Michael

Default Pressure cooker canning

I'm going to make some tomato sauce and can it.

I've never used my pressure cooker for this.

How long does it take using a pressure cooker?

Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water to get
things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)

I suppose after you take out the cans you wait till you hear the lids
seal....like with boiling?

THANKS

zxcvbob

Michael wrote:
> I'm going to make some tomato sauce and can it.
>
> I've never used my pressure cooker for this.
>
> How long does it take using a pressure cooker?
>
> Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water to get
> things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)
>
> I suppose after you take out the cans you wait till you hear the lids
> seal....like with boiling?
>
> THANKS

Tomato sauce? Does that mean pureed tomatoes, or tomatoes with just a
little bit of onion, garlic, and basil, or... It makes a *big*
difference in the processing time. I'll find you some links later
unless Barb beats me to it.

You really ought to use a pressure cooker that is made for canning --
they have precision gauges or regulators, a rack for the jars, and
usually are bigger than a normal pressure cooker. But if your canner is
big enough to hold a few pint canning jars and you know it maintains at
least 10 psi pressure (most pressure cookers are about 15 psi), you can
probably do some canning in it.

Put enough water in to come halfway up the jars when all the jars are in
it. The extra water will help overcome the fact that you are using a
small pressure cooker. Seal it up but leave the steam vent open for
several minutes (5 minutes?) after it starts boiling to exhaust all the
air from the canner. Then close the vent. Begin timing when the vent
starts letting off pressure. When the time is up, turn off the heat and
let the pressure cooker cool down naturally. If you try to hurry it
along, the contents will boil out of your jars.

Buy a copy of the _Ball Blue Book_ (it's about $6) wherever you buy your
canning jars and lids.

That's all for now; more to come.

Best regards,
Bob
Doug Kanter

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> Buy a copy of the _Ball Blue Book_ (it's about $6) wherever you buy your
> canning jars and lids.

That's a great book.

Pandora

"Michael" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> I'm going to make some tomato sauce and can it.
>
> I've never used my pressure cooker for this.

You can't use pressure cooker! You can't put inside cans!

> How long does it take using a pressure cooker?

You can use pressure cooker only to cook the souce.

> Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water to
> get things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)

You don't need a pressure cooker. If you want to sterilize cans of tomatoes,
put them in a large pot with cold water. The water must be about 1 1/4 inch
over the top of cans. Then wait that the water boil and count 20-30 minutes.
Then turn off the fire and let the cans in the water till the water become
cold.
You have strilized your tomatoes cans. Simple.

Pandora

>Then
> I suppose after you take out the cans you wait till you hear the lids
> seal....like with boiling?
>
> THANKS

Michael

You know, I have that book and of course, I can't find it anywhere.

My cooker is a nice one...TFAL....6 1/2 quart. I can get 4 cans in at a
time. There is a high pressure setting and a low one.....which should I use?

I want to make some simple sauce with basil and these half a million Roma
tomatos in my garden.

How long (in minutes) after it comes up to pressure?

Again, the lids snap after they start to cool, right?

Doug Kanter

I don't know - my book's at home, and I don't use a pressure cooker. Never
had any reason to use anything but a simple canning pot. You've got to find
your book. It's skinny, so it vanishes between other books.

"Michael" > wrote in message
> You know, I have that book and of course, I can't find it anywhere.
>
> My cooker is a nice one...TFAL....6 1/2 quart. I can get 4 cans in at a
> time. There is a high pressure setting and a low one.....which should I
> use?
>
> I want to make some simple sauce with basil and these half a million Roma
> tomatos in my garden.
>
> How long (in minutes) after it comes up to pressure?
>
> Again, the lids snap after they start to cool, right?

zxcvbob

Pandora wrote:
> "Michael" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>I'm going to make some tomato sauce and can it.
>>
>>I've never used my pressure cooker for this.

> You can't use pressure cooker! You can't put inside cans!
>
>>How long does it take using a pressure cooker?

> You can use pressure cooker only to cook the souce.
>
>>Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water to
>>get things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)

> You don't need a pressure cooker. If you want to sterilize cans of tomatoes,
> put them in a large pot with cold water. The water must be about 1 1/4 inch
> over the top of cans. Then wait that the water boil and count 20-30 minutes.
> Then turn off the fire and let the cans in the water till the water become
> cold.
> You have strilized your tomatoes cans. Simple.
>
> Pandora

If you're doing tomatoes without a pressure canner, you need to add a
tiny amount of lemon juice or citric acid, and even then I think the
processing time is longer than 20 or 30 minutes.

Bob
Pandora

"zxcvbob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:
>> "Michael" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>>>I'm going to make some tomato sauce and can it.
>>>
>>>I've never used my pressure cooker for this.

>> You can't use pressure cooker! You can't put inside cans!
>>
>>>How long does it take using a pressure cooker?

>> You can use pressure cooker only to cook the souce.
>>
>>>Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water to
>>>get things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)

>> You don't need a pressure cooker. If you want to sterilize cans of
>> tomatoes, put them in a large pot with cold water. The water must be
>> about 1 1/4 inch over the top of cans. Then wait that the water boil and
>> count 20-30 minutes. Then turn off the fire and let the cans in the water
>> till the water become cold.
>> You have strilized your tomatoes cans. Simple.
>>
>> Pandora
>>

> If you're doing tomatoes without a pressure canner, you need to add a tiny
> amount of lemon juice or citric acid, and even then I think the processing
> time is longer than 20 or 30 minutes.
>
> Bob

Oh no Bob! I sure you the time of sterilization for a tomatoe sauce is 20-30
minutes and that is enough (make 30 minutes if you want be in peace).
It is a life that my family make tomatoes canned like this. Here in Italy,
expecially in southern Italy use to make tomato purée in this way.
We use very large alluminium pot (like the ones used in restaurant) or great
iron tanks (when we have a great quantity of cans to do). In this case, we
envelop every bottle or can in a newspaper sheet (just to evoid the
breaking of the bottles).
In this way the tomato purée is preserved for one Year and more.
Cheers
Pandora

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Michael"
> wrote:

> I'm going to make some tomato sauce and can it.
>
> I've never used my pressure cooker for this.
>
> How long does it take using a pressure cooker?
>
> Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water to
> get
> things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)
>
> I suppose after you take out the cans you wait till you hear the lids
> seal....like with boiling?
>
> THANKS

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_03/tomato_intro.html
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_03/tomato_sauce.html

I don't find any specific information about canning in metal cans,
though. And I don't know diddly about it.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> Michael wrote:
> > I'm going to make some tomato sauce and can it.
> >
> > I've never used my pressure cooker for this.
> >
> > How long does it take using a pressure cooker?
> >
> > Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water
> > to get
> > things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)
> >
> > I suppose after you take out the cans you wait till you hear the lids
> > seal....like with boiling?
> >
> > THANKS

> Tomato sauce? Does that mean pureed tomatoes, or tomatoes with just a
> little bit of onion, garlic, and basil, or... It makes a *big*
> difference in the processing time. I'll find you some links later
> unless Barb beats me to it.

I win, I win! :-P

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can3_tomato.html
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_03/tomato_sauce.html
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_03/...veg_juice.html
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/tips/summer..._tomatoes.html
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...ga_can_tom.pdf
http://72.14.207.104/u/nchfp?q=cache...du/nchfp/publi
cations/uga/uga_can_tom.pdf+tomato+sauce&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=U TF-8%20targ
et=nw

>Put enough water in to come halfway up the jars when all the jars are
>in it. The extra water will help overcome the fact that you are using
>>a small pressure cooker. Seal it up but leave the steam vent open

>for several minutes (5 minutes?)

10 minutes, after you see steam coming from the vent. And where'd you
come up with the "halfway up the jars" thang? I'm just curious. You
know me. (Remind you of anyone who used to like to scream "Cite your
source."?

