FoodBanter.com

-   Mexican Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/)
-   -   How to pronounce Chayote? (https://www.foodbanter.com/mexican-cooking/14066-re-how-pronounce-chayote.html)

Jack B 30-09-2003 09:13 PM

How to pronounce Chayote?

In article >, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

> I was reading a book written in the UK, that says the proper
> pronunciatio of chayote squash (isn't it technically a gourd?) is
> "chow-chow". Huh? How do you get "chow-chow" from "chayote".
>
> How do you pronouce chayote? I always just said 'coyote' (as in the
> dog), but without the ending 'e' sound. But then again, I've probably
> never said it while around anyone who knew how it was pronounced (or
> knew what I was really talking about).

I, with backing from Merriam-Webster, say "chy-Otee."

--
Jack

Wayne Lundberg 30-09-2003 11:24 PM

How to pronounce Chayote?

Hard ch like in church, then hard eye like your eye followed immediately
with hard O and te with soft e not like tea but lik elephant. Chayote... it
is not a squash, it is a tree grown fruit - seed inside, meat around the
seed, and protective skin. Fruit. Prepared like a vegetable.

Douglas S. Ladden 01-10-2003 02:35 AM

How to pronounce Chayote?

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as "Smitty
Jagermanjenson" > shared its ideas in
alt.food.mexican-cooking on Wed, 01 Oct 2003 00:16:52 GMT:

[Fixed Top Posting]

> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
>> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> > I was reading a book written in the UK, that says the proper
>> > pronunciatio of chayote squash (isn't it technically a gourd?) is
>> > "chow-chow". Huh? How do you get "chow-chow" from "chayote".
>> >
>> > How do you pronouce chayote? I always just said 'coyote' (as in
>> > the dog), but without the ending 'e' sound. But then again, I've
>> > probably never said it while around anyone who knew how it was
>> > pronounced (or knew what I was really talking about).
>> >
>> > -sw

>> Hard ch like in church, then hard eye like your eye followed
>> immediately with hard O and te with soft e not like tea but lik
>> elephant. Chayote...

> it
>> is not a squash, it is a tree grown fruit - seed inside, meat around
>> the seed, and protective skin. Fruit. Prepared like a vegetable.

> It's not a tree grown fruit, it comes from a vine. I know, I've grown
> them.

If you really want to learn about the Chayote, here's a great
website that goes into more detail than anyone could possibly want:
http://gourmetsleuth.com/chayotes.htm.

--Douglas

Chuck Fiedler 01-10-2003 02:40 AM

How to pronounce Chayote?

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:17:10 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:24:40 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
> wrote:
>

>>Hard ch like in church, then hard eye like your eye followed immediately
>>with hard O and te with soft e not like tea but lik elephant. Chayote... it
>>is not a squash, it is a tree grown fruit - seed inside, meat around the
>>seed, and protective skin. Fruit. Prepared like a vegetable.

>That's what I thought. So why are the brits pronouncing it "chow
>chow"? <shrug>.
>
>I guess there's not many UK posters here.....?
>
>-sw

The primary reason would be that the Brits never have spoken other
people's language properly. Brits have always butchered the language
of other countries.

Smitty Jagermanjenson 01-10-2003 06:21 AM

How to pronounce Chayote?

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> "Smitty Jagermanjenson" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> > > Hard ch like in church, then hard eye like your eye followed

immediately
> > > with hard O and te with soft e not like tea but lik elephant.

Chayote...
> > it
> > > is not a squash, it is a tree grown fruit - seed inside, meat around

the
> > > seed, and protective skin. Fruit. Prepared like a vegetable.

> > It's not a tree grown fruit, it comes from a vine. I know, I've grown

> them.
>
> They grow on vines here too. I've grown them.
> Jack

When I grew them in Phoenix I had one over 50 feet spreading across my back
fence. It made over 20 fruit that I had to freeze so they were not wasted.

I wonder where Mr. Lundberg is from, where his Chayotes grow from trees.

Wayne Lundberg 01-10-2003 05:20 PM

How to pronounce Chayote?

My mistake, I remember cutting them from the backyard tree of a friend. But
the vine must have been climbing on that particular tree so all I remember
is picking from the tree. Thanks for your corrective action!!

Wayne

The Fisherman 07-10-2003 12:26 PM

How to pronounce Chayote?

Go to the Merriam-Webster on-line dictionary. Type in chayote. Click on the
speaker icon and hear the word pronounced.

Pronunciation: chI-'yO-tE, chE-, -(")tA
Function: noun
Etymology: Spanish, from Nahuatl chayohtli
Date: 1887
: the pear-shaped fruit of a West Indian annual vine (Sechium edule) of the
gourd family that is widely cultivated as a vegetable; also : the plant --
called also mirliton

Jim