Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My Alfredo keeps coming out lumpy

Everytime I make Alfredo sauce it comes out lumpy. Can anyone tell me
why and help me avoid this?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Everytime I make Alfredo sauce it comes out lumpy. Can anyone tell me
> why and help me avoid this?

Your alfredo is lumpy because you make it out of garbage.

For 4 people,
Melt 6 oz. butter. Add 6 oz. parmigiano reggiano and mix until the cheese
is wet. Add 1/4 cup of cream and stir the mixture to get a paste. Heat at
low temperature until the mixture is a smooth sauce. Mix with 1 pound of
fresh fettuccini (or equivalent measure of dried pasta) cooked according to
directions. I prefer fresh angel hair for the fine texture and one minute
cooking time.

You can learn to adjust the measurements according to your taste. The sauce
should taste like parmesan. The butter and cream are to give the cheese the
correct sauce consistency. Not enough cream and the sauce be too thick (or
solid) when it cools.

Mitch

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Mitch Scherer" > wrote in message
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> Everytime I make Alfredo sauce it comes out lumpy. Can anyone tell me
>>> why and help me avoid this?

>> Your alfredo is lumpy because you make it out of garbage.
>>
>> For 4 people,
>> Melt 6 oz. butter. Add 6 oz. parmigiano reggiano and mix until the cheese
>> is wet. Add 1/4 cup of cream and stir the mixture to get a paste. Heat
>> at low temperature until the mixture is a smooth sauce. Mix with 1 pound
>> of fresh fettuccini (or equivalent measure of dried pasta) cooked
>> according to directions. I prefer fresh angel hair for the fine texture
>> and one minute cooking time.
>>
>> You can learn to adjust the measurements according to your taste. The
>> sauce should taste like parmesan. The butter and cream are to give the
>> cheese the correct sauce consistency. Not enough cream and the sauce be
>> too thick (or solid) when it cools.

> That sounds utterly disgusting.

It isn't. But it's likely that the sauce is breaking before he can get
the pasta mixed in.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 00:05:08 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Mitch Scherer" > wrote in message

>> For 4 people,
>> Melt 6 oz. butter. Add 6 oz. parmigiano reggiano and mix until the cheese
>> is wet. Add 1/4 cup of cream and stir the mixture to get a paste. Heat
>> at low temperature until the mixture is a smooth sauce. Mix with 1 pound
>> of fresh fettuccini (or equivalent measure of dried pasta) cooked
>> according to directions. I prefer fresh angel hair for the fine texture
>> and one minute cooking time.
>>
>> You can learn to adjust the measurements according to your taste. The
>> sauce should taste like parmesan. The butter and cream are to give the
>> cheese the correct sauce consistency. Not enough cream and the sauce be
>> too thick (or solid) when it cools.

>That sounds utterly disgusting.

It isn't really.

I just learned something new last night. I was craving pasta..and I
was reading a food blog called the Amateur Gourmet. He talked about a
dish of pasta with parmesan and nutmeg..... No cream.. Just pasta,
butter, parmesan and nutmeg.. He talks about how he used to make
it...and then goes on to tell what he learned from Lidia
Bastianich....

http://www.amateurgourmet.com/

http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2006/0...ka_pasta_.html

I made this last night...it was simple, very good. Clean
flavors...not gunky...No cream, just butter..and a bit of the pasta
water per Lidia. And good Parmesan. I had some good Parmesan I
picked up in Richmond VA, of all places...from a place called Tom
Leonards. Son of Stew Leonard, of Stew Leonards' fame. Really good
parmesan,for the price. I grated it..and it was marvelous in the
pasta.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> I just learned something new last night. I was craving pasta..and I
> was reading a food blog called the Amateur Gourmet. He talked about a
> dish of pasta with parmesan and nutmeg..... No cream.. Just pasta,
> butter, parmesan and nutmeg.. He talks about how he used to make
> it...and then goes on to tell what he learned from Lidia
> Bastianich....
>
> http://www.amateurgourmet.com/
>
> http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2006/0...ka_pasta_.html
>
> I made this last night...it was simple, very good. Clean
> flavors...not gunky...No cream, just butter..and a bit of the pasta
> water per Lidia. And good Parmesan. I had some good Parmesan I
> picked up in Richmond VA, of all places...from a place called Tom
> Leonards. Son of Stew Leonard, of Stew Leonards' fame. Really good
> parmesan,for the price. I grated it..and it was marvelous in the
> pasta.

