Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oil cured olives

I really need to keep my strong reading glasses handy. I bought some
olives today, and turns out they were "oil cured," but not with olive
oil, with sunflower oil. Grrrrr.
At least they do taste good.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> I really need to keep my strong reading glasses handy. I bought some
> olives today, and turns out they were "oil cured," but not with olive
> oil, with sunflower oil. Grrrrr.
> At least they do taste good.

Isn't taste what counts? Sunflower oil is
a good oil healthwise, so no complaint there.
If they had used olive oil, it probably would
have been a lower quality oil, so it's not
like you missed a lot. This seems like
complaining your dark chocolate bar is 72%
when you wanted 77%.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 13:30:11 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Bryan wrote:
>>
>> I really need to keep my strong reading glasses handy. I bought some
>> olives today, and turns out they were "oil cured," but not with olive
>> oil, with sunflower oil. Grrrrr.
>> At least they do taste good.

>Isn't taste what counts? Sunflower oil is
>a good oil healthwise, so no complaint there.
>If they had used olive oil, it probably would
>have been a lower quality oil, so it's not
>like you missed a lot. This seems like
>complaining your dark chocolate bar is 72%
>when you wanted 77%.

And such a pickyunish complaint would be someting you would hear
(read) out of Bryan too!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 1:40*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 13:30:11 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> >Bryan wrote:

> >> I really need to keep my strong reading glasses handy. *I bought some
> >> olives today, and turns out they were "oil cured," but not with olive
> >> oil, with sunflower oil. *Grrrrr.
> >> At least they do taste good.

> >Isn't taste what counts? *Sunflower oil is
> >a good oil healthwise, so no complaint there.
> >If they had used olive oil, it probably would
> >have been a lower quality oil, so it's not
> >like you missed a lot. *This seems like
> >complaining your dark chocolate bar is 72%
> >when you wanted 77%.

> And such a pickyunish complaint would be someting you would hear
> (read) out of Bryan too!
>
> John Kuthe...

someting?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Bryan wrote:
> >
> > I really need to keep my strong reading glasses handy. I bought some
> > olives today, and turns out they were "oil cured," but not with olive
> > oil, with sunflower oil. Grrrrr.
> > At least they do taste good.

> Isn't taste what counts? Sunflower oil is
> a good oil healthwise, so no complaint there.
> If they had used olive oil, it probably would
> have been a lower quality oil, so it's not
> like you missed a lot. This seems like
> complaining your dark chocolate bar is 72%
> when you wanted 77%.

My complaint is that for some unknown reason oil cured olives seem to be
really difficult to find around here which sucks since they are what I
prefer for many dishes. Even the high end market seems to have them only
10% of the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 3:30*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
>
> > I really need to keep my strong reading glasses handy. *I bought some
> > olives today, and turns out they were "oil cured," but not with olive
> > oil, with sunflower oil. *Grrrrr.
> > At least they do taste good.

> Isn't taste what counts? *Sunflower oil is
> a good oil healthwise, so no complaint there.

Conventional sunflower oil isn't good, healthwise.

> If they had used olive oil, it probably would
> have been a lower quality oil, so it's not
> like you missed a lot.

You can bet that they used to low quality sunflower oil:
http://www.sunflowernsa.com/health/s...acid-profiles/
The high oleic sunflower--which is what I use at home--is very similar
to olive,
but the high linoleic is very different. Right now, the only oil
other than high oleic
sunflower that I have in the house is EVOO, and I use that in small
amounts as a
flavorant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-6_fatty_acid

http://211.76.170.15/server/APJCN/Vo...31-134S6-6.pdf

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 3:45*pm, Chemo > wrote:
> On Dec 4, 1:40*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 13:30:11 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> > wrote:

> > >Isn't taste what counts? *Sunflower oil is
> > >a good oil healthwise, so no complaint there.
> > >If they had used olive oil, it probably would
> > >have been a lower quality oil, so it's not
> > >like you missed a lot. *This seems like
> > >complaining your dark chocolate bar is 72%
> > >when you wanted 77%.

> > And such a pickyunish complaint would be someting you would hear
> > (read) out of Bryan too!

If John spent as much time reading research on nutrition as he does
masturbating
with his college degrees, he'd understand why I was displeased.

> > John Kuthe...

> someting?

He also misspelled picayunish. But John doesn't need to spell like an
educated person.
He *is* an educated person. Why he's got him some o' them there
college degrees.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Dienstag, 4. Dezember 2012 21:59:53 UTC+1 schrieb Bryan:
> I really need to keep my strong reading glasses handy. I bought some
>
> olives today, and turns out they were "oil cured," but not with olive
>
> oil, with sunflower oil. Grrrrr.
>
> At least they do taste good.
>

> --Bryan

I thought your post was about how to cure olives, when I
just read the thread header.

I bought raw olives from the market last year, and checked the
internet for curing/pickling, and it seemed very complicated,
putting them in water, then changing the water, then adding vinegar,
etc. and I did it for ten days, and then threw them away,
because they still tasted bitter and...just horrible.
I took a few and boiled them, then laid them in vinegar, but
they too tasted bitter, like unripe nuts.

Some things just don't work out. (Yes, I checked on this
group's archives for info on how to cure olives, and it's
just too much bother when there are people around who can
do it better and who then sell me the jars of olives.)

Melanie

Oh goody - I must be cured by now then! Ian Field Diabetic 0 25-04-2014 06:49 PM
Black olives = kalamata olives? Jim Elbrecht General Cooking 54 18-04-2013 12:33 AM
Dry cured ham - US, Italy or Fish General Cooking 3 14-11-2011 03:17 AM
Dry Cured Ham?? Kent Preserving 3 26-07-2006 08:57 PM
how to air-cured meats KenCo Preserving 2 05-02-2004 06:38 PM