FoodBanter.com

-   Winemaking (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/)
-   -   Making port from a red wine kit (https://www.foodbanter.com/winemaking/73508-making-port-red-wine.html)

Atrebla 05-11-2005 04:13 AM

Making port from a red wine kit

I'm interested in making a "port" style wine from a red wine kit that is,
starting, for example, with a Temprillo kit and then stopping fermentation
with alcol\brandy. I thought I'd seen something like that on this forum but
can't find it now. Does anyone have a recipe\instructions?

Leslie Gadallah 06-11-2005 04:46 PM

Atrebla wrote:
> I'm interested in making a "port" style wine from a red wine kit that is,
> starting, for example, with a Temprillo kit and then stopping fermentation
> with alcol\brandy. I thought I'd seen something like that on this forum but
> can't find it now. Does anyone have a recipe\instructions?

Try GrapestoGlass.com They have an in-house recipe. (I'm
assuming from your email address that you're Alberta)

Les

CJ 07-11-2005 04:01 PM

Making port from a red wine kit

When using grapes, making port-style is essentially letting about half
of the sugar ferment, then topping up with spirit (for example Taylor's
uses a 77 or 78% grape spirit, but many home-winemakers use neutral
grain spirits) to bring the alcohol up to 20%.

I have no idea if it would work well using a kit, as they are generally
adjusted to be finished dry, but I imagine that if nothing else it
would be delicious and interesting ! What more can you ask for !

hap 08-11-2005 01:56 AM

Making port from a red wine kit

Do you have to stabalize or will the increased alcohol content stop the
fermentation?

Atrebla 08-11-2005 09:15 PM

Making port from a red wine kit

The traditional Portuguese method is to stop the fermentation by adding
alcohol (Brandy) and that's the method I want to try.

ups.com...