Posted to rec.food.cooking
Yes Yes is offline

Default How long can one store cooked rice?

If I put it in the fridge after cooking, how long can I store cooked
rice until it should be thrown away?

John
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 1, 2013 10:06:27 PM UTC-4, Yes wrote:
> If I put it in the fridge after cooking, how long can I store cooked
>
> rice until it should be thrown away?
>

> John

As soon as you put in in the fridge, it was shit. Throw it away. Are you really that poor? Cancel your internet and buy a buttload of rice. Make it fresh when you want it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Yes" > wrote in message
> If I put it in the fridge after cooking, how long can I store cooked
> rice until it should be thrown away?

Cooked rice can go bad pretty quickly. You should probably use it in about
2-3 days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Friday, November 1, 2013 10:06:27 PM UTC-4, Yes wrote:
>> If I put it in the fridge after cooking, how long can I store cooked
>>
>> rice until it should be thrown away?
>>

>> John

> As soon as you put in in the fridge, it was shit. Throw it away. Are you
> really that poor? Cancel your internet and buy a buttload of rice. Make it
> fresh when you want it.

You do know that leftover rice is best for fried rice, right? I often have
leftover and often plan it that way. I can use it for a quick casserole or
to add to soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 02:06:27 +0000 (UTC), "Yes" >
wrote:

>If I put it in the fridge after cooking, how long can I store cooked
>rice until it should be thrown away?

AFAIK, it's 3 days max. as there is bacteria that still survives in
cooked rice but is only slowed down with refrigeration.

Personally I'd toss it after about 36 hours as IMO the flavour/texture
begins to go downhill by then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> You do know that leftover rice is best for fried rice, right? I often
> have leftover and often plan it that way. I can use it for a quick
> casserole or to add to soup.

I usually use my leftover rice for stuffed peppers or cabbage rolls for the
roomie. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> If I put it in the fridge after cooking, how long can I store cooked
> rice until it should be thrown away?

Throw it out when you see green fur. If that thought makes you
squeamish, either freeze the leftovers or make less so you don't have
to store more than you can eat during the following day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:
>"Yes" > wrote:
>
>> If I put it in the fridge after cooking, how long can I store cooked
>> rice until it should be thrown away?

>Cooked rice can go bad pretty quickly. You should probably use it in about
>2-3 days.

I've had plain white rice from the Chinese take-out in its cardboard
carton in my fridge for a month and it was still perfectly good.

And I make rice pilafs very often, always better the next day, even
after a week in the fridge it's fine.

I think how long food keeps in the fridge has a lot to do with ones
fridge temperature and their sanitary habits... if food is handled
prior to storage and stored in unclean vessels it will spoil more
rapidly. I think if plain white rice is ladled directly from the pot
as soon as cooked into a clean cardboard container (not air tight) and
filled to the very top (no air space) it can keep in the fridge at
least a year, maybe ten years... it'll just dehydrate is all. I often
freeze fly lice and it's perfectly fine many months later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Yes" >
wrote:

> If I put it in the fridge after cooking, how long can I store cooked
> rice until it should be thrown away?
>
> John

Until it either smells bad or gets icky. Four days is not unreasonable.

--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 14:46:29 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 02:06:27 +0000 (UTC), "Yes" >
>wrote:
>
>>If I put it in the fridge after cooking, how long can I store cooked
>>rice until it should be thrown away?

>AFAIK, it's 3 days max. as there is bacteria that still survives in
>cooked rice but is only slowed down with refrigeration.

What bacteria survives in food that's been boiled for 15 minutes? How
long rice will remain edible is dependant on how it's handled after
it's cooked. I think if cooked rice is properly handled it can last
as long as uncooked rice, maybe longer because it was sterilzed in the
cooking and uncooked rice can be quite dirty, especially imported
rice.... rice grown in the US is clean enough that it doesn'require
washing (enriched rice should never be washed or the added vitamins
will be washed away), all imported rice needs to be well washed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 10:15:41 -0400, Brooklyn1

Yes, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_cereus
http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/.../#.UnV5BmcuPq4

>How
>long rice will remain edible is dependant on how it's handled after
>it's cooked. I think if cooked rice is properly handled it can last
>as long as uncooked rice, maybe longer because it was sterilzed in the
>cooking and uncooked rice can be quite dirty, especially imported
>rice.... rice grown in the US is clean enough that it doesn'require
>washing (enriched rice should never be washed or the added vitamins
>will be washed away), all imported rice needs to be well washed.