America's Test Kitchens says that fettucini Alfredo was originally made
with just pasta, butter, nutmeg and cheese. The cream bit came in later.
Most how-to's advocate using pasta water to loosen sauces that become
too thick.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mitch Scherer" > wrote in message
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Everytime I make Alfredo sauce it comes out lumpy. Can anyone tell me
>> why and help me avoid this?

> Your alfredo is lumpy because you make it out of garbage.
>
> For 4 people,
> Melt 6 oz. butter. Add 6 oz. parmigiano reggiano and mix until the cheese
> is wet. Add 1/4 cup of cream and stir the mixture to get a paste. Heat
> at low temperature until the mixture is a smooth sauce. Mix with 1 pound
> of fresh fettuccini (or equivalent measure of dried pasta) cooked
> according to directions. I prefer fresh angel hair for the fine texture
> and one minute cooking time.
>
> You can learn to adjust the measurements according to your taste. The
> sauce should taste like parmesan. The butter and cream are to give the
> cheese the correct sauce consistency. Not enough cream and the sauce be
> too thick (or solid) when it cools.

That sounds utterly disgusting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:07:48 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Christine Dabney" > wrote:

>> I just learned something new last night. I was craving pasta..and I
>> was reading a food blog called the Amateur Gourmet. He talked about a
>> dish of pasta with parmesan and nutmeg..... No cream.. Just pasta,
>> butter, parmesan and nutmeg.. He talks about how he used to make
>> it...and then goes on to tell what he learned from Lidia
>> Bastianich....

>I can see this, but butter, parmesan, and heavy cream? Too fatty for me.
>And I like fat. I think it is the butter added to the cheese that seems way
>too much to me.

Have you ever tried it? Don't knock it til you have tried it....
The way I fixed it last night, it wasn't too fatty at all....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:17:17 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>I really like pasta with a little butter and fresh grated parmesan. But
>the cream seems like too much, for me.

As many folks have stated, the original Alfredo was just butter and
parmesan, with no cream.

Try it with the nutmeg...

And try this variation, mentioned on the website I listed above. It
has no cream in it..and is loosened with pasta water.

Next time I might add more nutmeg. It was really, really good.

And to *******ize it, a touch of cream really isn't bad...but it isn't
needed. But it really isn't too rich with it either.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:21:56 -0600, Pennyaline
> wrote:

>America's Test Kitchens says that fettucini Alfredo was originally made
>with just pasta, butter, nutmeg and cheese. The cream bit came in later.
>Most how-to's advocate using pasta water to loosen sauces that become
>too thick.

Someone posted here a long time ago saying that American parmesan
isn't as "creamy" as cheese in Italy. I don't disagree with using
pasta water to loosen, it's just that I've never used it as the main
liquid in Alfredo. I'm satisfied with this recipe.

Simple Fettuccine Alfredo
(I hate the taste of nutmeg, so it's not mentioned here)

8 oz. "wide" noodles (use linguini or fettuccini), cooked until barely
al dente
6 oz. butter
1 1/2 C. heavy (whipping) cream
1 C Parmesan cheese
<I also use Romano, Asiago or a combination>
Salt and pepper

Melt the butter in a wide pan. Add cream and boil rapidly until
thick. Take off the heat. Add noodles to the cooking pan and toss
with the cheese.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Transfer to a warm bowl and serve immediately.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote:

>>That sounds utterly disgusting.
>>

> It isn't really.
>
> I just learned something new last night. I was craving pasta..and I
> was reading a food blog called the Amateur Gourmet. He talked about a
> dish of pasta with parmesan and nutmeg..... No cream.. Just pasta,
> butter, parmesan and nutmeg.. He talks about how he used to make
> it...and then goes on to tell what he learned from Lidia
> Bastianich....

I can see this, but butter, parmesan, and heavy cream? Too fatty for me.
And I like fat. I think it is the butter added to the cheese that seems way
too much to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Everytime I make Alfredo sauce it comes out lumpy. Can anyone tell me
> why and help me avoid this?

Make a thin white sauce and add your cheese.

The classic white sauce (bechamel) is (as I recall) two tablespoons butter
heated to a bubble with two tablespoons of flour added slowly and stirred
for two minutes. Then add a cup of milk, for a thinner sauce, a cup and a
half or more, slowly. Bring it to a boil reduce it to a simmer and stir the
whole time it thickens.

Add fresh grated parmesan to this, to taste, after it begins to thicken. You
won't get lumps, and it won't be pure grease like recipes that call for
nothing but butter and cheese and heavy cream. Ick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote

> It isn't really.
>
> I just learned something new last night. I was craving pasta..and I
> was reading a food blog called the Amateur Gourmet. He talked about a
> dish of pasta with parmesan and nutmeg..... No cream.. Just pasta,
> butter, parmesan and nutmeg.. He talks about how he used to make
> it...and then goes on to tell what he learned from Lidia
> Bastianich....
>
> http://www.amateurgourmet.com/
>
> http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2006/0...ka_pasta_.html

I really like pasta with a little butter and fresh grated parmesan. But
the cream seems like too much, for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:07:48 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Christine Dabney" > wrote:

>>> I just learned something new last night. I was craving pasta..and I
>>> was reading a food blog called the Amateur Gourmet. He talked about a
>>> dish of pasta with parmesan and nutmeg..... No cream.. Just pasta,
>>> butter, parmesan and nutmeg.. He talks about how he used to make
>>> it...and then goes on to tell what he learned from Lidia
>>> Bastianich....

>>I can see this, but butter, parmesan, and heavy cream? Too fatty for me.
>>And I like fat. I think it is the butter added to the cheese that seems
>>way
>>too much to me.

> Have you ever tried it? Don't knock it til you have tried it....
> The way I fixed it last night, it wasn't too fatty at all....

Well, maybe, I think you would have to make it for me. It's really hard for
me to get motivated to make something that sounds icky to me. Different
strokes, right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:21:56 -0600, Pennyaline
> > wrote:
>
>>America's Test Kitchens says that fettucini Alfredo was originally made
>>with just pasta, butter, nutmeg and cheese. The cream bit came in later.
>>Most how-to's advocate using pasta water to loosen sauces that become
>>too thick.

> Someone posted here a long time ago saying that American parmesan
> isn't as "creamy" as cheese in Italy. I don't disagree with using
> pasta water to loosen, it's just that I've never used it as the main
> liquid in Alfredo. I'm satisfied with this recipe.
>
> Simple Fettuccine Alfredo
> (I hate the taste of nutmeg, so it's not mentioned here)
>
> 8 oz. "wide" noodles (use linguini or fettuccini), cooked until barely
> al dente
> 6 oz. butter
> 1 1/2 C. heavy (whipping) cream
> 1 C Parmesan cheese
> <I also use Romano, Asiago or a combination>
> Salt and pepper
>
> Melt the butter in a wide pan. Add cream and boil rapidly until
> thick. Take off the heat. Add noodles to the cooking pan and toss
> with the cheese.
>
> Season to taste with salt and pepper.
>
> Transfer to a warm bowl and serve immediately.

Above is the way I prepare my alfredo, with the exception that I add the
cheese just before I add the noodles; then toss.
Probably turns out the same.

DeeDee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:17:17 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>I really like pasta with a little butter and fresh grated parmesan. But
>>the cream seems like too much, for me.

> As many folks have stated, the original Alfredo was just butter and
> parmesan, with no cream.
>
> Try it with the nutmeg...
>
> And try this variation, mentioned on the website I listed above. It
> has no cream in it..and is loosened with pasta water.
>
> Next time I might add more nutmeg. It was really, really good.
>
> And to *******ize it, a touch of cream really isn't bad...but it isn't
> needed. But it really isn't too rich with it either.
>
> Christine

To me, the added cream makes it a totally different taste -- well, not
totally, but you 'get my drift.' I like it with cream.

Sometime ago I had to use up some cream and was asking about alternatives.
I made a recipe of fettucine/alfredo.

After it refrigerated/solidified (with the fat and all ;-))) I cut it into
squares and put it into the freezer. Actually it is as good as you can
imagine a store-bought frozen macaroni/cheese or whatever. Heat it up and
have it anytime.

There is nothing wrong with eating fettucine/alfredo (fat-wise) when you
don't eat it alone or a big bowlful. I'll be freezing at least 1/3 of it
again when I make it.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Everytime I make Alfredo sauce it comes out lumpy. Can anyone tell me
>> why and help me avoid this?

> Make a thin white sauce and add your cheese.
>
> The classic white sauce (bechamel) is (as I recall) two tablespoons butter
> heated to a bubble with two tablespoons of flour added slowly and stirred
> for two minutes. Then add a cup of milk, for a thinner sauce, a cup and a
> half or more, slowly. Bring it to a boil reduce it to a simmer and stir
> the whole time it thickens.
>
> Add fresh grated parmesan to this, to taste, after it begins to thicken.
> You won't get lumps, and it won't be pure grease like recipes that call
> for nothing but butter and cheese and heavy cream. Ick.

Perhaps you will eat twice as much to acquire the requisite amount of grease
to satiate your palate.
Beware! ;-))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> Make a thin white sauce and add your cheese.

FLOUR in Alfredo?! Blasphemy....and not the desired flavor at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> Make a thin white sauce and add your cheese.
>>

> FLOUR in Alfredo?! Blasphemy....and not the desired flavor at all.

OMG. Here we go... somebody used the dreaded "A" word

Remember Bob P's Half-Assed ******* Sauce?

I'm sure it's been posted here about a mill-yun times... but here it is
for old time's sake:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pastorio's Half-Assed ******* Sauce

Recipe By :Bob Pastorio
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : pasta sauces/gravies

1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic
more butter -- if desired
2 tablespoons bacon fat -- if desired
1 large egg
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
flat leaf parsley
fresh ground black pepper

Use some milk. Real milk. Or some skim crap (my how often that shows up in
culinary discourse) with butter in it. The start of a cream coating for the
pasta.

For a pound of pasta, let's build a hypothetical dressing. 1/2 cup milk,
three tablespoons butter and a garlic clove (mashed and very finely minced)
heated until the butter melts and it comes to a boil. Stir to distribute
the butter and to poach the garlic. Reduce to about 1/3 cup - the reduction
will thicken a bit and have a richer mouthfeel. More butter wouldn't hurt
it, nor would a couple tablespoons bacon fat.

Meanwhile, break an egg into a large bowl and add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
and some fresh, flat leaf parsley. A good grating of black pepper. When the
pasta is done, drain it. Dump the milk reduction into the bowl with the egg
and whisk furiously to mix it all together. Dump the pasta in and toss
quickly to full coat. Serve immediately. More cheese at table.

"This is a half-assed approximation of a French Sauce Batard (q.v.)
that itself is enormously flexible."
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> cybercat wrote:
>>
>>> Make a thin white sauce and add your cheese.
>>>

>> FLOUR in Alfredo?! Blasphemy....and not the desired flavor at all.

> I know. I just cannot stand all that unadulterated grease. We like what we
> like. I'd rather make a thin white sauce, add good cheese, and forgo the
> heavy cream.

Quick definitions (grease)

a.. noun: a thick fatty oil (especially one used to lubricate machinery)
a.. noun: the state of being covered with unclean things
a.. verb: lubricate with grease (Example: "Grease the wheels")

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> Make a thin white sauce and add your cheese.
>>

> FLOUR in Alfredo?! Blasphemy....and not the desired flavor at all.

I know. I just cannot stand all that unadulterated grease. We like what we
like. I'd rather make a thin white sauce, add good cheese, and forgo the
heavy cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My Alfredo keeps coming out lumpy - the classic method

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Everytime I make Alfredo sauce it comes out lumpy. Can anyone tell me
> > why and help me avoid this?

> Make a thin white sauce and add your cheese.
>
> The classic white sauce (bechamel) is (as I recall) two tablespoons butter
> heated to a bubble with two tablespoons of flour added slowly and stirred
> for two minutes. Then add a cup of milk, for a thinner sauce, a cup and a
> half or more, slowly. Bring it to a boil reduce it to a simmer and stir

the
> whole time it thickens.
>
> Add fresh grated parmesan to this, to taste, after it begins to thicken.

You
> won't get lumps, and it won't be pure grease like recipes that call for
> nothing but butter and cheese and heavy cream. Ick.

No proper Alfredo sauce ever required flour.

