Deep Fried Hamburger Patty

Old 28-04-2010, 06:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Deep Fried Hamburger Patty

I was deep frying french fries and taquitos and remembered I had a
musgovian hamburger patty in the fridge.

So I threw it in there after everything else was done.

The inside stayed nice and juicy (too juicy - it exploded when I cut
into it), but the outside was rubbery instead of the crisp I was
expecting.

So if you ever have the urge to deep fry a hamburger, I've already
done it for you. Don't bother.

-sw
Old 28-04-2010, 06:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

I was deep frying french fries and taquitos and remembered I had a
musgovian hamburger patty in the fridge.

So I threw it in there after everything else was done.

The inside stayed nice and juicy (too juicy - it exploded when I cut
into it), but the outside was rubbery instead of the crisp I was
expecting.

So if you ever have the urge to deep fry a hamburger, I've already
done it for you. Don't bother.

-sw

I think that's why they normally batter burgers before deep frying them.
Old 28-04-2010, 07:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:20:02 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

So if you ever have the urge to deep fry a hamburger, I've already
done it for you. Don't bother.

Breaded deep-fried hamburgers used to be common in the late 1970s in eastern
Ohio. They were awful then too, as well as dangerous, with hot fat frequently
trappped inside the breading.

-- Larry
Old 28-04-2010, 07:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

So if you ever have the urge to deep fry a hamburger, I've already
done it for you. Don't bother.

I wonder if it would have been better if it
were ground pork.
Old 28-04-2010, 08:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 28, 11:20*am, Sqwertz wrote:
I was deep frying french fries and taquitos and remembered I had a
musgovian hamburger patty in the fridge.

So I threw it in there after everything else was done.

The inside stayed nice and juicy (too juicy - it exploded when I cut
into it), but the outside was rubbery instead of the crisp I was
expecting. *

So if you ever have the urge to deep fry a hamburger, I've already
done it for you. *Don't bother.

-sw

==

If you ever have such "urges" again, make sure that the patties are
thin and preferably battered and remove them from the fat before they
become hard like flint. I have had some East-Indian food done in a
similar manner and it was okay.

==
Old 28-04-2010, 09:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Sqwertz wrote:

I was deep frying french fries and taquitos and remembered I had a
musgovian hamburger patty in the fridge.

So I threw it in there after everything else was done.

The inside stayed nice and juicy (too juicy - it exploded when I cut
into it), but the outside was rubbery instead of the crisp I was
expecting.

So if you ever have the urge to deep fry a hamburger, I've already
done it for you. Don't bother.

-sw

I think that's why they normally batter burgers before deep frying them.

Not true. There's a restaurant in Memphis, TN called 'Dyer's' that has been
developing a deep fried hamburges since they opened around 1912. (I think
they finally got it right in the 1930's.)

http://dyersonbeale.com/

The trick is to use the leanest ground beef you can find (they use ground
round). Anything more fatty tends to break apart in the oil.

Dyer's rolls the ground round into meatballs daily and stores them in the
cooler. Right before frying they pound the "meatball" out very thin and
slip it into very hot grease, only long enough for the burger to rise to the
top. It's done! They're famous for these burgers. I can personally attest
they are delicious. Not rubbery, definitely not crisp. Definitely not dry.
But they won't be rare or medium-rare if that's what Steve meant by wanting
a "juicy" burger. And you can't achieve this result with a regular
hand-patted thick patty.

Jill

Old 28-04-2010, 09:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:59:38 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

I think that's why they normally batter burgers before deep frying them.

Sounds like a job for Betty Barfly.

=sw
Old 28-04-2010, 09:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" wrote in message ...
"jmcquown" wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Sqwertz wrote:

[...]

Dyer's!

I saw that on a food TV program!!!

They've got 100 +/- year old grease, somehow. A private and ridiculous
family secret, imho.

A customer on camera said "I'll probably die 20 years earlier than I
should." He definitely looked happy making that claim!

Andy

They've changed locations several times and each time the grease is
accompanied by a police escort, which is (IMHO) ridiculous. But the legend
lives on, doesn't it? The secret isn't so much keeping the same old grease
as it is straining it daily and then adding to it, never actually *changing*
it. I seriously doubt any of the original grease is still there.

I worked for an ice cream parlor when I was 18 that was run by an old guy
who worked at the original Dyer's as a teen. He got permission from the
owner to make Dyer's hamburgers and it was granted so long as that's what he
called them. I think they even gave him a cup of the grease. LOL He
treated the grease the exact same way they did, prepped and cooked them the
same way they did. And never *ever* put lettuce or tomato on a Dyer's
burger.

Jill

Old 28-04-2010, 09:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message ...
"jmcquown" wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Sqwertz wrote:

[...]

The really good commercial deep fryers have pumps and continuous
filtration.
Old 28-04-2010, 10:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I was deep frying french fries and taquitos and remembered I had a
musgovian hamburger patty in the fridge.

So I threw it in there after everything else was done.

The inside stayed nice and juicy (too juicy - it exploded when I cut
into it), but the outside was rubbery instead of the crisp I was
expecting.

So if you ever have the urge to deep fry a hamburger, I've already
done it for you. Don't bother.

I've deep fried meat balls, many thousands, no problems.

Old 28-04-2010, 10:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

jmcquown wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Sqwertz wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't know a thing about pumps and continuous filtration. We're
talking 1978. The ice cream shop where I worked that also sold Dyer's
hamburgers drained the deep fryers every evening. They used large sheets of
folded cheesecloth as strainers and transferred the grease into buckets.
What happened after that, I have no idea. I wasn't involved with closing
the kitchen. But I do believe what I was told about how they stuck to that
"Dyer's" routine.

Jill

Old 28-04-2010, 11:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:52:59 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:

I've deep fried meat balls, many thousands, no problems.

Can't get enough of them balls, eh?

-sw
Old 29-04-2010, 12:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr

On 2010-04-28 13:03:30 -0700, jmcquown said:

Sqwertz wrote:

So if you ever have the urge to deep fry a hamburger, I've already
done it for you. Don't bother.

Hmm. The bizarro-world translation seems to indicate, then, that it
likely can be done.

Not true. There's a restaurant in Memphis, TN called 'Dyer's' that has
been developing a deep fried hamburges since they opened around 1912.
(I think they finally got it right in the 1930's.)

Alright! I think I've got a system for understanding!
--
If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll

Old 29-04-2010, 01:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-04-28 13:03:30 -0700, jmcquown said:

Sqwertz wrote:

So if you ever have the urge to deep fry a hamburger, I've already
done it for you. Don't bother.

Hmm. The bizarro-world translation seems to indicate, then, that it
likely can be done.

I don't Michael appreciates you coming onto me like this. You two
work it out and let me know who won.

-sw
Old 29-04-2010, 11:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

I was deep frying french fries and taquitos and remembered I had a
musgovian hamburger patty in the fridge.

So I threw it in there after everything else was done.

The inside stayed nice and juicy (too juicy - it exploded when I cut
into it), but the outside was rubbery instead of the crisp I was
expecting.

So if you ever have the urge to deep fry a hamburger, I've already
done it for you. Don't bother.

-sw

You know better Steve! If you wanted the outside to be crispy, you
would have to have coated it with some kind of starch. My personal
preferences (at the moment) are spiced rice flour or corn starch.

I now also have tapioca starch on hand so might try that too next time I
deep fry.

I bought the tapioca starch to mix with rice flour to try making a rice
bread. I've just not gotten around to it yet.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine