How to pronounce Chayote?

Old 30-09-2003, 09:13 PM
Jack B
Usenet poster

Default How to pronounce Chayote?

In article , Steve Wertz
wrote:

I was reading a book written in the UK, that says the proper
pronunciatio of chayote squash (isn't it technically a gourd?) is
"chow-chow". Huh? How do you get "chow-chow" from "chayote".

How do you pronouce chayote? I always just said 'coyote' (as in the
dog), but without the ending 'e' sound. But then again, I've probably
never said it while around anyone who knew how it was pronounced (or
knew what I was really talking about).

I, with backing from Merriam-Webster, say "chy-Otee."

--
Jack
Old 30-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Wayne Lundberg
Usenet poster

Hard ch like in church, then hard eye like your eye followed immediately
with hard O and te with soft e not like tea but lik elephant. Chayote... it
is not a squash, it is a tree grown fruit - seed inside, meat around the
seed, and protective skin. Fruit. Prepared like a vegetable.

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
I was reading a book written in the UK, that says the proper
pronunciatio of chayote squash (isn't it technically a gourd?) is
"chow-chow". Huh? How do you get "chow-chow" from "chayote".

How do you pronouce chayote? I always just said 'coyote' (as in the
dog), but without the ending 'e' sound. But then again, I've probably
never said it while around anyone who knew how it was pronounced (or
knew what I was really talking about).

-sw

Old 01-10-2003, 02:35 AM
Douglas S. Ladden
Usenet poster

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as "Smitty
Jagermanjenson" shared its ideas in
alt.food.mexican-cooking on Wed, 01 Oct 2003 00:16:52 GMT:

[Fixed Top Posting]

"Wayne Lundberg" wrote in message
"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
I was reading a book written in the UK, that says the proper
pronunciatio of chayote squash (isn't it technically a gourd?) is
"chow-chow". Huh? How do you get "chow-chow" from "chayote".

How do you pronouce chayote? I always just said 'coyote' (as in
the dog), but without the ending 'e' sound. But then again, I've
probably never said it while around anyone who knew how it was
pronounced (or knew what I was really talking about).

-sw

Hard ch like in church, then hard eye like your eye followed
immediately with hard O and te with soft e not like tea but lik
elephant. Chayote...

it
is not a squash, it is a tree grown fruit - seed inside, meat around
the seed, and protective skin. Fruit. Prepared like a vegetable.

It's not a tree grown fruit, it comes from a vine. I know, I've grown
them.

If you really want to learn about the Chayote, here's a great
website that goes into more detail than anyone could possibly want:
http://gourmetsleuth.com/chayotes.htm.

--Douglas
Old 01-10-2003, 02:40 AM
Chuck Fiedler
Usenet poster

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:17:10 -0500, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:24:40 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
wrote:

Hard ch like in church, then hard eye like your eye followed immediately
with hard O and te with soft e not like tea but lik elephant. Chayote... it
is not a squash, it is a tree grown fruit - seed inside, meat around the
seed, and protective skin. Fruit. Prepared like a vegetable.

That's what I thought. So why are the brits pronouncing it "chow
chow"? shrug.

I guess there's not many UK posters here.....?

-sw

The primary reason would be that the Brits never have spoken other
people's language properly. Brits have always butchered the language
of other countries.

Old 01-10-2003, 06:21 AM
Smitty Jagermanjenson
Usenet poster

"Jack Sloan" wrote in message

"Smitty Jagermanjenson" wrote in message

"Wayne Lundberg" wrote in message
Hard ch like in church, then hard eye like your eye followed

immediately
with hard O and te with soft e not like tea but lik elephant.

Chayote...
it
is not a squash, it is a tree grown fruit - seed inside, meat around

the
seed, and protective skin. Fruit. Prepared like a vegetable.

It's not a tree grown fruit, it comes from a vine. I know, I've grown

them.

They grow on vines here too. I've grown them.
Jack

When I grew them in Phoenix I had one over 50 feet spreading across my back
fence. It made over 20 fruit that I had to freeze so they were not wasted.

I wonder where Mr. Lundberg is from, where his Chayotes grow from trees.

Old 01-10-2003, 05:20 PM
Wayne Lundberg
Usenet poster

My mistake, I remember cutting them from the backyard tree of a friend. But
the vine must have been climbing on that particular tree so all I remember
is picking from the tree. Thanks for your corrective action!!

Wayne

Old 07-10-2003, 12:26 PM
The Fisherman
Usenet poster

Go to the Merriam-Webster on-line dictionary. Type in chayote. Click on the
speaker icon and hear the word pronounced.

Pronunciation: chI-'yO-tE, chE-, -(")tA
Function: noun
Etymology: Spanish, from Nahuatl chayohtli
Date: 1887
: the pear-shaped fruit of a West Indian annual vine (Sechium edule) of the
gourd family that is widely cultivated as a vegetable; also : the plant --
called also mirliton

Jim