Best way to store uncooked rice?

Old 23-07-2008, 04:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Best way to store uncooked rice?

I checked two bags of rice I had stored and both had little bugs on
the inside. What is the best way to store uncooked rice to avoid bugs
or is there no way to prevent it? A friend told me that she stores her
bags of rice in the fridge until needed.

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 23-07-2008, 04:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony Ferrante wrote:

I checked two bags of rice I had stored and both had little bugs on
the inside. What is the best way to store uncooked rice to avoid bugs
or is there no way to prevent it? A friend told me that she stores her
bags of rice in the fridge until needed.

Thanks,
Anthony

They may have already had bug eggs in them that hatched
after you got them.

Anyway, since I started buy 10-lb. bags of Jasmine
rice at the local Asian food store I've been keeping
it in a large metal canister. That works very well
for me. It takes me 6 months to a year to go through
10 lbs. of rice and it keeps beautifully in the can.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Old 23-07-2008, 04:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate wrote on Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:09:37 -0400:

I checked two bags of rice I had stored and both had little
bugs on the inside. What is the best way to store uncooked
rice to avoid bugs or is there no way to prevent it? A friend
told me that she stores her bags of rice in the fridge until needed.

Thanks,
Anthony

They may have already had bug eggs in them that hatched
after you got them.

Anyway, since I started buy 10-lb. bags of Jasmine
rice at the local Asian food store I've been keeping
it in a large metal canister. That works very well
for me. It takes me 6 months to a year to go through
10 lbs. of rice and it keeps beautifully in the can.

Kate

That's how rice has always been stored around my house tho' screw top
plastic jars as, say Texmati, uses work fine too. Keep the rice dry and
the bugs out and it seems to last indefinitely.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 23-07-2008, 05:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony Ferrante wrote:
I checked two bags of rice I had stored and both had little bugs on
the inside. What is the best way to store uncooked rice to avoid bugs
or is there no way to prevent it? A friend told me that she stores her
bags of rice in the fridge until needed.

Buy the Texmati rice rice in plastic jugs. It's one of the best and
most consistent rices available, and it comes in airtight jugs.

-sw
Old 23-07-2008, 05:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony Ferrante wrote:
I checked two bags of rice I had stored and both had little bugs on
the inside. What is the best way to store uncooked rice to avoid bugs
or is there no way to prevent it? A friend told me that she stores her
bags of rice in the fridge until needed.

Thanks,
Anthony

i keep it in the freezer. i only buy rice in 5 pound bags.

harriet & critters
Old 23-07-2008, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony Ferrante wrote:

I checked two bags of rice I had stored and both had little bugs on
the inside. What is the best way to store uncooked rice to avoid bugs
or is there no way to prevent it? A friend told me that she stores her
bags of rice in the fridge until needed.

99.9 pct of the time insect eggs are in rice (and other grain
products) when you buy it, how you store it wont change anything in
that regard... you can freeze rice to keep the little buggers from
hatching but they're still in there. It's a good idea to store rice
in an airtight container but only because rice is a magnet for
nefariuos odors, and rice also readily absorbs moisture... but all
airtight does for bugs is keep them from escaping. If the rice you
buy regularly contains bugs buy a different brand, but better is to
shop elsewhere. I've heard that some zap raw rice in their microwave
to kill the insects but I've never tried.
Old 23-07-2008, 11:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:01:30 -0400, Anthony Ferrante
wrote:

A friend told me that she stores her
bags of rice in the fridge until needed.

Used freezer storage for years without a problem.....also, keep all
my flours and yeast in freezer for year at a time without incident.
Never had a problem with dried pasta, etc.

Old 24-07-2008, 06:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote in news:23c08db1-7bfc-4684-9cf1-
:

Anthony Ferrante wrote:

[...]

It would make more sense to stick it in a 170F ish oven for a while...I
have seen fruit flies survive in a microwave. But heating the rice would
probably dry it out more... making it taste stale. Your best bet would be
to store it in an air tight container and replace the air with
nitrogen...That's how they are supposed to keep coffee fresher longer. But
getting the equipment to do that would probably be too costly for home
use. Next best choice would be a air tight container in a freezer. Or buy
rice in smaller amounts that you can use up before the bugs become
apparent.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Old 24-07-2008, 12:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Billy" wrote
Anthony Ferrante wrote:

A friend told me that she stores her
bags of rice in the fridge until needed.

Used freezer storage for years without a problem.....also, keep all
my flours and yeast in freezer for year at a time without incident.
Never had a problem with dried pasta, etc.

Same here. I freeze all rice and flour for 2 weeks then put it in airtight
containers to use. No problems. I live in buggie-heaven-country so this is
required.

Old 24-07-2008, 01:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony Ferrante wrote in
news
I checked two bags of rice I had stored and both had little bugs on
the inside. What is the best way to store uncooked rice to avoid bugs
or is there no way to prevent it? A friend told me that she stores her
bags of rice in the fridge until needed.

