Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping Gary: Rabbit?

While at Publix picking up my rib roast I wandered down the aisle that
has frozen meats. What did my little eye spy? Frozen farm raised
rabbit. 1 whole rabbit, cleaned and cut up. I haven't seen that in a
couple of decades. The price per package was an astonishing (to me)
$17.99. There's not a lot of meat on a a rabbit.

Just an FYI.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> While at Publix picking up my rib roast I wandered down the aisle that
> has frozen meats. What did my little eye spy? Frozen farm raised
> rabbit. 1 whole rabbit, cleaned and cut up. I haven't seen that in a
> couple of decades. The price per package was an astonishing (to me)
> $17.99. There's not a lot of meat on a a rabbit.
>
> Just an FYI.

Interesting Jill. Thanks for thinking of me. I've also seen rabbit
meat in the grocery store but not for at least 10 years or probably
20. That said, they might always be there - I never look for it. I do
know that farm raised rabbit would be more to most peoples
liking....more fat and not as gamey tasting.

If rabbit became popular it would probably be just as inexpensive as
chicken. Those darn creatures breed like rabbits. heheh Because few
buy them, the expense is high. Same with buffalo meat. Same with shark
meat. All are good but very few people buy them so the prices are
always high.

Jebus can fill his freezer in one night....40 rabbits in a hunt. :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/19/2015 6:55 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> While at Publix picking up my rib roast I wandered down the aisle that
>> has frozen meats. What did my little eye spy? Frozen farm raised
>> rabbit. 1 whole rabbit, cleaned and cut up. I haven't seen that in a
>> couple of decades. The price per package was an astonishing (to me)
>> $17.99. There's not a lot of meat on a a rabbit.
>>
>> Just an FYI.

> Interesting Jill. Thanks for thinking of me. I've also seen rabbit
> meat in the grocery store but not for at least 10 years or probably
> 20. That said, they might always be there - I never look for it. I do
> know that farm raised rabbit would be more to most peoples
> liking....more fat and not as gamey tasting.
>
> If rabbit became popular it would probably be just as inexpensive as
> chicken. Those darn creatures breed like rabbits. heheh Because few
> buy them, the expense is high. Same with buffalo meat. Same with shark
> meat. All are good but very few people buy them so the prices are
> always high.

If rabbit became popular the price would likely skyrocket. Look what
happened with flank steak.

> Jebus can fill his freezer in one night....40 rabbits in a hunt. :-D

Is that where he's been? Hunting wabbits?

I bought rabbit back around 1995. I have no idea what I paid for it. I
browned and then braised it in light red wine. It was tasty but really
not much different from chicken.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/19/2015 7:07 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> If rabbit became popular the price would likely skyrocket. Look what
> happened with flank steak.

It is already expensive. We do have it a couple of times a year, but,
IMO, it is high priced chicken wit no wings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 12/19/2015 7:07 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> If rabbit became popular the price would likely skyrocket. Look what
>> happened with flank steak.
>>

> It is already expensive. We do have it a couple of times a year, but,
> IMO, it is high priced chicken wit no wings.

They are pretty easy to raise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > While at Publix picking up my rib roast I wandered down the aisle
> > that has frozen meats. What did my little eye spy? Frozen farm
> > raised rabbit. 1 whole rabbit, cleaned and cut up. I haven't seen
> > that in a couple of decades. The price per package was an
> > astonishing (to me) $17.99. There's not a lot of meat on a a
> > rabbit.
> >
> > Just an FYI.

> Interesting Jill. Thanks for thinking of me. I've also seen rabbit
> meat in the grocery store but not for at least 10 years or probably
> 20. That said, they might always be there - I never look for it. I do
> know that farm raised rabbit would be more to most peoples
> liking....more fat and not as gamey tasting.
>
> If rabbit became popular it would probably be just as inexpensive as
> chicken. Those darn creatures breed like rabbits. heheh Because few
> buy them, the expense is high. Same with buffalo meat. Same with shark
> meat. All are good but very few people buy them so the prices are
> always high.
>
> Jebus can fill his freezer in one night....40 rabbits in a hunt. :-D

Farm Fresh is the only one I see it at and haven't used them in 5
years. The one at Holland and Rosemont had them.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/19/2015 11:40 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> While at Publix picking up my rib roast I wandered down the aisle
>>> that has frozen meats. What did my little eye spy? Frozen farm
>>> raised rabbit. 1 whole rabbit, cleaned and cut up. I haven't seen
>>> that in a couple of decades. The price per package was an
>>> astonishing (to me) $17.99. There's not a lot of meat on a a
>>> rabbit.
>>>
>>> Just an FYI.