OK, here is the classic method.

heat a large deep plate in the oven
when the pasta is ready remove it
put a large amount of soft butter, about 1/4 pound onto the plate
1 handful or more fresh reggiano, at least 1 cup
pasta goes straight from the water onto the plate
add a little pasta water
toss the pasta and butter/cheese
add cream (half and half is OK) and keep tossing
grate some fresh nutmeg onto the pasta

You will get a very smooth "sauce." That is how it is always done it Italy.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> No proper Alfredo sauce ever required flour.
>
> OK, here is the classic method.
>
> heat a large deep plate in the oven
> when the pasta is ready remove it
> put a large amount of soft butter, about 1/4 pound onto the plate
> 1 handful or more fresh reggiano, at least 1 cup
> pasta goes straight from the water onto the plate
> add a little pasta water
> toss the pasta and butter/cheese
> add cream (half and half is OK) and keep tossing
> grate some fresh nutmeg onto the pasta
>
> You will get a very smooth "sauce." That is how it is always done it
> Italy.
>
> Paul

I swore I would never again get trapped into an alfredo thread but ...

You were doing fine through the butter and cheese, but you lost me at the
cream.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice Friese" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>

> > No proper Alfredo sauce ever required flour.
> >
> > OK, here is the classic method.
> >
> > heat a large deep plate in the oven
> > when the pasta is ready remove it
> > put a large amount of soft butter, about 1/4 pound onto the plate
> > 1 handful or more fresh reggiano, at least 1 cup
> > pasta goes straight from the water onto the plate
> > add a little pasta water
> > toss the pasta and butter/cheese
> > add cream (half and half is OK) and keep tossing
> > grate some fresh nutmeg onto the pasta
> >
> > You will get a very smooth "sauce." That is how it is always done it
> > Italy.
> >
> > Paul

> I swore I would never again get trapped into an alfredo thread but ...
>
> You were doing fine through the butter and cheese, but you lost me at the
> cream.

Well that's the dish. If you don't like it, don't make it. It's quite a
load of fat and calories, no way around it. But you don't eat it every day.
I like to have papaya for dessert if I am having a meal that is overly rich.
Makes for a much more comfortable transition.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> > . ..

> >> FLOUR in Alfredo?! Blasphemy....and not the desired flavor at all.

> > I know. I just cannot stand all that unadulterated grease. We like what

we
> > like. I'd rather make a thin white sauce, add good cheese, and forgo the
> > heavy cream.

> Quick definitions (grease)
>

> a.. noun: a thick fatty oil (especially one used to lubricate machinery)
> a.. noun: the state of being covered with unclean things
> a.. verb: lubricate with grease (Example: "Grease the wheels")

A properly made Alfredo should contain enough grease to repack your car's
wheel bearings. That's why it is so delicious, it has the potential to kill
you if taken to excess. What works for sex works for food. It's best when
it is really bad for you.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:01:21 GMT, "Paul M. Cook"
> wrote:

>"Felice Friese" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>

>> > No proper Alfredo sauce ever required flour.
>> >
>> > OK, here is the classic method.
>> >
>> > heat a large deep plate in the oven
>> > when the pasta is ready remove it
>> > put a large amount of soft butter, about 1/4 pound onto the plate
>> > 1 handful or more fresh reggiano, at least 1 cup
>> > pasta goes straight from the water onto the plate
>> > add a little pasta water
>> > toss the pasta and butter/cheese
>> > add cream (half and half is OK) and keep tossing
>> > grate some fresh nutmeg onto the pasta
>> >
>> > You will get a very smooth "sauce." That is how it is always done it
>> > Italy.
>> >
>> > Paul

>> I swore I would never again get trapped into an alfredo thread but ...
>>
>> You were doing fine through the butter and cheese, but you lost me at the
>> cream.

>Well that's the dish. If you don't like it, don't make it. It's quite a
>load of fat and calories, no way around it. But you don't eat it every day.
>I like to have papaya for dessert if I am having a meal that is overly rich.
>Makes for a much more comfortable transition.

Not only that, but in Italy the cream is a double cream, which I have
never seen in the states.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

raymond wrote:

> Not only that, but in Italy the cream is a double cream, which I have
> never seen in the states.

I'd love to see it become a common item in grocery stores. Can you imagine
the reaction from the food police? Their heads would explode. LOL!!!! Maybe
New York City could enact a preemptive ban.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"raymond" > wrote in message
> Not only that, but in Italy the cream is a double cream, which I have
> never seen in the states.

Maybe not for sale, but you'll find it at my house :-))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Dee.Dee wrote:

> "raymond" > wrote in message
> > Not only that, but in Italy the cream is a double cream, which I have
> > never seen in the states.

> Maybe not for sale, but you'll find it at my house :-))
>
> Dee Dee

How do you get the double cream, then, Dee Dee? I'm curious because I've
never seen nor had it before. Is it a recipe or process? I always have
heavy whipping cream on hand, but it's the ultra-pastuerized stuff
that's 36-40% milkfat. Do you have your own source of fresh milk nearby
from a live dairy cow? Thanks.

