Putting up pickles

Old 15-06-2009, 04:57 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Putting up pickles

Got five lbs of cuke spears soaking in a brine bath in the crock as I
write this. Cut off the blossom ends, also the vine ends, quartered
them. They're National Pickling cukes, developed for pickles naturally.

I'm making Dill Pickle Spears from the Joy of Pickling book, probably
end up with four or five quart jars full. The next batch of cukes plus
onions and bell peppers will be made into relish. Made the recipe last
year and we, including all the descendants, enjoyed it rhinocerously. I
think the recipe I used came from the Big Ball book but the one I'm
looking at right now is from So Easy To Preserve, looks to about the
same so the relish should end up about the same.

We're harvesting sweet chiles and cukes about every other day, still no
slicing tomatoes though, only the cherries. The !@#$%^ red birds are
pecking the green toms so we put the bird netting over the tomato plants
this morning and over the fig tree, the figs are just starting to ripen.
Still have fig jam from last year so am wondering maybe fig wine this
year. Who knows?

At any rate, it is the hot season, supposed to be 94F today and 95 or
more tomorrow, no rain in sight either.

What's everyone doing this week?
Old 20-06-2009, 04:46 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

try some 'figgy puddin' instead. about the pickles.....toss in at least 5
different kinds of hot peppers with the cukes and call them
Pentecostal...the kind that makes you sweat and claim you saw Jesus when you
bit into it.
-ginny

Old 20-06-2009, 01:24 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
[...]

Neither of us nor our kids can handle hot stuff anymore. I even quit
making my own hot sauce. When I run up on a pickle recipe that calls for
hot chiles I just leave those devils out.
Old 23-06-2009, 01:38 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Virginia Tadrzynski" wrote in message

[...]

Lord awmighty, that was funny. Bless yr heart.
Edrena