Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default License to sell?

Does anyone here know what the requirements, costs and procedures to get
licensed to make wine to sell. I'm talking micro - micro winery type stuff.

I would love to be able to make it to sell locally by special order. Like
many of you guys I get people asking to buy some and of course I have to
refuse or risk going to jail. So I've come up with the brilliant idea of
maybe getting licensed. If the costs are not prohibative then I get the
added benefit of being able to make a whole lot of wine and make a few
dollars (or maybe just recoup costs) in the process.

OBTW I live in Louisisana.

Thanks
Brad

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I'm in the process of doing that now.
I would check with your county zoning regs, to see if a small winery
operation is permitted use, then check your state requirements, and finally
fill out the paperwork for the TTB.

Sounds easy, I'm been invested two years of time and $10,000.00 so far.

Good Luck.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Contact the ACB/ABC for your state

http://www.ttb.gov/alcohol/info/faq/subpages/lcb.htm

You have to comply with both state and federal regulations- which
generally involve a bonded premise which is not your home.
http://www.atc.rev.state.la.us/

I believe this document from LA covers what you need to know-
http://www.atc.rev.state.la.us/docs/law.pdf

You would most likely be considered a "manufacturer" and a "dealer".
IANAL.

Manufacturers = 1000$ in state permit fee
There's also the microbrew permit....

and then taxes...

Good luck. Keep good notes it might make a great story

Brad wrote:
> Does anyone here know what the requirements, costs and procedures to get
> licensed to make wine to sell. I'm talking micro - micro winery type stuff.
>
> I would love to be able to make it to sell locally by special order. Like
> many of you guys I get people asking to buy some and of course I have to
> refuse or risk going to jail. So I've come up with the brilliant idea of
> maybe getting licensed. If the costs are not prohibative then I get the
> added benefit of being able to make a whole lot of wine and make a few
> dollars (or maybe just recoup costs) in the process.
>
> OBTW I live in Louisisana.
>
> Thanks
> Brad

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

When you look at the licencing requirements look for a special license
pertaining to farms. Some states have small production farm licenses
that allow them only sell from the farm but reduces the complexity and
cost of getting the license.

Also this may require you have to hook up with a farmer if you don't
own a working farm yourself.

Andy

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks... The researce begins... but right off the top it sounds like it's
going to be a lot more then I am willing or able to throw at it. I was
talking about starting a REAL small operation. I just want to be legal.

I'll let y'all know what happens.

Brad

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Contact the ACB/ABC for your state
>
> http://www.ttb.gov/alcohol/info/faq/subpages/lcb.htm
>
> You have to comply with both state and federal regulations- which
> generally involve a bonded premise which is not your home.
> http://www.atc.rev.state.la.us/
>
> I believe this document from LA covers what you need to know-
> http://www.atc.rev.state.la.us/docs/law.pdf
>
> You would most likely be considered a "manufacturer" and a "dealer".
> IANAL.
>
> Manufacturers = 1000$ in state permit fee
> There's also the microbrew permit....
>
> and then taxes...
>
> Good luck. Keep good notes it might make a great story
>
> Brad wrote:
>> Does anyone here know what the requirements, costs and procedures to get
>> licensed to make wine to sell. I'm talking micro - micro winery type
>> stuff.
>>
>> I would love to be able to make it to sell locally by special order. Like
>> many of you guys I get people asking to buy some and of course I have to
>> refuse or risk going to jail. So I've come up with the brilliant idea of
>> maybe getting licensed. If the costs are not prohibative then I get the
>> added benefit of being able to make a whole lot of wine and make a few
>> dollars (or maybe just recoup costs) in the process.
>>
>> OBTW I live in Louisisana.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Brad

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Here's a thought Brad. If you have friends that like your wine ask them if
they would like to make wine with you. I've done this and I believe it's
legal. I grow grapes and make wine as a hobby. I sell excess grapes to
other home winemakers. If a friend wants to make wine I sell them the
grapes, yeast, oak and other ingredients that are involved and a little
expertise. They help with all steps. Finally they bottle and attach their
labels. We are talking about 5 to 6 gallon volumes. They get 25 to 30
bottles of wine. I get a little income to offset my expenses. It's fun for
everyone involved.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

"Brad" > wrote in message
. ..
> Thanks... The researce begins... but right off the top it sounds like it's
> going to be a lot more then I am willing or able to throw at it. I was
> talking about starting a REAL small operation. I just want to be legal.
>
> I'll let y'all know what happens.
>
> Brad

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

i agree with bill. we' ve got a little consortium going with a revolving
cast of characters. (actually it's closer to a famiglia w/ capos, soldiers &
crews.) minimum buy-in is a 5 cases of grapes commitment. "soldiers" get
assessed a yearly fee to cover my costs for sani, smallwares, chemistry,
etc. "capos" kick back some vig for capitol expenditures: a new barrel,
carboys, "scola bottiglia" and the like. lables, bottles and corks are ones
own responsibilty. i can see the allure of selling some of your product,
but $10K for the privilege?... we'd rather have some laughs & socialize
than make this a serious thing... just MHO. regards, bobdrob

"William Frazier" > wrote in message
> Here's a thought Brad. If you have friends that like your wine ask them
> if they would like to make wine with you. I've done this and I believe
> it's legal. I grow grapes and make wine as a hobby. I sell excess grapes
> to other home winemakers. If a friend wants to make wine I sell them the
> grapes, yeast, oak and other ingredients that are involved and a little
> expertise. They help with all steps. Finally they bottle and attach
> their labels. We are talking about 5 to 6 gallon volumes. They get 25 to
> 30 bottles of wine. I get a little income to offset my expenses. It's
> fun for everyone involved.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas USA
>
> "Brad" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Thanks... The researce begins... but right off the top it sounds like
>> it's going to be a lot more then I am willing or able to throw at it. I
>> was talking about starting a REAL small operation. I just want to be
>> legal.
>>
>> I'll let y'all know what happens.
>>
>> Brad

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

You'll need at least 2 $1,500 bonds.

A facility that is totally separate from any other area, or if at home
an area that can be locked off and prevent members of your family and
friends from entering.

Check with your local zoning laws, many states prohibit wineries from
operating in a home.

You'll need a Fed license before you can get your state.

Register with the state health department, because you'll be a food
provider. License fee for your state unknown.

Register with the Fed Dept of Homeland Security to comply with the
bioterrism act and start the paperwork trail for chain of command.

You'll need a glass supplier, you can't recycle bottles if you're
licensed.

and on and on....

From a guy who went from amateur to commercial I have to warn you...
Make sure this is REALLY what you want to do. It isn't easy and really
changes your hobby.
there is a LOT of paperwork that you'll have to file every month, or
every 2 weeks in the case of the Feds.

Dave

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 07:23:05 -0500, "Brad" >
wrote:

>Does anyone here know what the requirements, costs and procedures to get
>licensed to make wine to sell. I'm talking micro - micro winery type stuff.
>
>I would love to be able to make it to sell locally by special order. Like
>many of you guys I get people asking to buy some and of course I have to
>refuse or risk going to jail. So I've come up with the brilliant idea of
>maybe getting licensed. If the costs are not prohibative then I get the
>added benefit of being able to make a whole lot of wine and make a few
>dollars (or maybe just recoup costs) in the process.
>
>OBTW I live in Louisisana.
>
>Thanks
>Brad

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Dave,
Thanks for the information and the input. It obviously seems to be WAY more
then I wanted to get into. The suggestion I was given in an earlier thread
about forming a group that contributed to the wine makeing process in
various ways is probably more up my alley. Ijust thought it would've been
"cool" to be able to have some of my wine sold at local store. But ... you
nailed it on it changing your hobby. It just wouldn't be fun anymore.

Thanks,

Brad
"Dave" > wrote in message
> You'll need at least 2 $1,500 bonds.
>
> A facility that is totally separate from any other area, or if at home
> an area that can be locked off and prevent members of your family and
> friends from entering.
>
> Check with your local zoning laws, many states prohibit wineries from
> operating in a home.
>
> You'll need a Fed license before you can get your state.
>
> Register with the state health department, because you'll be a food
> provider. License fee for your state unknown.
>
> Register with the Fed Dept of Homeland Security to comply with the
> bioterrism act and start the paperwork trail for chain of command.
>
> You'll need a glass supplier, you can't recycle bottles if you're
> licensed.
>
> and on and on....
>
> From a guy who went from amateur to commercial I have to warn you...
> Make sure this is REALLY what you want to do. It isn't easy and really
> changes your hobby.
> there is a LOT of paperwork that you'll have to file every month, or
> every 2 weeks in the case of the Feds.
>
> Dave

OT Check your Drivers license notbob General Cooking 0 17-10-2006 10:35 PM
License to Grill Peter General Cooking 4 27-09-2006 11:43 PM
Winery license cost Johnny Mc Winemaking 3 24-11-2005 05:42 PM
I think I need a license to use my fridge.... cathyxyz General Cooking 9 20-05-2005 12:55 PM
How much does the license cost? General 0 25-10-2003 06:43 PM