>> Interesting Jill. Thanks for thinking of me. I've also seen rabbit
>> meat in the grocery store but not for at least 10 years or probably
>> 20. That said, they might always be there - I never look for it. I do
>> know that farm raised rabbit would be more to most peoples
>> liking....more fat and not as gamey tasting.
>>
>> If rabbit became popular it would probably be just as inexpensive as
>> chicken. Those darn creatures breed like rabbits. heheh Because few
>> buy them, the expense is high. Same with buffalo meat. Same with shark
>> meat. All are good but very few people buy them so the prices are
>> always high.
>>
>> Jebus can fill his freezer in one night....40 rabbits in a hunt. :-D

> Farm Fresh is the only one I see it at and haven't used them in 5
> years. The one at Holland and Rosemont had them.
>
> Carol

Hi, my name's Carol and I feed the worst kind of trolls, those who
criminally STALK women he

ost

Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:18:00 -0600
MicroPlanet-Gravity/3.0.4

She should call the cops. I've already publicly admitted it is me so
a conviction should be a piece of cake and then forging would stop.
So what's stopping her? I think she suffers from Bovism - she just
loves the attention and drama and screw the rest of the group.

-sw

And before that the subhuman virus stalked poor Omelet right of the net!

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote in news:ddjfidFhfpU1
@mid.individual.net:

> While at Publix picking up my rib roast I wandered down the aisle that
> has frozen meats. What did my little eye spy? Frozen farm raised
> rabbit. 1 whole rabbit, cleaned and cut up. I haven't seen that in a
> couple of decades. The price per package was an astonishing (to me)
> $17.99. There's not a lot of meat on a a rabbit.
>
> Just an FYI.
>
> Jill

When rabbit in the market was common - and cheap - I used it for
hassenfeffer (sp?). My mother used wild rabbit that I and my dad brought
back from hunting trips. I never tried the recipe with chicken. Might be
interesting to try.

I've not seen rabbit here in the grocery stores for decades and I sure
wouldn't pay $18 for one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Snowshoe rabbits and jackrabbits are hares and the Belgian hare is a rabbit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Snowshoe rabbits and jackrabbits are hares and the Belgian hare is a rabbit.

The US Congress is a herd of pubic hairs.
http://www.rabbit.org/fun/answer2.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2015 9:41 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 17:27:22 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> While at Publix picking up my rib roast I wandered down the aisle that
>> has frozen meats. What did my little eye spy? Frozen farm raised
>> rabbit. 1 whole rabbit, cleaned and cut up. I haven't seen that in a
>> couple of decades. The price per package was an astonishing (to me)
>> $17.99. There's not a lot of meat on a a rabbit.

> Rabbits here are $5-$6/lb. About 2 lbs per rabbit.
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwert...ream/lightbox/
>
> -sw

Interesting. This was priced per package rather than by weight.
Considering farm raised rabbit tastes (IMHO) much like chicken that
$17.99 price tag really grabbed my attention. I wonder how much of it
they actually sell.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/18/2015 7:41 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> About 2 lbs per rabbit.

ost

Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:18:00 -0600
MicroPlanet-Gravity/3.0.4

She should call the cops. I've already publicly admitted it is me so
a conviction should be a piece of cake and then forging would stop.
So what's stopping her? I think she suffers from Bovism - she just
loves the attention and drama and screw the rest of the group.

-sw

And before that the subhuman virus stalked poor Omelet right of the net!

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

> The facebook group is much more pleasant.

Only because you cower there in mortal fear of being booted by the admins.

You're _done_ here virus, I mean really done.