Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ping gtr Butchering a rabbit

I posted this in another thread but don't think you've seen it.

Wanted you to see it before it was too late

Here ya go .. If you don't want to see the gory bits, view after 4.30

Good luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZe5i3DClWQ

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-12-24 19:30:01 +0000, Ophelia said:

> I posted this in another thread but don't think you've seen it.
>
> Wanted you to see it before it was too late
>
> Here ya go .. If you don't want to see the gory bits, view after 4.30
> Good luck
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZe5i3DClWQ

Thanks again!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013122413544721849-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-12-24 19:30:01 +0000, Ophelia said:
>
>> I posted this in another thread but don't think you've seen it.
>>
>> Wanted you to see it before it was too late
>>
>> Here ya go .. If you don't want to see the gory bits, view after 4.30
>> Good luck
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZe5i3DClWQ

> Thanks again!

That guy needs to sharpen his knives, develop more skill, or both. I was
doing that job way better when I was a teenager. And we didn't waste a
bullet on him, either - ridiculous!

Too bad he left the ribs in, too. I prefer to chop down along the backbone,
then remove the ribs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-12-25 05:52:57 +0000, Pico Rico said:

> "gtr" > wrote in message news:2013122413544721849-xxx@yyyzzz...
>> On 2013-12-24 19:30:01 +0000, Ophelia said:
>>
>>> I posted this in another thread but don't think you've seen it.
>>>
>>> Wanted you to see it before it was too late
>>>
>>> Here ya go .. If you don't want to see the gory bits, view after 4.30
>>> Good luck
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZe5i3DClWQ

>> Thanks again!
>>

> That guy needs to sharpen his knives, develop more skill, or both. I
> was doing that job way better when I was a teenager. And we didn't
> waste a bullet on him, either - ridiculous!
>
> Too bad he left the ribs in, too. I prefer to chop down along the
> backbone, then remove the ribs.

I'd love to see your video.

I couldn't get through the back, where he says "I oughta have a cleaver
for this". I don't have a cleaver either so I took an unused chef's
knife did my best then used a rubber mallet on the back of the knife to
get through the last of it. Crude but operable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013122516211950237-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-12-25 05:52:57 +0000, Pico Rico said:
>
>> "gtr" > wrote in message

>>> Thanks again!
>>>

>> That guy needs to sharpen his knives, develop more skill, or both. I was
>> doing that job way better when I was a teenager. And we didn't waste a
>> bullet on him, either - ridiculous!
>>
>> Too bad he left the ribs in, too. I prefer to chop down along the
>> backbone, then remove the ribs.

> I'd love to see your video.
>
> I couldn't get through the back, where he says "I oughta have a cleaver
> for this". I don't have a cleaver either so I took an unused chef's knife
> did my best then used a rubber mallet on the back of the knife to get
> through the last of it. Crude but operable.

It worked for you ok didn't it? You got the joints you wanted, so well
done

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-12-26 10:51:14 +0000, Ophelia said:

>> I couldn't get through the back[bone], where he says "I oughta have a
>> cleaver for this". I don't have a cleaver either so I took an unused
>> chef's knife did my best then used a rubber mallet on the back of the
>> knife to get through the last of it. Crude but operable.

> It worked for you ok didn't it? You got the joints you wanted, so well done

Yeah, it did. But honestly using a rubber mallet and a knife to make it
through a butchering job--it just seems so amateurish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013122610180939948-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-12-26 10:51:14 +0000, Ophelia said:
>
>>> I couldn't get through the back[bone], where he says "I oughta have a
>>> cleaver for this". I don't have a cleaver either so I took an unused
>>> chef's knife did my best then used a rubber mallet on the back of the
>>> knife to get through the last of it. Crude but operable.

>> It worked for you ok didn't it? You got the joints you wanted, so well
>> done

> Yeah, it did. But honestly using a rubber mallet and a knife to make it
> through a butchering job--it just seems so amateurish.

If you want to be a butcher you need to study for it) Until then, you use
what you have, the same as the rest of us)

Trust me, you did good))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-12-26 18:22:42 +0000, Ophelia said:

>>> It worked for you ok didn't it? You got the joints you wanted, so well done

>> Yeah, it did. But honestly using a rubber mallet and a knife to make it
>> through a butchering job--it just seems so amateurish.

> If you want to be a butcher you need to study for it) Until then,
> you use what you have, the same as the rest of us)
>
> Trust me, you did good))

I had dinner, it tasted good--so I did it right! I found back when I
was laboring at smoking fish that the best way to learn how to whittle
fish is: Do do it many times. As Tennesee Williams instructed young
playwrights: Don't write a play--write plays!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013122616202796173-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-12-26 18:22:42 +0000, Ophelia said:
>
>> "gtr" > wrote in message

>>> Yeah, it did. But honestly using a rubber mallet and a knife to make it
>>> through a butchering job--it just seems so amateurish.

>> If you want to be a butcher you need to study for it) Until then, you
>> use what you have, the same as the rest of us)
>>
>> Trust me, you did good))

> I had dinner, it tasted good--so I did it right!

Absolutely spot on!!!!!

I found back when I
> was laboring at smoking fish that the best way to learn how to whittle
> fish is: Do do it many times. As Tennesee Williams instructed young
> playwrights: Don't write a play--write plays!

Amen) When you are satisfied you are an expert on cutting up rabbits, you
must make a vid of it and put it on youtube ) It could help someone else!
I am no expert either, but hubby is and he does any butchery we need from
live animal to pieces ready to cook, but then he is a hunter

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-12-27 13:05:57 +0000, Ophelia said:

>> I found back when I was laboring at smoking fish that the best way to
>> learn how to whittle fish is: [To] do it many times. As Tennesee
>> Williams instructed young playwrights: Don't write a play--write plays!

> Amen) When you are satisfied you are an expert on cutting up
> rabbits, you must make a vid of it and put it on youtube ) It could
> help someone else! I am no expert either, but hubby is and he does any
> butchery we need from live animal to pieces ready to cook, but then he
> is a hunter

I think I'll concentrate on butchering chicken for a while. If I was
any good at that I think I'd be about 3/4's of the way to doing a quick
and competent job on a rabbit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013122710394383258-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-12-27 13:05:57 +0000, Ophelia said:
>
>>> I found back when I was laboring at smoking fish that the best way to
>>> learn how to whittle fish is: [To] do it many times. As Tennesee
>>> Williams instructed young playwrights: Don't write a play--write plays!

>> Amen) When you are satisfied you are an expert on cutting up rabbits,
>> you must make a vid of it and put it on youtube ) It could help someone
>> else! I am no expert either, but hubby is and he does any butchery we
>> need from live animal to pieces ready to cook, but then he is a hunter

> I think I'll concentrate on butchering chicken for a while. If I was any
> good at that I think I'd be about 3/4's of the way to doing a quick and
> competent job on a rabbit.

Awww you've only done it once!!! Don't be so hard on yourself! You will be
fine

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-12-27 19:18:16 +0000, Ophelia said:

>>> Amen) When you are satisfied you are an expert on cutting up rabbits,
>>> you must make a vid of it and put it on youtube ) It could help someone
>>> else! I am no expert either, but hubby is and he does any butchery we
>>> need from live animal to pieces ready to cook, but then he is a hunter

>> I think I'll concentrate on butchering chicken for a while. If I was any
>> good at that I think I'd be about 3/4's of the way to doing a quick and
>> competent job on a rabbit.

> Awww you've only done it once!!! Don't be so hard on yourself! You will be
> fine

Chicken's cheaper and too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2013122712061123656-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2013-12-27 19:18:16 +0000, Ophelia said:
>
>> "gtr" > wrote in message

>>> I think I'll concentrate on butchering chicken for a while. If I was any
>>> good at that I think I'd be about 3/4's of the way to doing a quick and
>>> competent job on a rabbit.

>> Awww you've only done it once!!! Don't be so hard on yourself! You will
>> be
>> fine

> Chicken's cheaper and too!

If you have to buy it, yes it is! Actually I prefer chicken)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 10:39:43 -0800, gtr > wrote:

>On 2013-12-27 13:05:57 +0000, Ophelia said:
>
>>> I found back when I was laboring at smoking fish that the best way to
>>> learn how to whittle fish is: [To] do it many times. As Tennesee
>>> Williams instructed young playwrights: Don't write a play--write plays!

>> Amen) When you are satisfied you are an expert on cutting up
>> rabbits, you must make a vid of it and put it on youtube ) It could
>> help someone else! I am no expert either, but hubby is and he does any
>> butchery we need from live animal to pieces ready to cook, but then he
>> is a hunter

>I think I'll concentrate on butchering chicken for a while. If I was
>any good at that I think I'd be about 3/4's of the way to doing a quick
>and competent job on a rabbit.

There's really no difference disjointing a rabbit from a chicken... on
a rabbit the front legs are small like chicken wings and the rear legs
are like drumsticks... the bodies are about the same only rabbits have
A cups and a culo grande like sf. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "gtr" wrote:
> > I think I'll concentrate on butchering chicken for a while. If I was any
> > good at that I think I'd be about 3/4's of the way to doing a quick and
> > competent job on a rabbit.

> Awww you've only done it once!!! Don't be so hard on yourself! You will be
> fine

He did fine this time. He got one hell of a lot of "mileage" here just
about cooking one stupid, dead bunny rabbit.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-25 12:52 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

> That guy needs to sharpen his knives, develop more skill, or both. I was
> doing that job way better when I was a teenager. And we didn't waste a
> bullet on him, either - ridiculous!
>
> Too bad he left the ribs in, too. I prefer to chop down along the backbone,
> then remove the ribs.

I never had rabbit when I was a kid. My father had been raised on a
rabbit ranch during the Depression. He had butchered and eaten so many
rabbits that he was pretty well fed up with it.

In his account of escaping after being shot down during the war he wrote
about sitting on the top of a small hill and watching a train load of
German war materials going by. A rabbit came along The German soldiers
on the train waved to him and he waved back, the rabbit sitting up
beside him. It was close enough for him to reach out and grab it. He had
not eaten for a couple days, but he didn't want rabbit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "gtr" wrote:
>> > I think I'll concentrate on butchering chicken for a while. If I was
>> > any
>> > good at that I think I'd be about 3/4's of the way to doing a quick and
>> > competent job on a rabbit.

>> Awww you've only done it once!!! Don't be so hard on yourself! You will
>> be
>> fine

> He did fine this time. He got one hell of a lot of "mileage" here just
> about cooking one stupid, dead bunny rabbit.

He had never cooked a rabbit and he got help on marinating and cutting and
all kinds of things At least it was a thread about cooking ;p

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "gtr" wrote:
> > Chicken's cheaper and too!

> If you have to buy it, yes it is! Actually I prefer chicken)

ME TOO. Chicken thighs on sale here this week. I'll be buying plenty
tomorrow am. I'm somewhat planning on "Buffalo Chicken Thighs"
tomorrow assuming they have the blue cheese dressing in stock. It's
"Marie Calendar's Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing" and is the best dip for
hot wings/chicken parts.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2013-12-25 12:52 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
>

>> That guy needs to sharpen his knives, develop more skill, or both. I was
>> doing that job way better when I was a teenager. And we didn't waste a
>> bullet on him, either - ridiculous!
>>
>> Too bad he left the ribs in, too. I prefer to chop down along the
>> backbone,
>> then remove the ribs.
>>

> I never had rabbit when I was a kid. My father had been raised on a rabbit
> ranch during the Depression. He had butchered and eaten so many rabbits
> that he was pretty well fed up with it.
>
> In his account of escaping after being shot down during the war he wrote
> about sitting on the top of a small hill and watching a train load of
> German war materials going by. A rabbit came along The German soldiers on
> the train waved to him and he waved back, the rabbit sitting up beside
> him. It was close enough for him to reach out and grab it. He had not
> eaten for a couple days, but he didn't want rabbit.

Hmmm then he wasn't hungry enough!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "gtr" wrote:
>> > Chicken's cheaper and too!

>> If you have to buy it, yes it is! Actually I prefer chicken)

> ME TOO. Chicken thighs on sale here this week. I'll be buying plenty
> tomorrow am. I'm somewhat planning on "Buffalo Chicken Thighs"
> tomorrow assuming they have the blue cheese dressing in stock. It's
> "Marie Calendar's Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing" and is the best dip for
> hot wings/chicken parts.

Okay! Now you have to tell me ... what is/are Buffalo chicken thighs??
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-27 6:04 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message

>>> If you have to buy it, yes it is! Actually I prefer chicken)

>> ME TOO. Chicken thighs on sale here this week. I'll be buying plenty
>> tomorrow am. I'm somewhat planning on "Buffalo Chicken Thighs"
>> tomorrow assuming they have the blue cheese dressing in stock. It's
>> "Marie Calendar's Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing" and is the best dip for
>> hot wings/chicken parts.

> Okay! Now you have to tell me ... what is/are Buffalo chicken thighs??

It is a variation of Buffalo Wings, named for the city of Buffalo, not
the critter. Buffalo wings are chicken wings that are deep fried and
then tossed in a mixture of Franks Hot Sauce and margarine... or
variations thereof.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-27 6:03 PM, Ophelia wrote:

abbits that he was pretty well fed up with it.

>> In his account of escaping after being shot down during the war he
>> wrote about sitting on the top of a small hill and watching a train
>> load of German war materials going by. A rabbit came along The German
>> soldiers on the train waved to him and he waved back, the rabbit
>> sitting up beside him. It was close enough for him to reach out and
>> grab it. He had not eaten for a couple days, but he didn't want rabbit.

> Hmmm then he wasn't hungry enough!

He was hungry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2013-12-27 6:04 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> ME TOO. Chicken thighs on sale here this week. I'll be buying plenty
>>> tomorrow am. I'm somewhat planning on "Buffalo Chicken Thighs"
>>> tomorrow assuming they have the blue cheese dressing in stock. It's
>>> "Marie Calendar's Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing" and is the best dip for
>>> hot wings/chicken parts.

>> Okay! Now you have to tell me ... what is/are Buffalo chicken thighs??

> It is a variation of Buffalo Wings, named for the city of Buffalo, not the
> critter. Buffalo wings are chicken wings that are deep fried and then
> tossed in a mixture of Franks Hot Sauce and margarine... or variations
> thereof.

Oh ... err ... thanks. Well, sounds like they are popular.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-27 6:26 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>> It is a variation of Buffalo Wings, named for the city of Buffalo, not
>> the
>> critter. Buffalo wings are chicken wings that are deep fried and then
>> tossed in a mixture of Franks Hot Sauce and margarine... or variations
>> thereof.

> Oh ... err ... thanks. Well, sounds like they are popular.

Buffalo wings sure are popular in this corner of the world. They are
the reason that a part of the chicken that used to be so undesirable
that they were dirt cheap became one of the most expensive parts of a
chicken to make a meal of. The thing is.... they go so well with beer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 23:04:33 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...

>>> If you have to buy it, yes it is! Actually I prefer chicken)

>> ME TOO. Chicken thighs on sale here this week. I'll be buying plenty
>> tomorrow am. I'm somewhat planning on "Buffalo Chicken Thighs"
>> tomorrow assuming they have the blue cheese dressing in stock. It's
>> "Marie Calendar's Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing" and is the best dip for
>> hot wings/chicken parts.

>Okay! Now you have to tell me ... what is/are Buffalo chicken thighs??