See above, the spores are not killed by cooking. It doesn't matter how
clean the rice might appear to be.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/2/2013 1:39 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> You do know that leftover rice is best for fried rice, right? I often
>> have leftover and often plan it that way. I can use it for a quick
>> casserole or to add to soup.

> I usually use my leftover rice for stuffed peppers or cabbage rolls for
> the roomie. :-)
>
> Cheri

If you have more cooked rice than you can use, it freezes just fine. I
often make excess rice (or pasta) intentionally. Once cooled, you can
portion it out for for one or two servings. That's whatever you
consider a "serving". It only takes minutes to thaw. You can use
plain rice (or pasta) however you wish.

And it doesn't take up much freezer space. I used to do this all the
time when I had a very small apartment size refrigerator/freezer.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-11-02 02:06:27 +0000, Yes said:

> If I put it in the fridge after cooking, how long can I store cooked
> rice until it should be thrown away?

Until it turns to poison? Jeez, I dunno.

Like most anything else, I'd only store no more than 2-3 days no matter
what it is.

But the problems with refrigerating cooked rice are curious. When I
cook rice (rice cooker) and then refrigerate it I find that it's
texture changes dramatically, even if it's only in there 10-12 hours.
And freezing completely ruins its texture.

Now if you have a rice casserole or something with lots of other
objects and sauce and so forth, it might not make much difference. Or
a soup with rice in it. I wouldn't know about that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 1, 2013 10:06:27 PM UTC-4, Yes wrote:
> If I put it in the fridge after cooking, how long can I store cooked
>
> rice until it should be thrown away?
>

> John

If I didn't use it within 24 hrs, I'd toss.

If I were to freeze it, I just know I'd forget all about it and find it 6 months later - hence, nothing gained.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-11-02 22:28:14 +0000, jmcquown said:

> If you have more cooked rice than you can use, it freezes just fine.

I think it's texture is so compromised as to make it useless.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/2/2013 7:39 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Friday, November 1, 2013 10:06:27 PM UTC-4, Yes wrote:
>> If I put it in the fridge after cooking, how long can I store cooked
>>
>> rice until it should be thrown away?
>>

>> John

> If I didn't use it within 24 hrs, I'd toss.
>
> If I were to freeze it, I just know I'd forget all about it and find it 6 months later - hence, nothing gained.

Really? It's not that difficult to organize even a small freezer. Not
even difficult to write dates and contents on the containers/freezer
bags before putting them in the freezer.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/2/2013 7:44 PM, gtr wrote:
> On 2013-11-02 22:28:14 +0000, jmcquown said:
>
>> If you have more cooked rice than you can use, it freezes just fine.

> I think it's texture is so compromised as to make it useless.

It depends on how you cooked it in the first place. YMMV.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia > wrote in
:

>> If I put it in the fridge after cooking, how long can I store
>> cooked rice until it should be thrown away?

> If I didn't use it within 24 hrs, I'd toss.

I keep cooked rice in the fridge for three to four days in a sealed
container. Usually it's all gone by then. Twenty-four hours is
for food paranoids...like my wife who is constantly questioning
everything I do even though in the twenty-five years we have been
together, I have never poisoned her even once.

Put the amount of rice you want to eat in a bowl, sprinkle water on
the rice then cover and microwave for 1-2 minutes depending on the
amount. The water restores moisture to the rice.

--

Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected
from happening.

-- Barbara Tober

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/2/2013 8:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/2/2013 7:44 PM, gtr wrote:
>> On 2013-11-02 22:28:14 +0000, jmcquown said:
>>
>>> If you have more cooked rice than you can use, it freezes just fine.

