Posted to rec.food.preserving
Ted Mittelstaedt Ted Mittelstaedt is offline

Default Pressure Canning and leaking

"Robert Moulton" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I canned some crushed tomatoes and in a few cases some of the liquid
> bubbled out during the canning procedure.
>
> Still safe to keep it? (other than having to wipe down the cooled
> bottles)

I just opened and ate a jar of turkey soup during dinner that I pressure
canned last thanksgiving that did a similar thing (weeping in the canner
during
cooldown) and I'm still alive. ;-)

It doesen't matter what the can lid does as long as the food temp
is 240F. During the pressure canner cooldown, the inside of the
canner is positive with respect to atmospheric and so the inside
remains sterile. During this time the food temp starts dropping
and as soon as that happens, the inside of the jar pressure starts
to drop and pulls the jar lid into a seal. As long as all jars have
sealed themselves before the pressure canner reaches atmospheric
pressure, it's impossible for germs to get inside the canner and
thus inside the jars.

This is why it's important to let the canner cool down by itself
and not pull the pressure release as soon as processing is over,
or pull the lid off or some such.

Ted