Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default How long for smoke?

I have used the indirect heat method on my 2
burner gas grill and slow cooked ribs,a pork shoulder and chicken with great
results.I am planning now to try adding smoking with pecan wood in a smoker
box.I have been advised that one need use the smoke aspect
A)0nly for the first hour
B)Until the chicken reaches 140
C) until the meat is done-i.e.,the whole time

Thanks for your feedback
Hank

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

hbienert wrote:

> I have used the indirect heat method on my 2
> burner gas grill and slow cooked ribs,a pork shoulder and chicken with great
> results.I am planning now to try adding smoking with pecan wood in a smoker
> box.I have been advised that one need use the smoke aspect

> A)0nly for the first hour

Not a good rule of thumb.

> B)Until the chicken reaches 140

The 140 F figure is an old myth. Meat will continue to take up
smoke above 140 F through a process called adsorption.

> C) until the meat is done-i.e.,the whole time

Again, it depends. The 3 lbs of shrimp I did last night
got smoke for the whole cook. For a pork butt only for about
the first half. For something I'm going to serve immediately
I go easier on the smoke than something I'm cooking ahead
because the smoke flavor tends to settle down with time.

It's completely a matter of your own taste.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Smoked (pecan) chx for an hour and slow cooked the next 2 without-GOOD
Thnx for the help

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

hankus wrote:

> Smoked (pecan) chx for an hour and slow cooked the next 2 without-GOOD
> Thnx for the help

Glad to hear it came out well.

Love pecan. I'm picking up a load today, along with some apple,
cherry, oak, and alder. I avoid mesquite. It's one of the few
things I won't do to food even if people ask for it, no matter
how insistent they are.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message
t...

>>> I avoid mesquite. <<<

I've tried it several times and was quite disappointed. Don't understand
it's popularity. RM~

PS, I use and like the other woods you mentioned, particularly apple.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:34:38 -0500, Rob Mills wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
> t...

> I've tried it several times and was quite disappointed. Don't understand
> it's popularity. RM~
>
> PS, I use and like the other woods you mentioned, particularly apple.

Me personaly, I am a fan of mesquite. It can be a very easily over
powering flavor so use it sparingly. But it is still good flavor

What do you smoke? Kent Barbecue 19 08-07-2006 02:18 PM
The 10th Annual Schaller State Fair Ribbon Report - The Queen is Dead! Long live the Queen! - But Life Ain't Bad (Long) Melba's Jammin' Preserving 16 01-09-2005 06:33 PM
The 10th Annual Schaller State Fair Ribbon Report - The Queen is Dead! Long live the Queen! - But Life Ain't Bad (Long) Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 50 28-08-2005 02:07 AM
How long do I smoke chicken? [email protected] General Cooking 8 07-06-2005 02:09 PM
Q: How long to smoke a cured ham? Meatchief Barbecue 3 04-05-2004 07:44 AM