Sky, who doesn't have any dairy cows ;>

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote

> Dee.Dee wrote:

>> "raymond" > wrote

>> > Not only that, but in Italy the cream is a double cream, which I have
>> > never seen in the states.

>> Maybe not for sale, but you'll find it at my house :-))

> How do you get the double cream, then, Dee Dee? I'm curious because I've
> never seen nor had it before. Is it a recipe or process? I always have
> heavy whipping cream on hand, but it's the ultra-pastuerized stuff
> that's 36-40% milkfat. Do you have your own source of fresh milk nearby
> from a live dairy cow? Thanks.

You know that half a cow someone was packing up the
other day? Dee owns the other half.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Sky" > wrote
>
> > Dee.Dee wrote:

> >> "raymond" > wrote

> >> Maybe not for sale, but you'll find it at my house :-))

> > How do you get the double cream, then, Dee Dee? I'm curious because I've
> > never seen nor had it before. Is it a recipe or process? I always have
> > heavy whipping cream on hand, but it's the ultra-pastuerized stuff
> > that's 36-40% milkfat. Do you have your own source of fresh milk nearby
> > from a live dairy cow? Thanks.

> You know that half a cow someone was packing up the
> other day? Dee owns the other half.
>
> nancy

LOL! I needed a splutter warning for that one <G>. So, does that mean
Dee Dee has half double cream, or double half-cream? Oh, just too
funny. Thanks for the laughs, Nancy

Sky, who's still giggling

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> > How do you get the double cream, then, Dee Dee? I'm curious because
>> > I've
>> > never seen nor had it before. Is it a recipe or process? I always
>> > have
>> > heavy whipping cream on hand, but it's the ultra-pastuerized stuff
>> > that's 36-40% milkfat. Do you have your own source of fresh milk
>> > nearby
>> > from a live dairy cow? Thanks.

>> You know that half a cow someone was packing up the
>> other day? Dee owns the other half.

> LOL! I needed a splutter warning for that one <G>. So, does that mean
> Dee Dee has half double cream, or double half-cream? Oh, just too
> funny. Thanks for the laughs, Nancy
>
> Sky, who's still giggling

(laugh) I actually think she does have a share in a cow, but
she'll say if I made that up.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Dee.Dee wrote:
>>
>> "raymond" > wrote in message
>> > Not only that, but in Italy the cream is a double cream, which I have
>> > never seen in the states.

>> Maybe not for sale, but you'll find it at my house :-))
>>
>> Dee Dee

> How do you get the double cream, then, Dee Dee? I'm curious because I've
> never seen nor had it before. Is it a recipe or process? I always have
> heavy whipping cream on hand, but it's the ultra-pastuerized stuff
> that's 36-40% milkfat. Do you have your own source of fresh milk nearby
> from a live dairy cow? Thanks.
>
> Sky, who doesn't have any dairy cows ;>

Hi Sky,

Yes, I get my milk from a pesticide free farm. I get a gallon every week; I
pick it up on Fri, Sat or Sunday. Depending upon the season, the cream will
vary. This week it was soooo thick and heavy and there was 3 cups of it. I
can't say that it is double cream for sure, because I have no way of
measuring the fat; maybe I was overstating (a bit of hyperbole perhaps?) .
But it feels as it will almost stand alone ;-))

Here is zee place.
http://www.hedgebrook.com/cowboarding.asp

Sometimes there will be just 2 cups and not always as thick, but it will
always be thick. It will never ever be as thin as half-and-half.

As a result of discussing this here on this group, I got enough
encouragement to research where I could buy farm milk; I've been doing this
for a while now. Thanks all who encouraged me.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> > How do you get the double cream, then, Dee Dee? I'm curious because
>> > I've
>> > never seen nor had it before. Is it a recipe or process? I always
>> > have
>> > heavy whipping cream on hand, but it's the ultra-pastuerized stuff
>> > that's 36-40% milkfat. Do you have your own source of fresh milk
>> > nearby
>> > from a live dairy cow? Thanks.

>> You know that half a cow someone was packing up the
>> other day? Dee owns the other half.
>>
>> nancy

> LOL! I needed a splutter warning for that one <G>. So, does that mean
> Dee Dee has half double cream, or double half-cream? Oh, just too
> funny. Thanks for the laughs, Nancy
>
> Sky, who's still giggling

They didn't get full-value. Mine is still producing.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> You were doing fine through the butter and cheese, but you lost me at the
> cream.