> Buy a copy of the _Ball Blue Book_ (it's about $6) wherever you buy your
> canning jars and lids.

Theoretically. www.homecanning.com, too; someone said they're pretty
fast with a delivery - I don't know that myself.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Michael"
> wrote:

> You know, I have that book and of course, I can't find it anywhere.

Make sure it's one of the most recent ones. Current one has a
cheesecake-y looking thing on it with a pile of berries (blacks?) on top.

> My cooker is a nice one...TFAL....6 1/2 quart. I can get 4 cans in at a
> time. There is a high pressure setting and a low one.....which should I
> use?

I think that size is too small to qualify for canning. I've asked the
folks at the NCHFP, but who knows when they'll reply? Somewhere in the
recesses of my mind I remember someone at the U of MN saying that
8-quarts is the minimum size for a pressure cooker to function also as a
pressure canner. But I can't prove it yet.

> I want to make some simple sauce with basil and these half a million Roma
> tomatos in my garden.

> Again, the lids snap after they start to cool, right?

Dunno. Never canned in cans.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Doug Kanter"
> wrote:

> I don't know - my book's at home, and I don't use a pressure cooker.
> Never
> had any reason to use anything but a simple canning pot. You've got to
> find
> your book. It's skinny, so it vanishes between other books.
>
> "Michael" > wrote in message
> > You know, I have that book and of course, I can't find it anywhere.
> >
> > My cooker is a nice one...TFAL....6 1/2 quart. I can get 4 cans in at a
> > time. There is a high pressure setting and a low one.....which should I
> > use?
> >
> > I want to make some simple sauce with basil and these half a million
> > Roma
> > tomatos in my garden.
> >
> > How long (in minutes) after it comes up to pressure?
> >
> > Again, the lids snap after they start to cool, right?

Doug are you also aware of the NCHFP (National Center for Home Food
Preservation) site at the U of Georgia? www.uga.edu/nchfp/ for
starters. Nice site; easy to navigate.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
The Cook

"Michael" > wrote:

>I'm going to make some tomato sauce and can it.
>
>I've never used my pressure cooker for this.
>
>How long does it take using a pressure cooker?
>
>Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water to get
>things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)
>
>I suppose after you take out the cans you wait till you hear the lids
>seal....like with boiling?
>
>THANKS

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

If you can't find your Ball Blue Book or it is an old one, use the
site above. Read the whole thing carefully.

I believe that you need a canner or pressure cooker that has 5 and 10
pound pressure settings or a dial gauge.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Doug Kanter

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>> Again, the lids snap after they start to cool, right?

> Dunno. Never canned in cans.

He's canning in jars, not cans.

zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, zxcvbob
> > wrote:
>
>>Put enough water in to come halfway up the jars when all the jars are
>>in it. The extra water will help overcome the fact that you are using
>>
>>>a small pressure cooker. Seal it up but leave the steam vent open

>>for several minutes (5 minutes?)

> 10 minutes, after you see steam coming from the vent. And where'd you
> come up with the "halfway up the jars" thang? I'm just curious. You
> know me. (Remind you of anyone who used to like to scream "Cite your
> source."?

I made it up ;-) Since Michael wants to use his pressure cooker of
dubious size and heft for canning, the extra water will add a lot of
"thermal mass" to compensate for the canner maybe being too small and light.

Bob

~patches~

Michael wrote:

> I'm going to make some tomato sauce and can it.
>
> I've never used my pressure cooker for this.
>
> How long does it take using a pressure cooker?
>
> Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water to get
> things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)
>
> I suppose after you take out the cans you wait till you hear the lids
> seal....like with boiling?
>
> THANKS

You need a pressure *canner* not cooker to pressure can low acid foods.
These are entirely two different things. While you can use a pressure
canner to cook larger roasts you *cannot* use a regular pressure cooker
to can. A good site to visit and learn about safe home presserving
including the proper equipment to use is
http://foodsafety.cas.psu.edu/canningguide.html
~patches~

zxcvbob wrote:

> Michael wrote:
>
>> I'm going to make some tomato sauce and can it.
>>
>> I've never used my pressure cooker for this.
>>
>> How long does it take using a pressure cooker?
>>
>> Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water
>> to get things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)
>>
>> I suppose after you take out the cans you wait till you hear the lids
>> seal....like with boiling?
>>
>> THANKS
>>

> Tomato sauce? Does that mean pureed tomatoes, or tomatoes with just a
> little bit of onion, garlic, and basil, or... It makes a *big*
> difference in the processing time. I'll find you some links later
> unless Barb beats me to it.
>
> You really ought to use a pressure cooker that is made for canning --
> they have precision gauges or regulators, a rack for the jars, and
> usually are bigger than a normal pressure cooker. But if your canner is
> big enough to hold a few pint canning jars and you know it maintains at
> least 10 psi pressure (most pressure cookers are about 15 psi), you can
> probably do some canning in it.
>
> Put enough water in to come halfway up the jars when all the jars are in
> it. The extra water will help overcome the fact that you are using a
> small pressure cooker. Seal it up but leave the steam vent open for
> several minutes (5 minutes?) after it starts boiling to exhaust all the
> air from the canner. Then close the vent. Begin timing when the vent
> starts letting off pressure. When the time is up, turn off the heat and
> let the pressure cooker cool down naturally. If you try to hurry it
> along, the contents will boil out of your jars.

My pressure canner came with specific instructions as to how much water
to use, the venting step that is necessary before bringing the vessel
upto pressure. Personally I wouldn't try this method. There are too
many ifs involved. The OP would need a rack for the bottom. Then at 15
psi the food will likely be mush anyway.

My suggestion to the OP would be make the sauce then freeze it and not
take the chance. I both freeze and can a variety of tomato sauces.
Those frozen come out just fine.

> Buy a copy of the _Ball Blue Book_ (it's about $6) wherever you buy your
> canning jars and lids.
>
> That's all for now; more to come.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

~patches~

Pandora wrote:

> "Michael" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>I'm going to make some tomato sauce and can it.
>>
>>I've never used my pressure cooker for this.

> You can't use pressure cooker! You can't put inside cans!
>
>>How long does it take using a pressure cooker?

> You can use pressure cooker only to cook the souce.
>
>>Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water to
>>get things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)

> You don't need a pressure cooker. If you want to sterilize cans of tomatoes,
> put them in a large pot with cold water. The water must be about 1 1/4 inch
> over the top of cans. Then wait that the water boil and count 20-30 minutes.
> Then turn off the fire and let the cans in the water till the water become
> cold.
> You have strilized your tomatoes cans. Simple.

I agree with you except some hybrid tomatoes are not acidic enough. One
recommendation is to add lemon juice or citric acid to each jar before
sealing. This will ensure proper acidity so the tomatoes can be canned
in a BWB. Bernardin's tomato sauce recommends 1 tbsp lemon juice or 1/4
tsp citric acid, 1/2 tsp salt (optional) and 1 - 2 tsp dried herbs per
500 ml jar of tomato sauce using hot pack method. Their website is
http://www.homecanning.com/index.asp for more great recipes.

> Pandora
>

>>Then

> > I suppose after you take out the cans you wait till you hear the lids

>>seal....like with boiling?
>>
>>THANKS

~patches~

zxcvbob wrote:

> Pandora wrote:
>
>> "Michael" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>>> I'm going to make some tomato sauce and can it.
>>>
>>> I've never used my pressure cooker for this.

>> You can't use pressure cooker! You can't put inside cans!
>>
>>> How long does it take using a pressure cooker?

>> You can use pressure cooker only to cook the souce.
>>
>>> Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water
>>> to get things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)

>> You don't need a pressure cooker. If you want to sterilize cans of
>> tomatoes, put them in a large pot with cold water. The water must be
>> about 1 1/4 inch over the top of cans. Then wait that the water boil
>> and count 20-30 minutes. Then turn off the fire and let the cans in
>> the water till the water become cold.
>> You have strilized your tomatoes cans. Simple.
>>
>> Pandora
>>

> If you're doing tomatoes without a pressure canner, you need to add a
> tiny amount of lemon juice or citric acid, and even then I think the
> processing time is longer than 20 or 30 minutes.
>
> Bob

Bernardin indicates 35 min for 500 ml (1 pt) jars, 40 min for L (qt jars).
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Doug Kanter"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
> >> Again, the lids snap after they start to cool, right?

> > Dunno. Never canned in cans.

> He's canning in jars, not cans.

This made me think metal cans:
"Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water
to get things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)

I suppose after you take out the cans you wait till you hear the lids
seal....like with boiling?"
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Michael"
> wrote:

> You know, I have that book and of course, I can't find it anywhere.
>
> My cooker is a nice one...TFAL....6 1/2 quart. I can get 4 cans in at a
> time. There is a high pressure setting and a low one.....which should I
> use?
>
> I want to make some simple sauce with basil and these half a million Roma
> tomatos in my garden.
>
> How long (in minutes) after it comes up to pressure?
>
> Again, the lids snap after they start to cool, right?

Michael, I was pleased to received a prompt reply to my request for info
from the NCHFP. In part, here's what I got back. I hope it helps with
knowing if your pressure cooker is suitable for use as a canner.
- - - - - -
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...s_canners.html
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/general...m_canners.html

There are canning directions from some companies for smaller units
(pressure cookers), but USDA is not prepared to endorse those
processing recommendations. So, if one chooses the smaller unit, one
is following the advice of that manufacturer, not USDA.
- - - - - - -

-Barb
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
djs0302

Michael wrote:
> I'm going to make some tomato sauce and can it.
>
> I've never used my pressure cooker for this.
>
> How long does it take using a pressure cooker?
>
> Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water to get
> things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)
>
> I suppose after you take out the cans you wait till you hear the lids
> seal....like with boiling?
>
> THANKS

It sounds like you have a pressure cooker, not a pressure canner.
There is a difference. If the item you own is a pressure canner then
be sure to read the directions. Our pressure canner holds 17 quarts of
water. Of course you can only fit 7 quart size jars in it at a time.
The directions say to add only 3 quarts of water to the canner. That's
less than 1/5 the volume of the entire canner If you add too much
water then the canner can't build up enough steam and the pressure
won't increase.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Michael"
> wrote:

> I'm going to make some tomato sauce and can it.
>
> I've never used my pressure cooker for this.
>
> How long does it take using a pressure cooker?
>
> Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water
> to get things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)
>
> I suppose after you take out the cans you wait till you hear the lids
> seal....like with boiling?

> THANKS

Michael, I inquired at the National Center for Home Food Preservation
and received this prompt response from its director:

"Here is a factsheet that has information about pressure canner
definitions, uses, etc. To be described as a pressure canner for safe
canning, USDA recommendations are that it needs to be at least of a
4-quart jar holding capacity. That gives you the height and diameter
references

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...s_canners.html
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/general...m_canners.html

There are canning directions from some companies for smaller units
(pressure cookers), but USDA is not prepared to endorse those
processing recommendations. So, if one chooses the smaller unit, one
is following the advice of that manufacturer, not USDA.

There have been 8 and 10-qt volume pressure canners that fit the USDA
definition. The 10.5 qt All American does hold 4 quart jars.
The Mirro 12 qt canner fits the definition; some older 8 qts did, but the
current Mirro 8 qt cooker does not."
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Pandora

"~patches~" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:
>
>> "Michael" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>>>I'm going to make some tomato sauce and can it.
>>>
>>>I've never used my pressure cooker for this.

>> You can't use pressure cooker! You can't put inside cans!
>>
>>>How long does it take using a pressure cooker?

