D & H Kramer

Default Flash freezing question

Does anyone know how to flash freeze leftovers, I like to cook HUGE amounts
all at the same time and freeze them to eat later.

Is there any special equipment I could buy to do this? I know I can just
freeze it in my freezer, but I've been told that flash freezing helps
preserve the taste of the food.....and I don't always eat what I cook in 6
months...could be a year or two before it gets nuked and eaten...

Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks,
D&H

Katra

D & H Kramer wrote:

> Does anyone know how to flash freeze leftovers, I like to cook HUGE amounts
> all at the same time and freeze them to eat later.
>
> Is there any special equipment I could buy to do this? I know I can just
> freeze it in my freezer, but I've been told that flash freezing helps
> preserve the taste of the food.....and I don't always eat what I cook in 6
> months...could be a year or two before it gets nuked and eaten...
>
> Any advice would be helpful!
>
> Thanks,
> D&H

Yeah.

Don't.

Even "flash frozen" stuff from the grocery store starts getting freezer
burned after about 6 months.... Two years? Forget it.

I'd just learn to cook smaller portions, and no more than you would eat
within one month.

Or, just don't bother cooking at all and buy pre-frozen stuff like
frozen veggies, pre-cooked and frozen meats.

And canned stuff. :-P

Not ideal, but less wasteful so cheaper in the long run.

Generally, if I cook more than dad and I can eat in two or 3 days, it
goes to the dogs or the chickens. I may keep something 5 days max,
depending on what it is...

The exception was all of that left over turkey gravy from Thanksgiving!
That got frozen that same night and will be used for Christmas dinner.
:-) It was too much work to toss it.

K. (who is wondering if this is a very clever troll.....)
Puester

D & H Kramer wrote:

> Does anyone know how to flash freeze leftovers, I like to cook HUGE amounts
> all at the same time and freeze them to eat later.
>
> Is there any special equipment I could buy to do this? I know I can just
> freeze it in my freezer, but I've been told that flash freezing helps
> preserve the taste of the food.....and I don't always eat what I cook in 6
> months...could be a year or two before it gets nuked and eaten...
>
> Any advice would be helpful!
>
> Thanks,
> D&H

1. Buy a dewer of liquid nitrogen.
2. Invest in some very think gloves...
3.

;-)
gloria p
Katra

Puester wrote:

> D & H Kramer wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know how to flash freeze leftovers, I like to cook HUGE amounts
> > all at the same time and freeze them to eat later.
> >
> > Is there any special equipment I could buy to do this? I know I can just
> > freeze it in my freezer, but I've been told that flash freezing helps
> > preserve the taste of the food.....and I don't always eat what I cook in 6
> > months...could be a year or two before it gets nuked and eaten...
> >
> > Any advice would be helpful!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > D&H

> 1. Buy a dewer of liquid nitrogen.
> 2. Invest in some very think gloves...
> 3.
>
> ;-)
> gloria p

"Think" gloves?
Hmmmmmm... yeah, he _might_ benefit from soaking his head in liquid
Nitrogen. <lol!>

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...s&userid=Katra
Steve Wertz

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:59:40 -0600, Katra >
wrote:

>K. (who is wondering if this is a very clever troll.....)

Me too. Supernews attracts a lot of trolls.

-sw

Katra

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:59:40 -0600, Katra >
> wrote:
>
> >K. (who is wondering if this is a very clever troll.....)

> Me too. Supernews attracts a lot of trolls.
>
> -sw

One to two years in the freezer was the tip-off. ;-D

The only thing that makes me waver a bit is that my dad actually did
this sort of thing. <sigh> When he got his SSI check the beginning of
each month, he would buy too much food, including fresh veggies like
brocolli and stuff, and he'd blanch it and freeze it.

He ended up with a freezer full of nasty, freezer burned food that was
two to three years old! I'm slowly jerking any salvagable red meat, and
the rest is being thawed in small amounts over time and fed to the
chickens and dogs... Exept for Willow. :-)

K.
Charles Quinn

In article >, "D & H Kramer" > wrote:
>Does anyone know how to flash freeze leftovers, I like to cook HUGE amounts
>all at the same time and freeze them to eat later.
>
>Is there any special equipment I could buy to do this? I know I can just
>freeze it in my freezer, but I've been told that flash freezing helps
>preserve the taste of the food.....and I don't always eat what I cook in 6
>months...could be a year or two before it gets nuked and eaten...
>
>Any advice would be helpful!

Vacuum sealer to pack the food for long term storage with no freezer burn.

To quickly freezed the food use dry ice. Available at ice plants and some
grocery stores. But the food on the bottom of a cooler and place the dry ice
on top. It will be frozen quite quickly.

Of course if you use the vacuum packer then you do not need the flash frozen
method.

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

CoastWatcher

snip

> A Tilia Food Saver vacuum sealing appliance will prevent freezer burn
> and extend the time food may be kept in the freezer... Your dad sounds
> like the perfect candidate for such a device...
>
> <! -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- zenit -- -- >

Totally agree! I got one a couple of years ago and it is great,
although not cheap. Still would do it again though.

Kajikit

D & H Kramer saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us
all about it on Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:40:46 -0600:

>Does anyone know how to flash freeze leftovers, I like to cook HUGE amounts
>all at the same time and freeze them to eat later.
>
>Is there any special equipment I could buy to do this? I know I can just
>freeze it in my freezer, but I've been told that flash freezing helps
>preserve the taste of the food.....and I don't always eat what I cook in 6
>months...could be a year or two before it gets nuked and eaten...
>
>Any advice would be helpful!

Cook.
Freeze.
Thaw.
Eat.

Only try to do it within six months to a year. After that the food
will have lost all flavour. It won't poison you, but it won't taste
good either...

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Katra

Coas****cher wrote:

> snip
> >

> > A Tilia Food Saver vacuum sealing appliance will prevent freezer burn
> > and extend the time food may be kept in the freezer... Your dad sounds
> > like the perfect candidate for such a device...
> >
> > <! -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- zenit -- -- >

> Totally agree! I got one a couple of years ago and it is great,
> although not cheap. Still would do it again though.

Hmmmmmm... yes, except he lives with me now and this problem is not
allowed to occur. <G>

But, if this thing is that great, that would allow me to purchase MORE
of the decent cuts of beef when they are on sale! I like rib-eye and
t-bones, but refuse to pay $7.00 per lb. for them which is what they
were last week. :-P

I wait for them to come down to $3.99 or less.

Thanks for the tip!

K.