Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.[_2_] -L.[_2_] is offline

Default Source of Tones spices?

Goomba38 wrote:
> -L. wrote:
>
> > Cub foods used to carry them eons ago. I miss not having access to
> > Tone's!
> > We have Penzey's but it's in an area I don't frequent and there is no
> > way I am schlepping a 2 year old who loves to sniff things into a
> > frou-frou herb and spice store...

> Surely you know about their mail order end?

I don't do mail order nor internet orders - actually we pay cash for
almost everything (due to privacy issues).

> Aren't Tones spices those big restaurant sized bottles often found in
> discount places? I dunno why, I just assumed they were low quality. <shrug>

They do sell in large quantities but also sell in small. They used to
have a wonderful spice rack in the Cub's Foods stores in and around
DesMoines, Iowa ca. 1985. When I used their products, they were a
small company located in the Quad Cities in Iowa, IIRC. Now they own
Durkee, and Spice Islands along with a few other brands. I am sure the
products between them are now all the same; Tone's used to be different
and had very good spices.

I think I will roadtrip to Penzey's the next time I have some time away
from DS. I really would like to see the store.

-L.