Freeze tortillas?

Old 29-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Larry Preuss
Usenet poster

Default Freeze tortillas?

Another novice question: can I freeze tortillas without ruining them? I have
sources of quite fresh tortillas, but can find them only in bulk packages,
not by count. The two of us would waste most of a package if we could not
save some for later. Are they freezable?
Larry

Old 29-05-2004, 04:57 PM
rosie
Usenet poster

i freeze mine all the time........................then i SLOWLY thaw
them!

--
rosie

http://interactive.lwv.org/News/News.cfm?ID=1192&c=1

:

Old 29-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Katra
Usenet poster

In article ,
Larry Preuss wrote:

Another novice question: can I freeze tortillas without ruining them? I have
sources of quite fresh tortillas, but can find them only in bulk packages,
not by count. The two of us would waste most of a package if we could not
save some for later. Are they freezable?
Larry

I freeze them all the time, but it's a good idea to put some wax paper
between them so that they won't stick together.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 29-05-2004, 05:49 PM
WardNA
Usenet poster

put some wax paper
between them

Entirely unnecessary. The only important things are to make sure you've
wrapped them air-tight and to thaw them completely before attempting to use
them.

Since the quality of commercial tortillas varies so much, you may or may not be
used to the delight of a truly fresh (corn) tortilla from a really top-notch
supplier. Freezing them will certainly deteriorate their special moist
tenderness and aroma, and may hurt their ability to balloon in hot oil. But so
will storing them for a day in the fridge after opening the package.

Neil
Old 29-05-2004, 06:33 PM
Katra
Usenet poster

In article , "K. Reece"
wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
Larry Preuss wrote:

Another novice question: can I freeze tortillas without ruining them? I

have
sources of quite fresh tortillas, but can find them only in bulk

packages,
not by count. The two of us would waste most of a package if we could

not
save some for later. Are they freezable?
Larry

I freeze them all the time, but it's a good idea to put some wax paper
between them so that they won't stick together.

K.

I freeze tortillas all the time and I just use a butter knife to pop them
apart. It would take a lot of wax paper to put some between all the
tortillas in a stack of 30 tortillas.

Kathy

I buy the fresh ones from Central Market in Austin.

They already have wax paper between them. ;-)

Wax paper is also cheap.

I package ground beef patties the same way.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 29-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Katra
Usenet poster

In article , "K. Reece"
wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article , "K. Reece"
wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
Larry Preuss wrote:

[...]

I buy fresh tortillas too. I have a choice of tortillas from two different
tortilla factories. If you get to the store at the right time of the day
you can get the flour ones still warm. They don't have wax paper between
them and it would be a pain in the ass to put wax paper between each one.
They pop apart with a butter knife just fine after they're frozen. I don't
care if wax paper is cheap, it's a waste of wax paper and time to put wax
paper between tortillas if they pop apart when they're frozen. Just stick
the knife along the edge and give it a little twist and they pop right off
the stack.

Kathy

100% of the time??? ;-)

The ones I get are so thin, they won't do that.
They will come off in little bitty chips...

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 29-05-2004, 08:49 PM
K. Reece
Usenet poster

"Katra" wrote in message
In article , "K. Reece"

Old 29-05-2004, 09:57 PM
JimLane
Usenet poster

LAllin wrote:

On 29-May-2004, Katra wrote:

100% of the time??? ;-)

The ones I get are so thin, they won't do that.
They will come off in little bitty chips...

K.

It takes a little more effort up-front but freezing them separately before
stacking them makes it a snap to remove the number needed. Place as many as
will fit on a cookie sheet, without overlapping them, put the cookie sheet
in the freezer for 30-45 minutes until the tortillas are frozen. Stack them
in a freezer bag and layout more on the cookie sheet; repeat process 'til
all are frozen and placed in the freezer bag. I do this with many kinds of
bread; flat bread, sliced bread, biscuits, pancakes, waffles, etc. Works
great; just remove as much air as possible before sealing each time, to cut
done on moisture loss.

Another labor (and very time wasting) intensive exercise that is
meaningless in the greater scheme of things.

jim
Old 29-05-2004, 10:15 PM
K. Reece
Usenet poster

"Katra" wrote in message
In article , "K. Reece"
wrote:

100% of the time??? ;-)

The ones I get are so thin, they won't do that.
They will come off in little bitty chips...

K.

Every once in awhile there's a contrary corn tortilla that doesn't want to
pop off the stack but you just go down the stack one or two and pop them off
the stack together. The trick is to just barely put the knife under the
edge of the tortilla and give it a little twist. The harder they're frozen
the easier they are to pop apart. If they've thawed even a little bit they
won't pop apart, they just tear.

Kathy

Old 30-05-2004, 06:51 AM
Katra
Usenet poster

In article , "K. Reece"
wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
In article , "K. Reece"
wrote:

100% of the time??? ;-)

The ones I get are so thin, they won't do that.
They will come off in little bitty chips...

K.

Every once in awhile there's a contrary corn tortilla that doesn't want to
pop off the stack but you just go down the stack one or two and pop them off
the stack together. The trick is to just barely put the knife under the
edge of the tortilla and give it a little twist. The harder they're frozen
the easier they are to pop apart. If they've thawed even a little bit they
won't pop apart, they just tear.

Kathy

Ok, but I thought we were referring to flour tortillas?

Freezing corn tortillas is no big deal...

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 30-05-2004, 08:00 AM
Blair P. Houghton
Usenet poster

Larry Preuss wrote:
Another novice question: can I freeze tortillas without ruining them? I have
sources of quite fresh tortillas, but can find them only in bulk packages,
not by count. The two of us would waste most of a package if we could not
save some for later. Are they freezable?

Do it all the time. Easiest to separate if you put paper towels between
them, but if they're low-fat and not too moist to start with, then when
you want one or two you can usually split them off without thawing.

Nuke them for 10-15 seconds to thaw. Sprinkle with
shredded cheddar-jack cheese (which I also keep in the
freezer), lay them in the toaster oven, wait a few minutes
until things bubble and brown and go crispy, sprinkle with
chopped green chiles, put some salsa in a dish, and it's
quesadilla time!

--Blair
"Okay. Now I'm hungry. Again."
Old 30-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Blair P. Houghton
Usenet poster

K. Reece wrote:
I freeze tortillas all the time and I just use a butter knife to pop them
apart.

That would work.

The mistake I presume people make is thinking that they need
to thaw them a little to help get them apart. Exactly what
you don't want to do.

--Blair
"They're the slate of the food world."

Can I freeze fresh spinach leaves? [email protected] General Cooking 14 13-04-2004 02:42 PM
Can I freeze cheese? elaine General Cooking 19 13-03-2004 06:13 AM
freeze uncooked apple pie Rich Baking 2 11-01-2004 03:20 AM
Can I Freeze Brie? RubyRedRecipes General Cooking 6 09-12-2003 08:10 PM
Can I freeze...???? SPOONS General Cooking 7 14-10-2003 01:59 PM