Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pressure Canning BBQ

I have tried several times to pressure can pulled pork in BBQ sauce. Every time it ends up burning. My only take is the sugars in the sauce scorches at the high temps required for the canning process.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a work around?

My only idea is to can the puled pork either in broth or water separate from sauce.

Thoughts or ideas?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 10, 2014 1:40:01 PM UTC-5, John Ginsberg wrote:

> I have tried several times to pressure can pulled pork in BBQ sauce. Every time it ends up burning. My only take is the sugars in the sauce scorches at the high temps required for the canning process.
>
> Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a work around?
>
> My only idea is to can the puled pork either in broth or water separate from sauce.
>
> Thoughts or ideas?

Why not just seal your cooked meat in vacuum bags and freeze? I'm assuming you have no extra freezer space is why.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/10/2014 11:40 AM, jginsberg wrote:
> I have tried several times to pressure can pulled pork in BBQ sauce. Every time it ends up burning. My only take is the sugars in the sauce scorches at the high temps required for the canning process.
>
> Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a work around?
>
> My only idea is to can the puled pork either in broth or water separate from sauce.
>
> Thoughts or ideas?

Sugar burns/scorches at about 350 degrees F. At sea level and 15 lbs.
pressure, water only gets to about 240 degrees. I'm guessing your pulled
pork and BBQ sauce is coming into direct contact with the bottom of the
pressure cooker and therefore the heat from the burner. The temperature
at the bottom of the canner can be much more than the boiling point of
water.

The canning jars should be sitting in a wire jar rack, which keeps them
about 1/2" above the bottom of the pressure canner. The lids and rings
should already be placed on, finger-tight only. Water should surround
the jars to an inch above the top. *Then* you process the jars.

Please don't take only my word for this. There are some other details
also. Google _georgia pressure canner instructions_ for official USDA
instructions on how to use a pressure canner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:17:48 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

> I thought pressure canners were for *jars*. But I do agree, just freeze
> the cooked meat. Make the sauce and freeze it separately, too.
>
> Jill

Canning is a generic term that is used to describe preserving in jars as well as
cans. I prefer to can rather than freeze because it avoids freezer burn but more
importantly the food can be stored on an ordinary shelf.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:17:48 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I thought pressure canners were for *jars*. But I do agree, just freeze
>> the cooked meat. Make the sauce and freeze it separately, too.
>>
>> Jill

> Canning is a generic term that is used to describe preserving in jars as
> well as
> cans. I prefer to can rather than freeze because it avoids freezer burn
> but more
> importantly the food can be stored on an ordinary shelf.

and can be taken on the road easier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 16:13:49 -0700, Whirled Peas >
wrote:

>On 03/10/2014 11:40 AM, jginsberg wrote:
>> I have tried several times to pressure can pulled pork in BBQ sauce. Every time it ends up burning. My only take is the sugars in the sauce scorches at the high temps required for the canning process.
>>
>> Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a work around?
>>
>> My only idea is to can the puled pork either in broth or water separate from sauce.
>>
>> Thoughts or ideas?
>>

>Sugar burns/scorches at about 350 degrees F. At sea level and 15 lbs.
>pressure, water only gets to about 240 degrees. I'm guessing your pulled
>pork and BBQ sauce is coming into direct contact with the bottom of the
>pressure cooker and therefore the heat from the burner. The temperature
>at the bottom of the canner can be much more than the boiling point of
>water.
>
>The canning jars should be sitting in a wire jar rack, which keeps them
>about 1/2" above the bottom of the pressure canner. The lids and rings
>should already be placed on, finger-tight only. Water should surround
>the jars to an inch above the top. *Then* you process the jars.

That's for Boiling Water Bath (BWB) canning. Pressure canning just
requires the water to be 2 to 3 inches deep in the canner.
http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/ug...s_canners.html
There are also very specific recommendations for safe home canning of
meat products. I don't believe something as thick as pulled pork in
BBQ sauce would allow the high temperature necessary for safety to
penetrate to the center of the product for a long enough time.
Just my opinion, YMMV.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/13/2014 11:07 AM, Ross@home wrote:

> That's for Boiling Water Bath (BWB) canning. Pressure canning just
> requires the water to be 2 to 3 inches deep in the canner.
> http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/ug...s_canners.html
> There are also very specific recommendations for safe home canning of
> meat products. I don't believe something as thick as pulled pork in
> BBQ sauce would allow the high temperature necessary for safety to
> penetrate to the center of the product for a long enough time.
> Just my opinion, YMMV.
>
> Ross.

You're absolutely right about the water level. Thanks for the catch.

pressure canning dave Preserving 7 22-08-2014 01:43 AM
pressure canning dave Preserving 4 06-08-2008 08:43 PM
first pressure canning attempt Jeneen Sommers Preserving 5 27-09-2005 06:09 PM
pressure canning Jeneen Sommers Preserving 2 25-08-2005 09:14 PM
Pressure COOKERS and canning Grumble69 Preserving 1 11-08-2005 02:50 PM