Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Labels for Ball Jars

On 2/20/2012 1:42 PM, Carol S wrote:
> I write the date on the lid and stick a post-it note on the shelf in
> front of the jars telling what's in them....Carol

I just do like Shawn does, use a Sharpie on the lid, if the contents are
ambiguous I just write what is in on the lid too. The only time I use
labels is stuff I'm giving to the Altar Society for their sale or I'm
taking to the Farmer's Market. Then I use round Avery labels with the
details on it. State law here says I can sell to the public at Farmer's
Market or church sales as long as I put all the ingredients on the label
in order of magnitude and my address or phone number.

Home canned jellies and jams are sold for about $8 a pint around here.
Same goes for home made cakes, pies, cookies, etc. as long as they're
properly labeled selling is not a problem depending on the venue.

Tomorrow we're putting up Dilly Carrots, got a good crop this year and
the great grands love those things. Of course we do too.