A Food and drink forum. FoodBanter.com

Welcome to FoodBanter.com forums which provide access to the finest food and drink related newsgroups.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most newsgroup discussions and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics to the food related newsgroups, communicate privately with other FoodBanter.com members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   Home » FoodBanter.com forum » Food and Cooking » Preserving
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Preserving (rec.food.preserving) Devoted to the discussion of recipes, equipment, and techniques of food preservation. Techniques that should be discussed in this forum include canning, freezing, dehydration, pickling, smoking, salting, and distilling.

Labels for Ball Jars



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22-12-2011, 12:28 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default Labels for Ball Jars

Has anyone come up with a good method of labeling
their jars after canning? I now use a permanent
marker on the lid, but a nice, tough, waterproof, durable
label would be nice. Something you could put
in an ink jet printer would be even better.

I'm curious to what others have found best.

Thanks,

Jim


Ads
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22-12-2011, 02:52 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,186
Default Labels for Ball Jars

On 12/22/2011 6:28 AM, Jim wrote:
Has anyone come up with a good method of labeling
their jars after canning? I now use a permanent
marker on the lid, but a nice, tough, waterproof, durable
label would be nice. Something you could put
in an ink jet printer would be even better.

I'm curious to what others have found best.

Thanks,

Jim


Look around on line for some round labels that will fit on jar lids. I
think they are 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Barb Schaller uses them all the
time.

I mostly use a Sharpie on the lid with product and date of manufacture
but have used shipping labels with fair results. The only problem with
labels on jars is that they are often a real problem to get off to reuse
the jar. Good luck.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22-12-2011, 03:22 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,268
Default Labels for Ball Jars

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 08:52:38 -0600, George Shirley
wrote:

On 12/22/2011 6:28 AM, Jim wrote:
Has anyone come up with a good method of labeling
their jars after canning? I now use a permanent
marker on the lid, but a nice, tough, waterproof, durable
label would be nice. Something you could put
in an ink jet printer would be even better.

I'm curious to what others have found best.

Thanks,

Jim


Look around on line for some round labels that will fit on jar lids. I
think they are 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Barb Schaller uses them all the
time.

I mostly use a Sharpie on the lid with product and date of manufacture
but have used shipping labels with fair results. The only problem with
labels on jars is that they are often a real problem to get off to reuse
the jar. Good luck.



I use the round labels on the lids of my jars. Since most of my jars
come back to me, I know what a pain it is to remove the labels. I use
the Avery label # 5294.

Found my source.
http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewProduct.asp?SKU=AVE5294

I have ordered from them before (not the labels) and got very good
service.
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23-12-2011, 03:29 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,896
Default Labels for Ball Jars

In article ,
Jim wrote:

Has anyone come up with a good method of labeling
their jars after canning? I now use a permanent
marker on the lid, but a nice, tough, waterproof, durable
label would be nice. Something you could put
in an ink jet printer would be even better.

I'm curious to what others have found best.

Thanks,

Jim


I use Avery 5294 - 2-1/2" diameter rounds labels. I use Discus software
to make them.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2012, 06:33 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Labels for Ball Jars

I've been using standard Avery address labels for years - 2.5 inch by 1 inch
and I put them on the jar itself. I use Word and Avery template # 5160.

To get them off - pour a little boiling water over them for 15-30 seconds
and the labels peel right off with no residue. If they have been run
through the dishwasher with the labels on, soak them in hot water, peel off
what you can and remove the rest with a plastic scrubber.

"Jim" wrote in message
...
Has anyone come up with a good method of labeling
their jars after canning? I now use a permanent
marker on the lid, but a nice, tough, waterproof, durable
label would be nice. Something you could put
in an ink jet printer would be even better.

I'm curious to what others have found best.

Thanks,

Jim




  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2012, 04:36 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 110
Default Labels for Ball Jars

In article , Lyn Murray
wrote:

I've been using standard Avery address labels for years - 2.5 inch by 1 inch
and I put them on the jar itself. I use Word and Avery template # 5160.

To get them off - pour a little boiling water over them for 15-30 seconds
and the labels peel right off with no residue. If they have been run
through the dishwasher with the labels on, soak them in hot water, peel off
what you can and remove the rest with a plastic scrubber.


Lee Valley sells water soluble labels. Wash the jar and the label
dissolves.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=52558&cat=2,2120,33279

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-02-2012, 07:25 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
NT
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 46
Default Labels for Ball Jars

On Feb 5, 4:36*am, Dave Balderstone
wrote:
In article , Lyn Murray

wrote:
I've been using standard Avery address labels for years - 2.5 inch by 1 inch
and I put them on the jar itself. *I use Word and Avery template # 5160.


To get them off - pour a little boiling water over them for 15-30 seconds
and the labels peel right off with no residue. *If they have been run
through the dishwasher with the labels on, soak them in hot water, peel off
what you can and remove the rest with a plastic scrubber.


Lee Valley sells water soluble labels. Wash the jar and the label
dissolves.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=52558&cat=2,2120,33279


Why would one need to buy labels, just print what you want on paper
and stick it to the jar with wallpaper paste. Soak in cold water to
remove.


NT
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-02-2012, 02:57 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 79
Default Labels for Ball Jars

On 2/8/2012 1:25 AM, NT wrote:
On Feb 5, 4:36 am, Dave
wrote:
In , Lyn Murray

wrote:
I've been using standard Avery address labels for years - 2.5 inch by 1 inch
and I put them on the jar itself. I use Word and Avery template # 5160.


To get them off - pour a little boiling water over them for 15-30 seconds
and the labels peel right off with no residue. If they have been run
through the dishwasher with the labels on, soak them in hot water, peel off
what you can and remove the rest with a plastic scrubber.


Lee Valley sells water soluble labels. Wash the jar and the label
dissolves.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=52558&cat=2,2120,33279


Why would one need to buy labels, just print what you want on paper
and stick it to the jar with wallpaper paste. Soak in cold water to
remove.


NT


I just write the processing date on the lid. If I can't tell what it is
by looking, it's too old. ;-)
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19-02-2012, 02:37 AM posted to rec.food.preserving
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,896
Default Labels for Ball Jars

In article ,
Shawn Martin wrote:

On 2/8/2012 1:25 AM, NT wrote:
Why would one need to buy labels, just print what you want on paper
and stick it to the jar with wallpaper paste. Soak in cold water to
remove.


NT


I just write the processing date on the lid. If I can't tell what it is
by looking, it's too old. ;-)


LOL!
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 20-02-2012, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,186
Default Labels for Ball Jars

On 2/18/2012 8:37 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In ,
Shawn wrote:

On 2/8/2012 1:25 AM, NT wrote:
Why would one need to buy labels, just print what you want on paper
and stick it to the jar with wallpaper paste. Soak in cold water to
remove.


NT


I just write the processing date on the lid. If I can't tell what it is
by looking, it's too old. ;-)


LOL!

I take it you're home again. Welcome back to the mainland.

George
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 20-02-2012, 07:42 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 64
Default Labels for Ball Jars

I write the date on the lid and stick a post-it note on the shelf in
front of the jars telling what's in them....Carol

  #12 (permalink)  
Old 20-02-2012, 10:54 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,186
Default Labels for Ball Jars

On 2/20/2012 1:42 PM, Carol S wrote:
I write the date on the lid and stick a post-it note on the shelf in
front of the jars telling what's in them....Carol

I just do like Shawn does, use a Sharpie on the lid, if the contents are
ambiguous I just write what is in on the lid too. The only time I use
labels is stuff I'm giving to the Altar Society for their sale or I'm
taking to the Farmer's Market. Then I use round Avery labels with the
details on it. State law here says I can sell to the public at Farmer's
Market or church sales as long as I put all the ingredients on the label
in order of magnitude and my address or phone number.

Home canned jellies and jams are sold for about $8 a pint around here.
Same goes for home made cakes, pies, cookies, etc. as long as they're
properly labeled selling is not a problem depending on the venue.

Tomorrow we're putting up Dilly Carrots, got a good crop this year and
the great grands love those things. Of course we do too.
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 21-02-2012, 03:43 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,896
Default Labels for Ball Jars

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

On 2/18/2012 8:37 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In ,
Shawn wrote:

On 2/8/2012 1:25 AM, NT wrote:
Why would one need to buy labels, just print what you want on paper
and stick it to the jar with wallpaper paste. Soak in cold water to
remove.


NT

I just write the processing date on the lid. If I can't tell what it is
by looking, it's too old. ;-)


LOL!

I take it you're home again. Welcome back to the mainland.

George


I am home. Thanks. Waiting to get more pics before I publish.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 21-02-2012, 10:58 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 277
Default Labels for Ball Jars

George Shirley wrote:
....
Tomorrow we're putting up Dilly Carrots, got a good crop this year and
the great grands love those things. Of course we do too.


glad the rains held for you George!


songbird
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2004-2014 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.