Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Atrebla

Default Making port from a red wine kit

I'm interested in making a "port" style wine from a red wine kit that is,
starting, for example, with a Temprillo kit and then stopping fermentation
with alcol\brandy. I thought I'd seen something like that on this forum but
can't find it now. Does anyone have a recipe\instructions?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Leslie Gadallah

Atrebla wrote:
> I'm interested in making a "port" style wine from a red wine kit that is,
> starting, for example, with a Temprillo kit and then stopping fermentation
> with alcol\brandy. I thought I'd seen something like that on this forum but
> can't find it now. Does anyone have a recipe\instructions?

Try GrapestoGlass.com They have an in-house recipe. (I'm
assuming from your email address that you're Alberta)

Les
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
CJ

When using grapes, making port-style is essentially letting about half
of the sugar ferment, then topping up with spirit (for example Taylor's
uses a 77 or 78% grape spirit, but many home-winemakers use neutral
grain spirits) to bring the alcohol up to 20%.

I have no idea if it would work well using a kit, as they are generally
adjusted to be finished dry, but I imagine that if nothing else it
would be delicious and interesting ! What more can you ask for !

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
hap

Do you have to stabalize or will the increased alcohol content stop the
fermentation?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Atrebla

The traditional Portuguese method is to stop the fermentation by adding
alcohol (Brandy) and that's the method I want to try.

ups.com...

Making a Port spud Winemaking 14 09-01-2010 02:42 PM
making wine or port from raisined zinfandel Lee[_11_] Winemaking 1 30-03-2008 09:09 PM
Making Port JCP Winemaking 7 22-11-2006 06:14 AM
Making Port (again !) Mike R Winemaking 11 17-03-2004 01:44 PM
Port wine Sauce Help using Vintage Port (opened a couple of weeks ago - but refrigerated) Kate B General Cooking 2 22-12-2003 10:29 PM