>> I think it's texture is so compromised as to make it useless.
>>

> It depends on how you cooked it in the first place. YMMV.
>
> Jill

I've never had luck with freezing rice. How do you cook yours that you
are able to freeze it without affecting texture too much?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/1/2013 4:06 PM, Yes wrote:
> If I put it in the fridge after cooking, how long can I store cooked
> rice until it should be thrown away?
>
> John

I think you can keep it for about a day in the refrigerator. After a
day, the rice gets hard. Most times I don't stick it in the refrigerator
and will eat it the next day. The apartment that we used to rent is
about 30 feet away from our condo. There's something about the air in
that apartment with causes rice to get all wet and gooey and stinky
after a few hours. It's pretty disgusting. OTOH, it's interesting how
these places which are so close can have a vastly differing population
of microorganisms.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 21:30:13 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 11/1/2013 4:06 PM, Yes wrote:
>> If I put it in the fridge after cooking, how long can I store cooked
>> rice until it should be thrown away?
>>
>> John
>>

>I think you can keep it for about a day in the refrigerator. After a
>day, the rice gets hard. Most times I don't stick it in the refrigerator
>and will eat it the next day. The apartment that we used to rent is
>about 30 feet away from our condo. There's something about the air in
>that apartment with causes rice to get all wet and gooey and stinky
>after a few hours. It's pretty disgusting.

So that explains why you're all gooey, stinky, and disgusting. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 21:30:13 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On 11/1/2013 4:06 PM, Yes wrote:
> >> If I put it in the fridge after cooking, how long can I store cooked
> >> rice until it should be thrown away?
> >>
> >> John
> >>

> >I think you can keep it for about a day in the refrigerator. After a
> >day, the rice gets hard. Most times I don't stick it in the refrigerator
> >and will eat it the next day. The apartment that we used to rent is
> >about 30 feet away from our condo. There's something about the air in
> >that apartment with causes rice to get all wet and gooey and stinky
> >after a few hours. It's pretty disgusting.

> So that explains why you're all gooey, stinky, and disgusting. LOL

Maybe give dsil a little slack. After all, he lives on top of one of
the world's largest mountains.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Yes Yes is offline

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 02:06:27 +0000 (UTC), "Yes" >
> wrote:
>
> > If I put it in the fridge after cooking, how long can I store cooked
> > rice until it should be thrown away?
> >

> Throw it out when you see green fur. If that thought makes you
> squeamish, either freeze the leftovers or make less so you don't have
> to store more than you can eat during the following day.

LOL. Good advice. I had no intention of leftover or of storing it for
very long, just that I ended up with a bit more rice after my meal than
planned. I'd read comments about one use of left-over rice was as a
fried rice dish, which appealed to me.

With two or three exceptions, I normally do not have leftover food and
have little experience of how long one can put it in a fridge for later
use. I wanted to figure out how much time I might have before it
should be tossed as that impacts my meal planning.

The recipes that posters have provided are appreciated.

John
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-11-03 07:30:13 +0000, dsi1 said:

> I think you can keep it for about a day in the refrigerator. After a
> day, the rice gets hard.

Add water while steaming it back to life. It just occurs to me that I
do reheat refridgerated rice, usually Persian from a restaurant. It
clearly has butter/oil in it, and I assume that has something to do
with the fact that it can be revived.

In most references upstream I'm referring to straight short-grain
Japanese rice steamed. No other.

> Most times I don't stick it in the refrigerator and will eat it the
> next day. The apartment that we used to rent is about 30 feet away from
> our condo. There's something about the air in that apartment with
> causes rice to get all wet and gooey and stinky after a few hours. It's
> pretty disgusting. OTOH, it's interesting how these places which are so
> close can have a vastly differing population of microorganisms.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/3/2013 2:59 PM, gtr wrote:
> On 2013-11-03 07:30:13 +0000, dsi1 said:
>
>> I think you can keep it for about a day in the refrigerator. After a
>> day, the rice gets hard.

> Add water while steaming it back to life. It just occurs to me that I
> do reheat refridgerated rice, usually Persian from a restaurant. It
> clearly has butter/oil in it, and I assume that has something to do with
> the fact that it can be revived.
>
> In most references upstream I'm referring to straight short-grain
> Japanese rice steamed. No other.

I'm happy if I have a lot of rice in the refrigerator for fried rice.
Most times I have only a little which is sad, but what can you do?
Anyway, my suggestion for fried rice is to prepare the rice for frying
first by wetting your hand and digging in and breaking up the rice. I
could go for some kimchee fried rice right now!