Source of Tones spices?

Old 25-08-2006, 07:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Source of Tones spices?

I'm getting dangerously low on black peppercorns. I went to Sam's Club
to buy another pound of Tone's Malabar pepper, and they don't have it
anymore. There's fine grind, and "restaurant grind", and fancy mixed
peppercorns (white, black, green, pink.)

Is there another source of the 1-pound containers of Tone's spices? I
don't want ground pepper and I don't want girlie mixed peppercorns. Thanks.

Bob
Old 25-08-2006, 07:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob, after taking an infinite amount of time, finally, on 25 Aug
2006, typed out:

I don't want girlie mixed peppercorns.
Thanks.

Bob

ROFLMAO!

Good luck! LOL!

Andy
Old 25-08-2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm getting dangerously low on black peppercorns. I went to Sam's Club
to buy another pound of Tone's Malabar pepper, and they don't have it
anymore. There's fine grind, and "restaurant grind", and fancy mixed
peppercorns (white, black, green, pink.)

Is there another source of the 1-pound containers of Tone's spices? I
don't want ground pepper and I don't want girlie mixed peppercorns.

Thanks.

Bob

It would appear that our local Sam's Club (Friendswood, TX) the Tone's
peppercorns I currently use have been discontinued except as a special order
and at that you have to purchase 6 lb. which is more than I can handle.

http://www.tones.com/products/displa...?product_id=46

Currently, I am placing a Penzys order and have added these to my order
per a recommendation... Peppercorns India Special Extra Bold

I've been told they have very good.

Chris

Old 26-08-2006, 01:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I'm getting dangerously low on black peppercorns. I went to Sam's Club
to buy another pound of Tone's Malabar pepper, and they don't have it
anymore. There's fine grind, and "restaurant grind", and fancy mixed
peppercorns (white, black, green, pink.)

Is there another source of the 1-pound containers of Tone's spices? I
don't want ground pepper and I don't want girlie mixed peppercorns.

Thanks.

Bob

check BJ's (similar to Sam's) if there is one in your area. They usually
carry Tone's.
-ginny

Old 26-08-2006, 07:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
I'm getting dangerously low on black peppercorns. I went to Sam's Club
to buy another pound of Tone's Malabar pepper, and they don't have it
anymore. There's fine grind, and "restaurant grind", and fancy mixed
peppercorns (white, black, green, pink.)

Is there another source of the 1-pound containers of Tone's spices? I
don't want ground pepper and I don't want girlie mixed peppercorns. Thanks.

Bob

Cub foods used to carry them eons ago. I miss not having access to
Tone's!
We have Penzey's but it's in an area I don't frequent and there is no
way I am schlepping a 2 year old who loves to sniff things into a
frou-frou herb and spice store...

-L.

Old 26-08-2006, 07:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

Cub foods used to carry them eons ago. I miss not having access to
Tone's!
We have Penzey's but it's in an area I don't frequent and there is no
way I am schlepping a 2 year old who loves to sniff things into a
frou-frou herb and spice store...

Surely you know about their mail order end?
Aren't Tones spices those big restaurant sized bottles often found in
discount places? I dunno why, I just assumed they were low quality. shrug
Old 26-08-2006, 08:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
-L. wrote:

Cub foods used to carry them eons ago. I miss not having access to
Tone's!
We have Penzey's but it's in an area I don't frequent and there is no
way I am schlepping a 2 year old who loves to sniff things into a
frou-frou herb and spice store...

Surely you know about their mail order end?

I don't do mail order nor internet orders - actually we pay cash for
almost everything (due to privacy issues).

Aren't Tones spices those big restaurant sized bottles often found in
discount places? I dunno why, I just assumed they were low quality. shrug

They do sell in large quantities but also sell in small. They used to
have a wonderful spice rack in the Cub's Foods stores in and around
DesMoines, Iowa ca. 1985. When I used their products, they were a
small company located in the Quad Cities in Iowa, IIRC. Now they own
Durkee, and Spice Islands along with a few other brands. I am sure the
products between them are now all the same; Tone's used to be different
and had very good spices.

I think I will roadtrip to Penzey's the next time I have some time away
from DS. I really would like to see the store.

-L.

Old 26-08-2006, 09:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

I don't do mail order nor internet orders - actually we pay cash for
almost everything (due to privacy issues).

Then open the catalog and pull out the order form and enclose a check.
Works almost as fast as chargeing it every time I've done that with
Penzey's.
Old 26-08-2006, 09:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
-L. wrote:

I don't do mail order nor internet orders - actually we pay cash for
almost everything (due to privacy issues).

Then open the catalog and pull out the order form and enclose a check.
Works almost as fast as chargeing it every time I've done that with
Penzey's.

LOL...I ordered a new catalog but it hasn't come yet.

-L.

Old 26-08-2006, 09:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

-L wrote:

I don't do mail order nor internet orders - actually we
pay cash for almost everything (due to privacy issues).

Witness Relocation Program, huh?

I mean really, who ELSE needs to hide like that?

Bob

Old 26-08-2006, 10:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi Bob -

If I may offer a suggestion. I have used the Tones brand in the past,
but a few years ago I found a spice merchant that excels in the
quality of spices that they sell. If interested, please go to:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

They also produce a catalog you can order from their web site. If
your interested in spices, it's THE place to look at.

I have no interest in the company, just a very satisfied customer.

Regards,

Rich

Old 26-08-2006, 02:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"-L." wrote in message
ps.com...

We have Penzey's but it's in an area I don't frequent and there is no
way I am schlepping a 2 year old who loves to sniff things into a
frou-frou herb and spice store...

Why the hell not!! A visit from him/her would do the shop some good. If
they are that "anal", go in there and fart:-))
Graham

Old 26-08-2006, 04:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
-L wrote:

I don't do mail order nor internet orders - actually we
pay cash for almost everything (due to privacy issues).

Witness Relocation Program, huh?

I mean really, who ELSE needs to hide like that?

Bob

The paranoid? Usenet loonies? People who don't want the gumment to
find them?

;-)
maxine in ri

Old 26-08-2006, 04:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
"-L." wrote in message
ps.com...

We have Penzey's but it's in an area I don't frequent and there is no
way I am schlepping a 2 year old who loves to sniff things into a
frou-frou herb and spice store...

Why the hell not!! A visit from him/her would do the shop some good. If
they are that "anal", go in there and fart:-))
Graham

My daughter loved Penzey's when she was small. She was 5 at the time,
IIRC. I showed her the differences between several different types of
vanilla, and she's better at it than I am.

maxine in ri

Old 26-08-2006, 05:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote: People who don't want the gumment to
find them?

Bingo! Give the lady her Twinkie!
Da Gubmint don't need to know nuttin' 'bout me...

-L.