>> You can use pressure cooker only to cook the souce.
>>
>>>Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water to
>>>get things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)

>> You don't need a pressure cooker. If you want to sterilize cans of
>> tomatoes, put them in a large pot with cold water. The water must be
>> about 1 1/4 inch over the top of cans. Then wait that the water boil and
>> count 20-30 minutes. Then turn off the fire and let the cans in the water
>> till the water become cold.
>> You have strilized your tomatoes cans. Simple.

> I agree with you except some hybrid tomatoes are not acidic enough. One
> recommendation is to add lemon juice or citric acid to each jar before
> sealing.

Doesen't matter the quality of tomatoes! You don't need lemon! Here in Italy
one family out of two make tomatoes in summer and sterilize the bottles or
the jars like I said, without put any lemon or other things. Ask to some
Italians if you don't believe

This will ensure proper acidity so the tomatoes can be canned
> in a BWB. Bernardin's tomato sauce recommends 1 tbsp lemon juice or 1/4
> tsp citric acid, 1/2 tsp salt (optional) and 1 - 2 tsp dried herbs per 500
> ml jar of tomato sauce using hot pack method. Their website is
> http://www.homecanning.com/index.asp for more great recipes.

Thank you.

>> Pandora
>>

>>>Then

>> > I suppose after you take out the cans you wait till you hear the lids

>>>seal....like with boiling?

When you turn off the fire, I've said, you let the jars in the water and
wait they become cold. This process cause the lowering of the central part
of the lid: infact when you try with your finger to push in the centre, you
can't ear "click" (the "click" that you ear when you close the lid after
the jar's filling.

Cheers
Pandora

>>>THANKS

Doug Kanter

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Doug Kanter"
> > wrote:

>> > Dunno. Never canned in cans.

>> He's canning in jars, not cans.

> This made me think metal cans:
> "Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water
> to get things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)
>
> I suppose after you take out the cans you wait till you hear the lids
> seal....like with boiling?"

Beats me. Using metal cans is not something I've seen recommended for home
gardeners, at least not since I began gardening in the early 1970s. I'm sure
someone will come along and contradict this, but even so, it's not common.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Doug Kanter"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "Doug Kanter"
> > > wrote:

> >> He's canning in jars, not cans.

> > This made me think metal cans:
> > "Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water
> > to get things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)
> >
> > I suppose after you take out the cans you wait till you hear the lids
> > seal....like with boiling?"

> Beats me. Using metal cans is not something I've seen recommended for
> home gardeners, at least not since I began gardening in the early
> 1970s. I'm sure someone will come along and contradict this, but even
> so, it's not common.

Nope, you're spot on. According to Dr. Elizabeth Andress, Project
Director, National Center for Home Food Preservation the USDA no longer
issues or endorses any processing information for home canning in metal
cans. Too many variables, basically. I believe her most important
statement to me was that *one cannot take processing information for
glass jars and apply that information to canning in metal cans.*
(Emphasis mine.) The U of Alaska Extension folks have some processes
for canning fish in metal cans, the process is more involved than when
one cans in glass jars. FWIW.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Brick

On 11-Aug-2005, "Michael" > wrote:

> I'm going to make some tomato sauce and can it.
>
> I've never used my pressure cooker for this.
>
> How long does it take using a pressure cooker?
>
> Do you immerse the cans entirely in water or just put in enough water to get
> things going?...(like you do when you're cooking with it)
>
> I suppose after you take out the cans you wait till you hear the lids
> seal....like with boiling?
>
> THANKS

There's more BS in this thread then one would likely find in a feedlot.
You might try this link for some legitimate information.

http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/canning/index.php

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

Brick

On 11-Aug-2005, ~patches~ > wrote:

> Pandora wrote:
>
> > "Michael" > ha scritto nel messaggio

<snip>

> http://www.homecanning.com/index.asp for more great recipes.

That's a good link for canning instructions Patches. I think it's just
possible that the "Ball" and "Kerr" companies might know a little
bit about canning.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)