Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
JCP JCP is offline

Default Making Port

I'm trying to make a traditional style port by stopping the
fermentation with the addition of alcohol.
Does anyone know whether it is better to stop the fermentation while
the must is still on the skins and let it sit a few days or should I
press it out and then add the alcohol?
Thanks for your help and input!

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"JCP" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'm trying to make a traditional style port by stopping the
> fermentation with the addition of alcohol.
> Does anyone know whether it is better to stop the fermentation while
> the must is still on the skins and let it sit a few days or should I
> press it out and then add the alcohol?
> Thanks for your help and input!

Pressing and then adding brandy is the traditional way of making commercial
Port. Getting enough flavor and color extraction is difficult using this
method but much less brandy is needed.
Extraction is not an issue when brandy is added and then the fermentation is
pressed a day or two later but more brandy is needed.
I have used both methods many times. I prefer to fortify and then press
because the winemakers has much better control of the process.
Lum
Del Mar, California, USA
www.geocities.com/lumeisenman

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

JCP-
I took the free run at about 14 brix then added about 30% brandy. I did
it this way because I was primarily making wine and wanted to try port.
If I were to just be making port, I would have probably tried adding
the brandy to the must. For every winery in Portugal, there is a
different method. You wont know what's best for you until you do it a
few years one way, than change.
marc

JCP wrote:
> I'm trying to make a traditional style port by stopping the
> fermentation with the addition of alcohol.
> Does anyone know whether it is better to stop the fermentation while
> the must is still on the skins and let it sit a few days or should I
> press it out and then add the alcohol?
> Thanks for your help and input!

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

JCP wrote:
> I'm trying to make a traditional style port by stopping the
> fermentation with the addition of alcohol.
> Does anyone know whether it is better to stop the fermentation while
> the must is still on the skins and let it sit a few days or should I
> press it out and then add the alcohol?
> Thanks for your help and input!

JCP,
Adding the brandy before pressing seems costly as you will dispose of a
certain volume of brandy with the cake. Depends on your source - the
cost of the brandy may not be very much for a small volume. We make
Port out of Norton/Cynthiana and there is no concern about color or
flavor extraction there. Norton is dark and inky by time the s.g. drops
to where we want it.

If time is needed slow down the fermintation by lowering the
temperature a little (easier said then done I recognize).

Good luck!

Making a Port spud Winemaking 14 09-01-2010 02:42 PM
making wine or port from raisined zinfandel Lee[_11_] Winemaking 1 30-03-2008 09:09 PM
Some questions about making port Franco Winemaking 8 13-08-2006 04:03 AM
Making port from a red wine kit Atrebla Winemaking 4 08-11-2005 09:15 PM
Making Port (again !) Mike R Winemaking 11 17-03-2004 01:44 PM