I think I see you behind the pickles. Wave a few times.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> raymond wrote:
>
>> Not only that, but in Italy the cream is a double cream, which I have
>> never seen in the states.

> I'd love to see it become a common item in grocery stores. Can you imagine
> the reaction from the food police? Their heads would explode. LOL!!!!
> Maybe New York City could enact a preemptive ban.

Fat is my friend. If only it wouldn't keep sticking around.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 00:05:08 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Mitch Scherer" > wrote in message

>>> For 4 people,
>>> Melt 6 oz. butter. Add 6 oz. parmigiano reggiano and mix until the
>>> cheese
>>> is wet. Add 1/4 cup of cream and stir the mixture to get a paste. Heat
>>> at low temperature until the mixture is a smooth sauce. Mix with 1
>>> pound
>>> of fresh fettuccini (or equivalent measure of dried pasta) cooked
>>> according to directions. I prefer fresh angel hair for the fine texture
>>> and one minute cooking time.
>>>
>>> You can learn to adjust the measurements according to your taste. The
>>> sauce should taste like parmesan. The butter and cream are to give the
>>> cheese the correct sauce consistency. Not enough cream and the sauce be
>>> too thick (or solid) when it cools.

>>That sounds utterly disgusting.
>>

> It isn't really.
>
> I just learned something new last night. I was craving pasta..and I
> was reading a food blog called the Amateur Gourmet. He talked about a
> dish of pasta with parmesan and nutmeg..... No cream.. Just pasta,
> butter, parmesan and nutmeg.. He talks about how he used to make
> it...and then goes on to tell what he learned from Lidia
> Bastianich....
>
> http://www.amateurgourmet.com/
>
> http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2006/0...ka_pasta_.html
>
> I made this last night...it was simple, very good. Clean
> flavors...not gunky...No cream, just butter..and a bit of the pasta
> water per Lidia. And good Parmesan. I had some good Parmesan I
> picked up in Richmond VA, of all places...from a place called Tom
> Leonards. Son of Stew Leonard, of Stew Leonards' fame. Really good
> parmesan,for the price. I grated it..and it was marvelous in the
> pasta.
>
> Christine

Alfredo's original recipe simply called for equal parts parmigiano reggiano
and butter, but if you don't wolf it down before it cools, it will solidify.
This cheese is one of the most treasured delicacies of Italy and they don't
think it is disgusting.

Mitch

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Dee.Dee wrote:

> "Sky" > wrote in message
> > Dee.Dee wrote:
> >>
> >> Maybe not for sale, but you'll find it at my house :-))
> >>
> >> Dee Dee

> > How do you get the double cream, then, Dee Dee? I'm curious because I've
> > never seen nor had it before. Is it a recipe or process? I always have
> > heavy whipping cream on hand, but it's the ultra-pastuerized stuff
> > that's 36-40% milkfat. Do you have your own source of fresh milk nearby
> > from a live dairy cow? Thanks.
> >
> > Sky, who doesn't have any dairy cows ;>
> >

> Hi Sky,
>
> Yes, I get my milk from a pesticide free farm. I get a gallon every week; I
> pick it up on Fri, Sat or Sunday. Depending upon the season, the cream will
> vary. This week it was soooo thick and heavy and there was 3 cups of it. I
> can't say that it is double cream for sure, because I have no way of
> measuring the fat; maybe I was overstating (a bit of hyperbole perhaps?) .
> But it feels as it will almost stand alone ;-))
>
> Here is zee place.
> http://www.hedgebrook.com/cowboarding.asp
>
> Sometimes there will be just 2 cups and not always as thick, but it will
> always be thick. It will never ever be as thin as half-and-half.
>
> As a result of discussing this here on this group, I got enough
> encouragement to research where I could buy farm milk; I've been doing this
> for a while now. Thanks all who encouraged me.
>
> Dee Dee

Thanks for the link, Dee Dee. I'm extremely jealous too! ;D Alas, I
believe it is illegal in Illinois for farmers to sell milk/cream in any
form directly to the consumer (without pastuerization) - dang it! I
would so love to get 'whole milk' directly from the cow, too!

Sky, who drinks at least 3 gallons of milk a week

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice