Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ping gtr Butchering a rabbit

On 2013-12-25 12:52 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

> That guy needs to sharpen his knives, develop more skill, or both. I was
> doing that job way better when I was a teenager. And we didn't waste a
> bullet on him, either - ridiculous!
>
> Too bad he left the ribs in, too. I prefer to chop down along the backbone,
> then remove the ribs.

I never had rabbit when I was a kid. My father had been raised on a
rabbit ranch during the Depression. He had butchered and eaten so many
rabbits that he was pretty well fed up with it.

In his account of escaping after being shot down during the war he wrote
about sitting on the top of a small hill and watching a train load of
German war materials going by. A rabbit came along The German soldiers
on the train waved to him and he waved back, the rabbit sitting up
beside him. It was close enough for him to reach out and grab it. He had
not eaten for a couple days, but he didn't want rabbit.