Q: How long to smoke a cured ham?

Old 03-05-2004, 04:37 AM
Meatchief
Usenet poster

Default Q: How long to smoke a cured ham?

Got 1/2 a cured, bone-in ham left from a butchered pig- the meat
market has the package labled ham steak, although it is not cut into
steaks. It's about a 5# chunk, and is about 5" thick at the thickest
part. Thinking about throwing it in the smoker and then having mom
over for lunch on mother's day. Wondering about how long I should
smoke it in my NBBD, and at what temp. Also thinking about tossing a
couple whole chickens in the smoker at the same time, but I usually do
them at about 350 degrees, which might be too hot for the ham?

Wondering what guidance all of you experts can provide me.

Thanks!

-Chief

Old 03-05-2004, 05:08 AM
Big Jim
Usenet poster

Default How long to smoke a cured ham?

"Meatchief" wrote in message

Got 1/2 a cured, bone-in ham left from a butchered pig- the meat
market has the package labled ham steak, although it is not cut into
steaks. It's about a 5# chunk, and is about 5" thick at the thickest
part. Thinking about throwing it in the smoker and then having mom
over for lunch on mother's day. Wondering about how long I should
smoke it in my NBBD, and at what temp. Also thinking about tossing a
couple whole chickens in the smoker at the same time, but I usually do
them at about 350 degrees, which might be too hot for the ham?

Wondering what guidance all of you experts can provide me.

Thanks!

-Chief

The ham is basically already cooked so you aren't trying to cook it. Heat
it at the chicken cooking temp. When I do the cured hams it usually take
about 4 hours to heat a whole one thru.
--
Big Jim

www.lazyq.com

Old 03-05-2004, 05:44 AM
Steve Wertz
Usenet poster

On Mon, 03 May 2004 04:08:09 GMT, "Big Jim"
wrote:

The ham is basically already cooked so you aren't trying to cook it. Heat
it at the chicken cooking temp. When I do the cured hams it usually take
about 4 hours to heat a whole one thru.

Not all hams are previously cooked. I always make sure I get the
raw "ready to cook" hams, which according to the USDA have never
been exposed to temperatures above 120F.

-sw
Old 04-05-2004, 07:44 AM
Kent H.
Usenet poster

The overwhelming probability is that your cured ham is precooked and
possibly smoked. When you "cook" it you are basically warming it up. I
have done this in a Weber but at a lower temp., maybe 250-275 or so with
wood chunks to hopefully make it taste like it is/was smoked. I don't
heat a precooked ham to much more than 120F to avoid drying it out. As
Julia says, the great thing about a ham like this is that after you heat
it up, you can do it again and everything will be pretty much the same,
so you don't want to dry it out the first time.
Cheers,
Kent