Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Labels for jars

Where are you getting your Avery label stock? I thought Susan had the
best deal a couple three years ago but she says she gets hers locally.
I'm looking for the 5294 round label.

--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 19, 2011 - Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/29/2011 4:22 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Where are you getting your Avery label stock? I thought Susan had the
> best deal a couple three years ago but she says she gets hers locally.
> I'm looking for the 5294 round label.

Here you go: http://tinyurl.com/3b6xe3x

I bought 200 generic round labels on Amazon a year ago and still have a
bunch of them. Paid less than for the Avery labels too, couldn't find
them again today though.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article > ,
George Shirley > wrote:

> On 7/29/2011 4:22 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Where are you getting your Avery label stock? I thought Susan had the
> > best deal a couple three years ago but she says she gets hers locally.
> > I'm looking for the 5294 round label.
> >

> Here you go: http://tinyurl.com/3b6xe3x
>
> I bought 200 generic round labels on Amazon a year ago and still have a
> bunch of them. Paid less than for the Avery labels too, couldn't find
> them again today though.

Thanks, Jorge. I've used no-name labels and have not liked them. I'll
look at the Avery on Amazon -- no sales tax on those. And I won't have
to hunt locally.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011 -- lots of news
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 16:22:15 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Where are you getting your Avery label stock? I thought Susan had the
>best deal a couple three years ago but she says she gets hers locally.
>I'm looking for the 5294 round label.

I sent a message to Barb and thought I would pass the information on
to everyone.

http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewProduct.asp?SKU=AVE5294

This company has office supplies, etc. at great prices. I bought
photo sleeves from them to keep my seeds in. I put them in binders
and I can usually find what I am looking for, especially if I put them
back in the correct place.

I will be ordering my next batch of labels from them.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 16:22:15 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Where are you getting your Avery label stock? I thought Susan had the
>best deal a couple three years ago but she says she gets hers locally.
>I'm looking for the 5294 round label.

Hi Barb,

Just happened to be looking for some different labels so I took a look
for the 5294 as well.
Don't really know what's a good price for those labels but, if you do
the Ebay thing, Ebay Item 160438750677 is the Avery 5294.
For a package of 300 labels, the Buy It Now price is $13.49 with free
UPS shipping in the US.

Ross.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 12:41:22 -0400, Ross@home wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 16:22:15 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>
>>Where are you getting your Avery label stock? I thought Susan had the
>>best deal a couple three years ago but she says she gets hers locally.
>>I'm looking for the 5294 round label.

>Hi Barb,
>
>Just happened to be looking for some different labels so I took a look
>for the 5294 as well.
>Don't really know what's a good price for those labels but, if you do
>the Ebay thing, Ebay Item 160438750677 is the Avery 5294.
>For a package of 300 labels, the Buy It Now price is $13.49 with free
>UPS shipping in the US.
>
>Ross.

$8.99 is the price on the link I gave. Less in quantities.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, Ross@home
wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 16:22:15 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >Where are you getting your Avery label stock? I thought Susan had the
> >best deal a couple three years ago but she says she gets hers locally.
> >I'm looking for the 5294 round label.

> Hi Barb,
>
> Just happened to be looking for some different labels so I took a look
> for the 5294 as well.
> Don't really know what's a good price for those labels but, if you do
> the Ebay thing, Ebay Item 160438750677 is the Avery 5294.
> For a package of 300 labels, the Buy It Now price is $13.49 with free
> UPS shipping in the US.
>
> Ross.

Thanks, Ross. I think I can do better with Susan's link -- will check
shipping for more than one item.

--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 13:10:49 -0400, The Cook >
wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 12:41:22 -0400, Ross@home wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 16:22:15 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>>
>>>Where are you getting your Avery label stock? I thought Susan had the
>>>best deal a couple three years ago but she says she gets hers locally.
>>>I'm looking for the 5294 round label.

>>Hi Barb,
>>
>>Just happened to be looking for some different labels so I took a look
>>for the 5294 as well.
>>Don't really know what's a good price for those labels but, if you do
>>the Ebay thing, Ebay Item 160438750677 is the Avery 5294.
>>For a package of 300 labels, the Buy It Now price is $13.49 with free
>>UPS shipping in the US.
>>
>>Ross.

>$8.99 is the price on the link I gave. Less in quantities.

That sure is a better price!
mine ;-).
Too bad shipping to Canada always ends up being so expensive.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 29/07/2011 17:22, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Where are you getting your Avery label stock? I thought Susan had the
> best deal a couple three years ago but she says she gets hers locally.
> I'm looking for the 5294 round label.

I wouldn't use Avery labels. The gum is no****er soluble and if it is
for your own use, write on the cap.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 16:59:39 -0400, Hodgson >
wrote:

>On 29/07/2011 17:22, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> Where are you getting your Avery label stock? I thought Susan had the
>> best deal a couple three years ago but she says she gets hers locally.
>> I'm looking for the 5294 round label.
>>

>I wouldn't use Avery labels. The gum is no****er soluble and if it is
>for your own use, write on the cap.

I put the labels on the lid. That way I don't have to try to get them
off. I believe that Barbara sells some of her work and doesn't worry
about getting the jars back.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:

>On 29/07/2011 17:22, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> Where are you getting your Avery label stock? I thought Susan had the
>> best deal a couple three years ago but she says she gets hers locally.
>> I'm looking for the 5294 round label.
>>

>I wouldn't use Avery labels. The gum is no****er soluble and if it is
>for your own use, write on the cap.

One problem with that in this household.
After we take off the snap lid, we replace it with a plastic storage
lid. Some jarred products are obvious and then there's chutney
roulette.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Hodgson > wrote:

> On 29/07/2011 17:22, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Where are you getting your Avery label stock? I thought Susan had the
> > best deal a couple three years ago but she says she gets hers locally.
> > I'm looking for the 5294 round label.
> >

> I wouldn't use Avery labels. The gum is no****er soluble and if it is
> for your own use, write on the cap.

It's okay if you don't use Avery labels. I do and my question was where
people get them, looking for a good price on them.

I don't wish to write on the cap.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

PERFECT! Thanks, Lou!

Dusty

wrote in message news
On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 16:22:15 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>5294

Hi Mel. I can finally contribute to a great newsgroup. I used to
make beer and wine and I bought labels from:
http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Visibili...1979359&sr=8-1

I've not use d Amazon for these labels for a while, but I remember
being VERY satisfied with this very label.

Regards,
Lou

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/5/2011 12:25 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> our state added a box to allow you to pay it at the end of the year, in IL
> the position is that you owe it regardless of where you purchase it so the
> fact that the store didn't collect puts the repsonsiblity onto the comsumer
> to pay it, Lee

Does anyone actually pay it? I know I wouldn't, if I didn't buy it in
state they can go hunt for their sales tax. Example: When we visit the
kids over in Texas, we pay Texas sales tax on whatever we purchase, we
don't come home and then pay Louisiana sales tax on top of the Texas one.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

they have an easy out where you can estimate a small amount and pay... but
since i am a moderate paranoid, i suspect if i don't at least pay that the
big"they" will figure out everything i have had delivered and come gunning
for me, lol, Lee
"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. com...
> On 8/5/2011 12:25 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> our state added a box to allow you to pay it at the end of the year, in
>> IL
>> the position is that you owe it regardless of where you purchase it so
>> the
>> fact that the store didn't collect puts the repsonsiblity onto the
>> comsumer
>> to pay it, Lee

> Does anyone actually pay it? I know I wouldn't, if I didn't buy it in
> state they can go hunt for their sales tax. Example: When we visit the
> kids over in Texas, we pay Texas sales tax on whatever we purchase, we
> don't come home and then pay Louisiana sales tax on top of the Texas one.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/5/2011 9:59 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> they have an easy out where you can estimate a small amount and pay... but
> since i am a moderate paranoid, i suspect if i don't at least pay that the
> big"they" will figure out everything i have had delivered and come gunning
> for me, lol, Lee

Chicken!
> "George > wrote in message
> . com...
>> On 8/5/2011 12:25 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> our state added a box to allow you to pay it at the end of the year, in
>>> IL
>>> the position is that you owe it regardless of where you purchase it so
>>> the
>>> fact that the store didn't collect puts the repsonsiblity onto the
>>> comsumer
>>> to pay it, Lee

>> Does anyone actually pay it? I know I wouldn't, if I didn't buy it in
>> state they can go hunt for their sales tax. Example: When we visit the
>> kids over in Texas, we pay Texas sales tax on whatever we purchase, we
>> don't come home and then pay Louisiana sales tax on top of the Texas one.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

brock, brock, brooock!!!
"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. com...
> On 8/5/2011 9:59 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> they have an easy out where you can estimate a small amount and pay...
>> but
>> since i am a moderate paranoid, i suspect if i don't at least pay that
>> the
>> big"they" will figure out everything i have had delivered and come
>> gunning
>> for me, lol, Lee

> Chicken!
>> "George > wrote in message
>> . com...
>>>
>>> Does anyone actually pay it? I know I wouldn't, if I didn't buy it in
>>> state they can go hunt for their sales tax. Example: When we visit the
>>> kids over in Texas, we pay Texas sales tax on whatever we purchase, we
>>> don't come home and then pay Louisiana sales tax on top of the Texas
>>> one.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article >,
> Hodgson > wrote:
>
>> On 29/07/2011 17:22, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> Where are you getting your Avery label stock? I thought Susan had the
>>> best deal a couple three years ago but she says she gets hers locally.
>>> I'm looking for the 5294 round label.
>>>

>> I wouldn't use Avery labels. The gum is no****er soluble and if it is
>> for your own use, write on the cap.

> It's okay if you don't use Avery labels. I do and my question was where
> people get them, looking for a good price on them.
>
> I don't wish to write on the cap.

I am not the one for fancy labels. I use a DYMO label maker. I put the
labels on the lids after canning. The lids are not reusable and put them in
the recycling bin. Two lines on the labels with the product, canning method
BWB or Pressure and the date.

Avery labels are a pain to clean off the jars. I have seen dissolvable
labels in the canning section of my local store. But then do you really
like that hand written look? They do make printers that print one label at
a time instead of those sheets. But I do not know if this dissolvable
labels will work with the printers.

Then there is the cheap which I am also guilty of "Post It Sticky Notes"

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 12:55:26 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Hodgson > wrote:

>>> I wouldn't use Avery labels. The gum is no****er soluble and if it is
>>> for your own use, write on the cap.

>> It's okay if you don't use Avery labels. I do and my question was where
>> people get them, looking for a good price on them.
>>
>> I don't wish to write on the cap.

>I am not the one for fancy labels. I use a DYMO label maker. I put the
>labels on the lids after canning. The lids are not reusable and put them in
>the recycling bin. Two lines on the labels with the product, canning method
>BWB or Pressure and the date.
>
>Avery labels are a pain to clean off the jars. I have seen dissolvable
>labels in the canning section of my local store. But then do you really
>like that hand written look? They do make printers that print one label at
>a time instead of those sheets. But I do not know if this dissolvable
>labels will work with the printers.
>
>Then there is the cheap which I am also guilty of "Post It Sticky Notes"

What Barb is looking for are sheets of round labels that go through
your ink jet or laser printer. They fit on the lids so that is where
I put them so I do not have to try to remove them. The only ones that
go on the side are jars I am entering in the fair and I use regular
address labels for that.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Cook > wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 12:55:26 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
> > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>>> It's okay if you don't use Avery labels. I do and my question was where
>>> people get them, looking for a good price on them.
>>>
>>> I don't wish to write on the cap.

>> I am not the one for fancy labels. I use a DYMO label maker. I put the
>> labels on the lids after canning. The lids are not reusable and put them in
>> the recycling bin. Two lines on the labels with the product, canning method
>> BWB or Pressure and the date.
>>
>> Avery labels are a pain to clean off the jars. I have seen dissolvable
>> labels in the canning section of my local store. But then do you really
>> like that hand written look? They do make printers that print one label at
>> a time instead of those sheets. But I do not know if this dissolvable
>> labels will work with the printers.
>>
>> Then there is the cheap which I am also guilty of "Post It Sticky Notes"

> What Barb is looking for are sheets of round labels that go through
> your ink jet or laser printer. They fit on the lids so that is where
> I put them so I do not have to try to remove them. The only ones that
> go on the side are jars I am entering in the fair and I use regular
> address labels for that.

I googled "Round Labels" this is the firs link.
http://www.onlinelabels.com/round-la...FRDGKgodjBaxhQ

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Nad R wrote:
> I am not the one for fancy labels. I use a DYMO label maker. I put the
> labels on the lids after canning. The lids are not reusable and put them in
> the recycling bin. Two lines on the labels with the product, canning method
> BWB or Pressure and the date.
>
> Avery labels are a pain to clean off the jars. I have seen dissolvable
> labels in the canning section of my local store. But then do you really
> like that hand written look? They do make printers that print one label at
> a time instead of those sheets. But I do not know if this dissolvable
> labels will work with the printers.
>
> Then there is the cheap which I am also guilty of "Post It Sticky Notes"

another method is to use a permanent marker
and write on the lid with it. it wipes off
with denatured alcohol. we reuse lids that
are clean (no rust, no fungus, no dents or
scratches) for freezing sauces in jars.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving
No Name

songbird > wrote:
> Nad wrote:
>> I am not the one for fancy labels. I use a DYMO label maker. I put the
>> labels on the lids after canning. The lids are not reusable and put them in
>> the recycling bin. Two lines on the labels with the product, canning method
>> BWB or Pressure and the date.
>>
>> Avery labels are a pain to clean off the jars. I have seen dissolvable
>> labels in the canning section of my local store. But then do you really
>> like that hand written look? They do make printers that print one label at
>> a time instead of those sheets. But I do not know if this dissolvable
>> labels will work with the printers.
>>
>> Then there is the cheap which I am also guilty of "Post It Sticky Notes"

> another method is to use a permanent marker
> and write on the lid with it. it wipes off
> with denatured alcohol. we reuse lids that
> are clean (no rust, no fungus, no dents or
> scratches) for freezing sauces in jars.
>

> songbird

The permanent marker does sound like my style. But I still throw the lids
away, I usually have to pry them off with a butter knife. I also have mason
jar sealer for my Food Saver for dry goods like rice and lentils. For the
dry sealing new lids that never went through the heat work well for
repeated use.

For reusability I use the white plastic lids from ball after I open the
jars of food that I have canned. I also use the white lids for the freezer
jams.

http://www.amazon.com/36010-Mason-Ca...3003907&sr=8-3

--
Nad
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote:
> songbird > wrote:
>> Nad wrote:
>>> I am not the one for fancy labels. I use a DYMO label maker. I put the
>>> labels on the lids after canning. The lids are not reusable and put them in
>>> the recycling bin. Two lines on the labels with the product, canning method
>>> BWB or Pressure and the date.
>>>
>>> Avery labels are a pain to clean off the jars. I have seen dissolvable
>>> labels in the canning section of my local store. But then do you really
>>> like that hand written look? They do make printers that print one label at
>>> a time instead of those sheets. But I do not know if this dissolvable
>>> labels will work with the printers.
>>>
>>> Then there is the cheap which I am also guilty of "Post It Sticky Notes"

>> another method is to use a permanent marker
>> and write on the lid with it. it wipes off
>> with denatured alcohol. we reuse lids that
>> are clean (no rust, no fungus, no dents or
>> scratches) for freezing sauces in jars.

> The permanent marker does sound like my style. But I still throw the lids
> away, I usually have to pry them off with a butter knife.

the method i use for home canned stuff is to
put my hand around the jar just below the lid
and then using a flat blade of any kind to
pop the lid. i don't use anything sharp or
that will actually bend the lid. it takes a
little practice, but it works and it doesn't
mark or bend the lid at all so i can reuse
them.

> I also have mason
> jar sealer for my Food Saver for dry goods like rice and lentils. For the
> dry sealing new lids that never went through the heat work well for
> repeated use.

i don't mind if dry goods don't have a
fully sealed lid as hand tight is good
enough. if i was going to store things
for years at a time then i would actually
heat the lids to get the seal ring soft
and then quickly tighten it down as tight
as i could.

> For reusability I use the white plastic lids from ball after I open the
> jars of food that I have canned. I also use the white lids for the freezer
> jams.

i don't like plastic for much of anything
that comes in contact with food. i don't
like how it absorbs grease and holds stains
and smells even after washed. sometimes i
get too distinct of an odd taste given off
from the plastic. i detest that as much as
freezer smell/burn kind of smell/taste. ew.
if there were other ways of canning that
didn't involve plastic coated lids i'd like
that too. screw top jars with glass lids
that sealed using some kind of rubber ring
that stayed well away from the food is
something i really liked. i don't look for
them though. might be some out there someplace
but i'm not going to be buying anything new
this season if i can help it.

> http://www.amazon.com/36010-Mason-Ca...3003907&sr=8-3

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving
No Name

songbird > wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> For reusability I use the white plastic lids from ball after I open the
>> jars of food that I have canned. I also use the white lids for the freezer
>> jams.

> i don't like plastic for much of anything
> that comes in contact with food. i don't
> like how it absorbs grease and holds stains
> and smells even after washed. sometimes i
> get too distinct of an odd taste given off
> from the plastic. i detest that as much as
> freezer smell/burn kind of smell/taste. ew.
> if there were other ways of canning that
> didn't involve plastic coated lids i'd like
> that too. screw top jars with glass lids
> that sealed using some kind of rubber ring
> that stayed well away from the food is
> something i really liked. i don't look for
> them though. might be some out there someplace
> but i'm not going to be buying anything new
> this season if i can help it.

With the rings and lids for regular use like jam the lids always stick to
the top and my fingers get sticky after several days. The plastic lids
comes off in a single turn with no sticky fingers I suppose everyone
has their own way of doing things and nothing wrong with that. But I do
like marker idea and will change, a simple thought for doing things.

My budget is limited as also and I have no plans to buy anything.... Except
.

I do have my eye on a small 8 quart tall stockpot. The 12 quart is just to
big for me, but it does job and i can save my pennies if i do not buy it.
The desires of materialism

--
Nad

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> wrote:
> songbird wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> For reusability I use the white plastic lids from ball after I open the
>>> jars of food that I have canned. I also use the white lids for the freezer
>>> jams.

>> i don't like plastic for much of anything
>> that comes in contact with food. i don't
>> like how it absorbs grease and holds stains
>> and smells even after washed. sometimes i
>> get too distinct of an odd taste given off
>> from the plastic. i detest that as much as
>> freezer smell/burn kind of smell/taste. ew.
>> if there were other ways of canning that
>> didn't involve plastic coated lids i'd like
>> that too. screw top jars with glass lids
>> that sealed using some kind of rubber ring
>> that stayed well away from the food is
>> something i really liked. i don't look for
>> them though. might be some out there someplace
>> but i'm not going to be buying anything new
>> this season if i can help it.

> With the rings and lids for regular use like jam the lids always stick to
> the top and my fingers get sticky after several days. The plastic lids
> comes off in a single turn with no sticky fingers I suppose everyone
> has their own way of doing things and nothing wrong with that. But I do
> like marker idea and will change, a simple thought for doing things.

if i get gunk on the rim or lid then i wipe it
off with a clean damp cloth (no soap) and then
it doesn't stick much. i usually avoid getting
gunk on the rim or lid because i scoop it out
using a spoon instead of using a knife. for
things that pour i wipe the rim before putting
the lid back on. keeps less gunk out of the
fridge and off the counters and... i'd like
to think i'm finicky, but after living in the
place i called the roach motel for a few years
i learned to keep things cleaned up and that
avoided a lot of troubles.

> My budget is limited as also and I have no plans to buy anything.... Except
>.

i stretch my canning budget by reusing
store bought jam/jelly/pickle/etc. jars.
anything that doesn't overly stain or
stink up the lid. they come in handy for
small odds and ends of batches or for
things i don't have a lot of $ invested in
to put up (like rhubarb sauce). most jars
and lids i've been able to use at least
four times before the lid doesn't seal
well enough to get a pop. then for those
i stick them in the fridge and eat them
first (after that they get recycled or
used for dry good storage). i'm talking
about things like jam or jellies or high
acid items. not anything with meat or
tomatoey stuff that stains the lids. i
don't reuse those often, but if i run out
of bigger jars and need something temporary
and don't want to stain a new lid i'll
put a piece of a plastic bread bag over
the jar and then put the top on. it will
seal well enough and not stain the lid.

simple things that i don't recommend for
everyone, but so far i've not had troubles
with this at all. don't get sick from
things as i'm pretty careful about processing
and food handling practices.

> I do have my eye on a small 8 quart tall stockpot. The 12 quart is just to
> big for me, but it does job and i can save my pennies if i do not buy it.
> The desires of materialism

one way to justify it is to do the
math about how much energy you are
using extra to heat up more water than
is needed doing a smaller batch.

glad to be of service. heehee.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/10/2011 8:58 PM, lid wrote:
> > wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> For reusability I use the white plastic lids from ball after I open the
>>> jars of food that I have canned. I also use the white lids for the freezer
>>> jams.

>> i don't like plastic for much of anything
>> that comes in contact with food. i don't
>> like how it absorbs grease and holds stains
>> and smells even after washed. sometimes i
>> get too distinct of an odd taste given off
>> from the plastic. i detest that as much as
>> freezer smell/burn kind of smell/taste. ew.
>> if there were other ways of canning that
>> didn't involve plastic coated lids i'd like
>> that too. screw top jars with glass lids
>> that sealed using some kind of rubber ring
>> that stayed well away from the food is
>> something i really liked. i don't look for
>> them though. might be some out there someplace
>> but i'm not going to be buying anything new
>> this season if i can help it.

> With the rings and lids for regular use like jam the lids always stick to
> the top and my fingers get sticky after several days. The plastic lids
> comes off in a single turn with no sticky fingers I suppose everyone
> has their own way of doing things and nothing wrong with that. But I do
> like marker idea and will change, a simple thought for doing things.
>
> My budget is limited as also and I have no plans to buy anything.... Except
> .
>
> I do have my eye on a small 8 quart tall stockpot. The 12 quart is just to
> big for me, but it does job and i can save my pennies if i do not buy it.
> The desires of materialism

I've two of the eight-quart stainless steel stock pots. One was made in
China, the other in India. The Chinese one was so thin it got holes in
it pretty quick. The Indian one is much sturdier and only cost me about
ten or twelve dollars a few years back. The one thing wrong with all of
them is that the handles are riveted on and the pot will leak at the
rivets when overfilled with water or anything else. Other than that I
love the small pot, I can do four pints or stack eight half-pints and
can also do about three quarts if necessary. For small lot jelly/jam
making they're ideal.

Then you need to scout the thrift stores for rice pot grates, those
little stainless or chrome plated trivets with short legs. I carry a
note in my wallet with the diameter of each of my pots written on it.
When in thrift stores I whip out my small pocket measuring tape and
check the ones laying around. If worse comes to worse I just tie some
ratty old jar rings together with twist ties and use them in the bottom
of the pot. Have also just stuck a folded dish towel in there and it worked.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 10, 2:38*pm, > wrote:
> songbird > wrote:
> > Nad wrote:
> >> I am not the one for fancy labels. I use a DYMO label maker. I put the
> >> labels on the lids after canning. The lids are not reusable and put them in
> >> the recycling bin. Two lines on the labels with the product, canning method
> >> BWB or Pressure and the date.

> >> Avery labels are a pain to clean off the jars. I have seen dissolvable
> >> labels in the canning section of my local store. But then do you really
> >> like that hand written look? *They do make printers that print one label at
> >> a time instead of those sheets. But I do not know if this dissolvable
> >> labels will work with the printers.

> >> Then there is the cheap which I am also guilty of "Post It Sticky Notes"

> > * another method is to use a permanent marker
> > and write on the lid with it. *it wipes off
> > with denatured alcohol. *we reuse lids that
> > are clean (no rust, no fungus, no dents or
> > scratches) for freezing sauces in jars.

> > * songbird

> The permanent marker does sound like my style. But I still throw the lids
> away, I usually have to pry them off with a butter knife. I also have mason
> jar sealer for my Food Saver for dry goods like rice and lentils. For the
> dry sealing new lids that never went through the heat work well for
> repeated use.
>
> For reusability I use the white plastic lids from ball after I open the
> jars of food that I have canned. I also use the white lids for the freezer
> jams.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/36010-Mason-Ca...ge/dp/B001ASXI...
>
> --
> Nad

I also just use a permanent marker on the lids to mark my jars. I
like the plastic screw on lids for stuff kept in the refrigerator, I
have found that some peanut butter brands jar lids fit the regular
canning jar perfectly, I know that the Aldi's brand peanut butter lids
work.
Connie TC
Posted to rec.food.preserving
No Name

George Shirley > wrote:
> On 8/10/2011 8:58 PM, lid wrote:
>>
>> I do have my eye on a small 8 quart tall stockpot. The 12 quart is just to
>> big for me, but it does job and i can save my pennies if i do not buy it.
>> The desires of materialism
>>

> I've two of the eight-quart stainless steel stock pots. One was made in
> China, the other in India. The Chinese one was so thin it got holes in it
> pretty quick. The Indian one is much sturdier and only cost me about ten
> or twelve dollars a few years back. The one thing wrong with all of them
> is that the handles are riveted on and the pot will leak at the rivets
> when overfilled with water or anything else. Other than that I love the
> small pot, I can do four pints or stack eight half-pints and can also do
> about three quarts if necessary. For small lot jelly/jam making they're ideal.
>
> Then you need to scout the thrift stores for rice pot grates, those
> little stainless or chrome plated trivets with short legs. I carry a note
> in my wallet with the diameter of each of my pots written on it. When in
> thrift stores I whip out my small pocket measuring tape and check the
> ones laying around. If worse comes to worse I just tie some ratty old jar
> rings together with twist ties and use them in the bottom of the pot.
> Have also just stuck a folded dish towel in there and it worked.

Thanks for the look out on the quality of the pots and the rice grates. I
know I need a tall pot, some of the regular size pots will barely cover the
jars. I have been carrying a folded up sheet of paper with the size I want.
If the paper fits in the pot it would be the correct size. I have seen a
stockpot by faberware that would fit three jars perfectly, but it was a
non-stick and I am not sure I want a non stick for soups and other things.

I want to do some small batch preserving at times and do not want to bring
out the big canning equipment just for the small items.

--
Nad
Posted to rec.food.preserving

lid wrote:

>>> I do have my eye on a small 8 quart tall stockpot. The 12 quart is just to
>>> big for me, but it does job and i can save my pennies if i do not buy it.
>>> The desires of materialism
>>>

>> I've two of the eight-quart stainless steel stock pots. One was made in
>> China, the other in India. The Chinese one was so thin it got holes in it
>> pretty quick. The Indian one is much sturdier and only cost me about ten
>> or twelve dollars a few years back. The one thing wrong with all of them
>> is that the handles are riveted on and the pot will leak at the rivets
>> when overfilled with water or anything else. Other than that I love the
>> small pot, I can do four pints or stack eight half-pints and can also do
>> about three quarts if necessary. For small lot jelly/jam making they're ideal.
>>
>> Then you need to scout the thrift stores for rice pot grates, those
>> little stainless or chrome plated trivets with short legs. I carry a note
>> in my wallet with the diameter of each of my pots written on it. When in
>> thrift stores I whip out my small pocket measuring tape and check the
>> ones laying around. If worse comes to worse I just tie some ratty old jar
>> rings together with twist ties and use them in the bottom of the pot.
>> Have also just stuck a folded dish towel in there and it worked.

> Thanks for the look out on the quality of the pots and the rice grates. I
> know I need a tall pot, some of the regular size pots will barely cover the
> jars. I have been carrying a folded up sheet of paper with the size I want.
> If the paper fits in the pot it would be the correct size. I have seen a
> stockpot by faberware that would fit three jars perfectly, but it was a
> non-stick and I am not sure I want a non stick for soups and other things.

I only use non-stick frying pans plus I have a small non-stick wok,
worthless for woking anything but useful for stir fry at lower heats. I
find the stainless pots are pretty cheap, look to be about two gallon
size, just right for small batch canning.

> I want to do some small batch preserving at times and do not want to bring
> out the big canning equipment just for the small items.

Amen, plus the small pots heat up a lot quicker. Another newsgroup had a
thread about whether or not hot water from the tap comes to a boil
quicker than cold water. Anyone who has ever boiled water would
understand that the added heat of the hot water from the tap will
shorten the time to boil. I've always done it that way as did my Mom and
Grandmother. I've actually done three or four half pint jars in a stew
pot, still need at least an inch of water covering the jars but it sure
goes quicker than the big boiling water kettle.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Storrmmee wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote:
>> Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

>>> We pay sales tax from Amazon. How come you don't? Or is it just
>>> those items don't have sales tax in MN?

Businesses that maintain a presence in states that have a sales tax have
to collect sales tax for that state. It sounds like Amazon has a
shipping facility in MN.

>> I live in Louisiana Ranee and also don't pay sales tax for stuff from
>> Amazon or eBay and most other online stores. Maybe your state has a deal
>> with Amazon to collect the taxes. Louisiana tried to pass a law requiring
>> sales tax collection from online stores this past legislative session and
>> it was voted down very strongly.

It is explicit in the US Constitution that no taxes can be charged on
any interstate shipments. In fact this is arguably the reason why the
US is now the world's largest economy - When the Constitution was
adopted in 1789 it established the world's largest free trade zone.
Free trade zones have a powerful long term effect of triggering
prosperity.

> our state added a box to allow you to pay it at the end of the year, in IL
> the position is that you owe it regardless of where you purchase it so the
> fact that the store didn't collect puts the repsonsiblity onto the comsumer
> to pay it

On the other hand, Amazon does not want to hassle with the states. I
think they do collect the tax no matter that it's unconstitutional.

More than one state has passed such unconstititional taxes over the
years. They always get overthrown by the Supreme Court of the US but
they do stay active for a while.

Labels for Ball Jars Jim[_25_] Preserving 14 21-02-2012 10:58 PM
Review of Preserve Labels and Jars in the UK HelixStalwart Preserving 0 29-09-2005 06:00 PM
More On Labels rwh Wine 0 13-04-2005 05:10 AM
Labels labatyd Winemaking 21 30-12-2004 10:34 PM
What labels do you use? Rob Winemaking 14 29-12-2003 10:40 PM