Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default pressure canning

hello all.
question: I am putting up bread and butter pickles and would like to
use my pressure canner instead of a bwb. is there a chart out there that
would show the processing time difference for a pressure canner vs. a bwb?

I am not using my pressure canner AS a bwb but want to pressure can the
pickles, I feel it takes less time, dont have to wait an hour to get
enough boiling water. I have done this before ,for tomato juice , where
the quality is not affected, but worry the pressure canning might make
the pickles mushy if processed the same amount of time as a bwb.
thanks for any help
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/16/2014 5:46 AM, dave wrote:
> hello all.
> question: I am putting up bread and butter pickles and would like
> to use my pressure canner instead of a bwb. is there a chart out there
> that would show the processing time difference for a pressure canner
> vs. a bwb?
>
> I am not using my pressure canner AS a bwb but want to pressure can the
> pickles, I feel it takes less time, dont have to wait an hour to get
> enough boiling water. I have done this before ,for tomato juice , where
> the quality is not affected, but worry the pressure canning might make
> the pickles mushy if processed the same amount of time as a bwb.
> thanks for any help

Most likely you will make your pickles mushy due to the high heat and
the 11 pounds per square inch gauge (psig) pressure. Won't speed up the
canning either.

I always start the BWB off first, getting the water boiling while I am
preparing the pickles for jarring. From there on it takes little time
and effort to jar the pickled whatever, put on the sterile, warm lid,
and ring and then into the BWB.

Stick with the BWB for your pickles and you will nearly always get a
good product. Your best bet is to follow the food safety guidelines at:
http://nchfp.uga.edu/

George
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
hello all.
question: I am putting up bread and butter pickles and would like to
use my pressure canner instead of a bwb. is there a chart out there that
would show the processing time difference for a pressure canner vs. a bwb?

I am not using my pressure canner AS a bwb but want to pressure can the
pickles, I feel it takes less time, dont have to wait an hour to get
enough boiling water. I have done this before ,for tomato juice , where
the quality is not affected, but worry the pressure canning might make
the pickles mushy if processed the same amount of time as a bwb.
thanks for any help
Dittos to what George said. Pressure canning of pickles should not be needed. Now tomatoes are a horse of different color. The important aspect on those is making sure its acidic enough..which isn't an issue with pickled products.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

We made pickles around 2 months ago. We used neither the pressure canner nor
BWB.
We sterilized the jars and lids.
Added Hot (right off the stove boiling) vinegar & lemon pepper to dill, red pepper, garlic and peppercorns which had been placed in the very HOT jars.
Put on the lids and let sit for 3 weeks on the counter before eating.
Crisp and Delicious Pickles.
We used lemon pepper instead of salt since I can't eat salt due to blood pressure.
We couldn't even taste the difference between lemon pepper and salt.
This is a recipe I found in the 70's.
We also made pickled okra this way.
I don't believe you can do this to any other food without BWB or the pressure canner.
Carol
Posted to rec.food.preserving

This is an old method called "open-kettle" canning that is now considered unsafe according to the National Center for Home Food Preservation (and the USDA). And that is because, using this method, the temperature does not get hot enough to kill organisms that can cause food poisoning or spoilage.

<http://nchfp.uga.edu/questions/FAQ_canning.html#12>

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/19/2014 5:16 PM, Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> This is an old method called "open-kettle" canning that is now considered unsafe according to the National Center for Home Food Preservation (and the USDA). And that is because, using this method, the temperature does not get hot enough to kill organisms that can cause food poisoning or spoilage.
>
> <http://nchfp.uga.edu/questions/FAQ_canning.html#12>

That one has been out of fashion for a very long time. Even in the
forties and fifties my folks didn't use that. My core family seldom used
pressure canners. Before they got a home freezer we had a "locker" at a
place that provided lockers for rent in a big freezer. My mother told me
that someone in her family had processed food in the manner above and
the whole family nearly died from food poisoning. In the mid-fifties
they bought a pressure canner/cooker. Miz Anne and I bought ours at
Sears in the very early sixties and we still use it.

I had nearly forgotten that method Isabella, good reminder to stay away
from that one.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2014-08-16 10:46:41 +0000, dave said:

> hello all.
> question: I am putting up bread and butter pickles and would like to
> use my pressure canner instead of a bwb. is there a chart out there
> that would show the processing time difference for a pressure canner
> vs. a bwb?
>
> I am not using my pressure canner AS a bwb but want to pressure can the
> pickles, I feel it takes less time, dont have to wait an hour to get
> enough boiling water. I have done this before ,for tomato juice , where
> the quality is not affected, but worry the pressure canning might make
> the pickles mushy if processed the same amount of time as a bwb.
> thanks for any help

Pressure canning is not appropriate for canning bread & butter pickles,
but you can use the pan as a boiling water bath vessel, assuming
there's room for an inch of water above the top of your filled and
sealed jars.

I can't imagine why it takes an hour to heat water. Your stove, not
mine. You could heat that water in two or three smaller kettles where
it would presumably get hot faster, then combine in one vessel for
processing your b&bs.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2014-08-19 22:16:10 +0000, Isabella Woodhouse said:

> This is an old method called "open-kettle" canning that is now
> considered unsafe according to the National Center for Home Food
> Preservation (and the USDA). And that is because, using this method,
> the temperature does not get hot enough to kill organisms that can
> cause food poisoning or spoilage.
>
> <http://nchfp.uga.edu/questions/FAQ_canning.html#12>

What she said.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Pressure Canning BBQ jginsberg General Cooking 6 13-03-2014 08:42 PM
pressure canning dave Preserving 4 06-08-2008 08:43 PM
first pressure canning attempt Jeneen Sommers Preserving 5 27-09-2005 06:09 PM
pressure canning Jeneen Sommers Preserving 2 25-08-2005 09:14 PM
Pressure COOKERS and canning Grumble69 Preserving 1 11-08-2005 02:50 PM