Sometimes they just don't know when to stop with all the genetic
modifications to our food!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 23:04:33 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> ME TOO. Chicken thighs on sale here this week. I'll be buying plenty
>>> tomorrow am. I'm somewhat planning on "Buffalo Chicken Thighs"
>>> tomorrow assuming they have the blue cheese dressing in stock. It's
>>> "Marie Calendar's Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing" and is the best dip for
>>> hot wings/chicken parts.

>>Okay! Now you have to tell me ... what is/are Buffalo chicken thighs??

> Sometimes they just don't know when to stop with all the genetic
> modifications to our food!

UHUH ;p

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-12-27 23:33:19 +0000, Dave Smith said:

> On 2013-12-27 6:26 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>>> It is a variation of Buffalo Wings, named for the city of Buffalo, not
>>> the
>>> critter. Buffalo wings are chicken wings that are deep fried and then
>>> tossed in a mixture of Franks Hot Sauce and margarine... or variations
>>> thereof.

>> Oh ... err ... thanks. Well, sounds like they are popular.
>>

> Buffalo wings sure are popular in this corner of the world. They are
> the reason that a part of the chicken that used to be so undesirable
> that they were dirt cheap became one of the most expensive parts of a
> chicken to make a meal of. The thing is.... they go so well with beer.

So do potato chips and peanuts. Then I have dinner. I've never liked
the mess of Buffalo wings, nor the heat. I don't think they'd be a bad
snack with beers if they were dry and seasoned with something besides
"hot".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/25/2013 12:52 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

> "gtr" > wrote in message news:2013122413544721849-xxx@yyyzzz...
>> On 2013-12-24 19:30:01 +0000, Ophelia said:
>>
>>> I posted this in another thread but don't think you've seen it.
>>>
>>> Wanted you to see it before it was too late
>>>
>>> Here ya go .. If you don't want to see the gory bits, view after 4.30
>>> Good luck
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZe5i3DClWQ

>> Thanks again!
>>

> That guy needs to sharpen his knives, develop more skill, or both. I was
> doing that job way better when I was a teenager. And we didn't waste a
> bullet on him, either - ridiculous!
>
> Too bad he left the ribs in, too. I prefer to chop down along the backbone,
> then remove the ribs.

I was surprised to hear him say he didn't have a cleaver. Even though
that showed a lot more detail, it reminded me of Jennifer Lawrence in
Winter's Bone where she was killing and butchering squirrels. I saw her
on some talk show and she said she really had to do that in the movie.
It wasn't a stunt double.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-28 5:34 PM, Cheryl wrote:

> I was surprised to hear him say he didn't have a cleaver. Even though
> that showed a lot more detail, it reminded me of Jennifer Lawrence in
> Winter's Bone where she was killing and butchering squirrels. I saw her
> on some talk show and she said she really had to do that in the movie.
> It wasn't a stunt double.

Wasn't that a great movie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/2013 5:37 PM, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "gtr" wrote:
>>> I think I'll concentrate on butchering chicken for a while. If I was any
>>> good at that I think I'd be about 3/4's of the way to doing a quick and
>>> competent job on a rabbit.

>> Awww you've only done it once!!! Don't be so hard on yourself! You will be
>> fine

> He did fine this time. He got one hell of a lot of "mileage" here just
> about cooking one stupid, dead bunny rabbit.
>
> G.

I was yelling at the bunny, RUN! when the girl came out with the gun.
Humane my ass. She didn't cleanly shoot either one of them. IMO, but
then I've never killed anything so what do I know.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2013 5:37 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2013-12-28 5:34 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> I was surprised to hear him say he didn't have a cleaver. Even though
>> that showed a lot more detail, it reminded me of Jennifer Lawrence in
>> Winter's Bone where she was killing and butchering squirrels. I saw her
>> on some talk show and she said she really had to do that in the movie.
>> It wasn't a stunt double.
>>

> Wasn't that a great movie.

It really was.

--