What to do with extra jalapenos

Old 14-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Darkginger
Usenet poster

Default What to do with extra jalapenos

Ken Davey wrote in message
Pickle them.
My method:
Cut into 3/8 inch rings.
Enough cider vinegar to cover in a saucepan.
Salt - maybe a scant teaspoon per cup.
Bring briefly to a boil.
Cool and jar.
Keep in fridge.
Great garnish for rice or use in salads.
If you are a jalipeno addict like me use them on everything (g).
Regards.
Ken.

Yum. My preferred method of dealing with excess chilis of any kind (I grow
them) is to make wine from them - it's surprisingly good! Jack Keller's wine
site has a good recipe - http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques32.asp

I started a batch last Autumn, and it was quaffable by Christmas (although
what's left will probably improve with age). Started another batch last
week, as it was so good! I'm no expert at winemaking - only started last
year, so if I can do it, anyone can!

Jo

---

Old 15-01-2004, 07:09 AM
sf
Usenet poster

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:21:19 -0800, "Ken Davey"
wrote:

Pickle them.
My method:
Cut into 3/8 inch rings.
Enough cider vinegar to cover in a saucepan.
Salt - maybe a scant teaspoon per cup.
Bring briefly to a boil.
Cool and jar.
Keep in fridge.
Great garnish for rice or use in salads.
If you are a jalipeno addict like me use them on everything (g).

I've been told they freeze well too.

Old 18-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Bob Gottlieb
Usenet poster

In article , "Darkginger"
wrote:

Ken Davey wrote in message
[...]

Try this:

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Marinated Vegetables (Chiles en Escabeche)

Recipe By:Bob
Serving Size: 1
Preparation Time: 0:30
Categories: Mexican Salads Vegetables Side Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1/2 cup corn oil (or any Veg oil)
12 *** cloves garlic
8 *** carrots, cut into 1/4" coins
2 *** onions peeled & wedged
1 *** cauliflower broken up
10 *** small red potatoes, parboiled and quartered
*** (canned potatoes work well too)
1 *** pound jalapeno's, quartered or cut into rings
1 *** quart distilled white vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
4 *** bay leaves
2 *** tablespoons oregano
2 *** tablespoons salt

€Heat oil in large heavy pot. Add garlic, carrots, cauliflower and
jalapeños; Sauté 6 minutes stirring continuously with wooden spoon. Add
vinegar, water and onions and bring to a quick boil. Add potatoes, spices
and salt; cover and turn off the heat.
Let steep for 10 minutes.
Uncover and transfer to another container to cool. These will keep 2 or 3
weeks in the refrigerator
‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Any hard type vegetable can be used, such as green beans, bell
peppers. The Chiles can be left off or just a few used for flavor

--
Life is like a roll of toilet paper
the closer you get to the end...

Bob Gottlieb
Old 19-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Dee Randall
Usenet poster

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
. ..
"Ray" wrote in news:k9pMb.3785$q4.3086
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

I needed a jalapeno pepper for a fajita marinade. My wife had to buy a
whole pack of them at the supermarket. Is there a long term way to

store
the extras?

Can they be frozen? Or will they turn to mush when thawed?

Any suggestions??

Doan't freeze. Halve or slice and fill a jar with the jalpeños and white
vinegar and store in refrigerator. The peppers can be used in many ways,
and the vinegar makes a good seasoning or in salad dressing.

Wayne

I do the same thing with the very small green hot peppers - as small as
serranos and/or smaller and very hot --that I use 2 or 3 in Indian dishes.
I buy a tray of them at an Asian store, bring them home and fill a "ball"
jar with sherry, don't slice them, and then I have them to use as I need
them.

I do the same thing with ginger, so in case I run out, I will always have
some for a dish.
I slice the ginger into rounds before I pour the sherry over them and store
in the refrigerator.

I don't know if it is necessary to put in the refrigerator, but I do.

Dee

Dee

Old 19-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Tim Challenger
Usenet poster

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 04:13:04 GMT, Ray wrote:

I needed a jalapeno pepper for a fajita marinade. My wife had to buy a
whole pack of them at the supermarket. Is there a long term way to store
the extras?

Can they be frozen? Or will they turn to mush when thawed?

Any suggestions??

Long slice of baguette, covered with cheese and some diced smoked bacon and
slice jalapenos on top. Slap under the grill until the cheese melts.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Old 19-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

"Dee Randall" deedoveyatshenteldotnet wrote in
:

[...]

Dee, sherry's a great idea! I do use it to store ginger, but never
thought about it for the peppers. Good alternative when you don't want
to add a vinegar flavor to the dish.

Wayne