Thanks,
Anthony

Some of the brown rice we buy actually suggests using the fridge/freezer to
store as there are oils present that can (and will) go rancid if left
around at room temp. We just use glass mason jars which I vaccum seal and
stack them in the back of fridge/freezer. Each can is a 2 meal or 4 serving
portion. Tastes great and no creepy crawlers to worry about.
Old 24-07-2008, 02:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:
I checked two bags of rice I had stored and both had little bugs on
the inside. What is the best way to store uncooked rice to avoid bugs
or is there no way to prevent it? A friend told me that she stores her
bags of rice in the fridge until needed.

Thanks,
Anthony

The best way (especially for long term storage) is to put the rice in
airtight container(s) along with an oxygen absorber packet or 2
(depending on the size of the container).

As others have stated, the insect eggs are most likely already on the
rice. Removing the oxygen will not only increase the amount of time the
rice can be stored, but prevent (or kill) any insect eggs from
developing/hatching.

Old 24-07-2008, 02:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ted wrote on Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:01:30 -0400:

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and
sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:
I checked two bags of rice I had stored and both had little
bugs on the inside. What is the best way to store uncooked
rice to avoid bugs or is there no way to prevent it? A friend
told me that she stores her bags of rice in the fridge until needed.

Thanks,
Anthony

The best way (especially for long term storage) is to put the rice in
airtight container(s) along with an oxygen absorber
packet or 2 (depending on the size of the container).

I only buy colored rice in small quantities and it's sometimes a welcome
change but not worth keeping around for occasional use, IMHO.. I've
never come across bug problems with the domestic rice that I keep in
tightly lidded containers and I don't buy large quantities of imported
rice in cloth sacks. Given the amount of rice that I use, it's hardly
worth the small savings in buying large bags.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 24-07-2008, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ted Campanelli wrote:

I checked two bags of rice I had stored and both had little bugs on
the inside. What is the best way to store uncooked rice to avoid bugs
or is there no way to prevent it? A friend told me that she stores her
bags of rice in the fridge until needed.

Anthony

The best way (especially for long term storage) is to put the rice in
airtight container(s) along with an oxygen absorber packet or 2
(depending on the size of the container).

As others have stated, the insect eggs are most likely already on the
rice. �Removing the oxygen will not only increase the amount of time the
rice can be stored, but prevent (or kill) any insect eggs from
developing/hatching.

I use those O2 absorbant packets (Honeyvillegrain.com sells them) but
they do nothing to curtail insects in grains, all they do is retard
oxidation [a little], thereby maintaining general quality just a wee
bit longer; flavor, aroma, color, texture. The best way to store rice
(or any food) long term is *don't*, for rice do not buy more than you
can use within six months, three month's worth is better. Rice is
harvested somewhere in the world on a regular basis, unless one lives
in extreme poverty there is no reason to cache rice... for anyone
living anywhere in the US it's absolutely imbecilic to store any food
longer than the USDA recommendations. And rice is very inexpensive,
and there isn't anymore than a few pennies per pound savings by buying
in large quantities (this is true for all grains). and for those who
devote major freezer space to store grains it's costing them more in
freezer space than the few pennies lost by buying smaller quantities,
I've never seen a time in my life when rice was unavailable at every
grocery store in the US.... freezing grain products is false economy,
investing in food is no economy at all.

I don't use a lot of rice so I almost always buy rice in the 5lb size,
however I will buy a 10 lb size of basmati because that seems to be
the only size I ever see, it's imported and comes in a cloth sack....
basmati is an unclean product and must be washed, washed very well.
Rice grown and packaged in the US is clean and needs no washing, in
fact fortified rice should not be washed. Fortified rice has vitamins
and minerals added, washing removes them. Plain unfortified white
rice, like basmati, other than carbos contains practically zero
nutritional value... living on a diet composed entirely of basmati
rice results in a slow painful death by starvation.

Where I lived on Lung Guyland (Brentwood) there was a huge Hispanic
population (a fairly large Asian population too), seeing families
pushing two shopping carts was common and they bought rice in 100 lb
sacks, usually two at a time but they lived two-three, even four
families to a household, and they had huge families, tons of kids, and
even aunts, uncles, cousins, and even friends all lived communal
style... a hundred pounds of rice was consumed in less than a week...
they bought dried beans in 100lb sacks too... rice and beans and corn
tortillas was eaten at every meal, even breakfast, and eaten in
quantity. None of those households stored rice longer than a week or
two... no air tight containers, the 100 pound sack stands on the
kitchen floor in a corner and is scooped directly.

Unless you live somewhere like Somalia it's just plain silly to horde
so much rice that you need to concern yourself with long term storage.
Old 24-07-2008, 07:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 07:56:16 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon
wrote:

[...]

You can get basmati in smaller quantities, but it is usually not worth
it - the markup on the smaller quantities is ridiculus. Better brands
of basmati are very clean - I prefer Tilda brand myself. The Costco
brand is an 'OK' quality.

The upside of basmati is that stored properly it will keep for years.
Really. All Indian basmati rice has been 'aged' for some time to reduce
the moisture content. The longer it is aged, the higher the price it
commands in India.

The 'secret' of cooking basmati rice is that, once you have washed it,
let it sit for half to one hour in the water you will cook in in before
putting it on the heat. This will let is rehydrate some and produce a
fluffier rice.