Pressure Canning and leaking

Old 05-09-2007, 01:57 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Pressure Canning and leaking

I canned some crushed tomatoes and in a few cases some of the liquid
bubbled out during the canning procedure.

Still safe to keep it? (other than having to wipe down the cooled
bottles)

Old 05-09-2007, 02:46 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

In article .com,
Robert Moulton wrote:

I canned some crushed tomatoes and in a few cases some of the liquid
bubbled out during the canning procedure.

Still safe to keep it? (other than having to wipe down the cooled
bottles)

After 24 hours can you lift the jar by the lid? Remove the ring and
carefully position your fingers around the perimeter of the flat sealed
lid. Do this above a padded surface in case the lid comes off. If you
can lift the jar by the lid and it stays intact, you should be fine.

How full did you pack the jars? Instructions say to leave 1/2"
headspace but that doesn't seem like much to me. I think some folks
here leave an inch - that's more space for bubbling inside the jar.
Also, are you following instructions carefully for letting pressure drop
on its own off the heat and then letting the jars sit in the hot water
for 10 minutes after you've removed the canner lid?

I'll be watching to see what others say.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
For your listening pleasu http://www.am1500.com/pcast/80509.mp3 --
Old 06-09-2007, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.preserving

I left an inch or more in order to try to avoid the bubble over but I
think because the crushed tomatoes were so thick bubbles formed
trapped amongst the tomatoes and that led to the leaking.

Well the seals are good so it looks like I am ok.

Yes, I let the jars cool down slowly (75 minutes) in the canner before
taking the lid off. When I open up and look in I can see the water is
discoloured from overflow.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:37 AM posted to rec.food.preserving

"Robert Moulton" wrote in message
oups.com...
I canned some crushed tomatoes and in a few cases some of the liquid
bubbled out during the canning procedure.

Still safe to keep it? (other than having to wipe down the cooled
bottles)

I just opened and ate a jar of turkey soup during dinner that I pressure
canned last thanksgiving that did a similar thing (weeping in the canner
during
cooldown) and I'm still alive. ;-)

It doesen't matter what the can lid does as long as the food temp
is 240F. During the pressure canner cooldown, the inside of the
canner is positive with respect to atmospheric and so the inside
remains sterile. During this time the food temp starts dropping
and as soon as that happens, the inside of the jar pressure starts
to drop and pulls the jar lid into a seal. As long as all jars have
sealed themselves before the pressure canner reaches atmospheric
pressure, it's impossible for germs to get inside the canner and
thus inside the jars.

This is why it's important to let the canner cool down by itself
and not pull the pressure release as soon as processing is over,
or pull the lid off or some such.

Ted