-2006, 07:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

"Bob (this one)" ha scritto nel messaggio
Pandora wrote:
"Ravenlynne" ha scritto
I put the pot in the oven when I turned it on...lid and all. I let it
heat for the entire 30 minutes. The guy in the video said the pot
should be "blazing" hot.

Thanks very much. I want to do it. I don't have such a round pot, but I
have a long pot with lid made of ceramic. I use it sometimes to make
chicken.
It is like the one you can see in this link. Do you think it could work?
http://images.google.it/images?hl=it...rca +immagini
cheers and thank you again

This will work. I have a ceramic terra cotta Romertopf pot but have not
used it for this bread. For this recipe, the pot needs to be very hot
before the bread goes inside. I would be concerned that the pot wouldn't
do very well with cold dough dropped into it. I would be afraid it might
crack. Maybe if you wet it...

Pastorio

Ohhhh! Bob! But dough is not so cold ! It is at room temperature, it doesn't
come out from fridge.
I hope it doesn't break and if it happens I will jump from the window for
desperation DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
But I Am courageous and I will try. I will start perhaps this evening, or
tomorrow. I will let you know.

--
Merry Christmas
Pandora