Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Deep Fried Hamburger Patty

"Pete C." > wrote in message
ster.com...

> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> I was deep frying french fries and taquitos and remembered I had a
>> musgovian hamburger patty in the fridge.
>>
>> So I threw it in there after everything else was done.
>>
>> The inside stayed nice and juicy (too juicy - it exploded when I cut
>> into it), but the outside was rubbery instead of the crisp I was
>> expecting.
>>
>> So if you ever have the urge to deep fry a hamburger, I've already
>> done it for you. Don't bother.
>>
>> -sw

> I think that's why they normally batter burgers before deep frying them.

Not true. There's a restaurant in Memphis, TN called 'Dyer's' that has been
developing a deep fried hamburges since they opened around 1912. (I think
they finally got it right in the 1930's.)

http://dyersonbeale.com/

The trick is to use the leanest ground beef you can find (they use ground
round). Anything more fatty tends to break apart in the oil.

Dyer's rolls the ground round into meatballs daily and stores them in the
cooler. Right before frying they pound the "meatball" out very thin and
slip it into very hot grease, only long enough for the burger to rise to the
top. It's done! They're famous for these burgers. I can personally attest
they are delicious. Not rubbery, definitely not crisp. Definitely not dry.
But they won't be rare or medium-rare if that's what Steve meant by wanting
a "juicy" burger. And you can't achieve this result with a regular
hand-patted thick patty.

Jill