John Fouts

Default Peach Wine Help

I am currently making a 5-6 gallon batch of Peach Wine. I racked it for the
first time yesterday (3 weeks or so after being moved from the primary into
the carboy). The wine looks fine, it is starting to clear, more sediment is
dropping out, and all is well there -- BUT -- I am very concerned about the
flavor of this wine. I can hardly smell any peach aromas coming from the
wine. I have heard that Peach wine does not retain flavor well through the
fermentation process. Is this true? If this is the case, is there anything
that I can do at this point in time in the process to boost the flavor? Any
help, as always, would be greatly appreciated.

Dar V

Your wine is very young yet; I would give it time to clear and mature.
Darlene

"John Fouts" > wrote in message
>I am currently making a 5-6 gallon batch of Peach Wine. I racked it for
>the first time yesterday (3 weeks or so after being moved from the primary
>into the carboy). The wine looks fine, it is starting to clear, more
>sediment is dropping out, and all is well there -- BUT -- I am very
>concerned about the flavor of this wine. I can hardly smell any peach
>aromas coming from the wine. I have heard that Peach wine does not retain
>flavor well through the fermentation process. Is this true? If this is
>the case, is there anything that I can do at this point in time in the
>process to boost the flavor? Any help, as always, would be greatly
>appreciated.

A. J. Rawls

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:39:29 GMT, "John Fouts"
> wrote:

>I am currently making a 5-6 gallon batch of Peach Wine. I racked it for the
>first time yesterday (3 weeks or so after being moved from the primary into
>the carboy). The wine looks fine, it is starting to clear, more sediment is
>dropping out, and all is well there -- BUT -- I am very concerned about the
>flavor of this wine. I can hardly smell any peach aromas coming from the
>wine. I have heard that Peach wine does not retain flavor well through the
>fermentation process. Is this true? If this is the case, is there anything
>that I can do at this point in time in the process to boost the flavor? Any
>help, as always, would be greatly appreciated.

You can purchase Peach Flovoring from your Home Brew Shop... Just add
one bottle (2 oz) if it is Cellar Pro brand. Other brands may be
different.

Later,
A.J.
bobdrob

Our batch of peach wine had no peach flavor whatsoever. However, it matured
into a fine dry white with a delicate peach aroma. It also packs a punch
thanks to a little yeast encouragement. I say give it time to develop before
goosing it up w/ peach flavorings. We were in this position too, but by the
time we finished arguing about adding it, the resulting product was great
with out it & the flavoring is still unopened in the drawer.

"A. J. Rawls" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:39:29 GMT, "John Fouts"
> > wrote:
>
>>I am currently making a 5-6 gallon batch of Peach Wine. I racked it for
>>the
>>first time yesterday (3 weeks or so after being moved from the primary
>>into
>>the carboy). The wine looks fine, it is starting to clear, more sediment
>>is
>>dropping out, and all is well there -- BUT -- I am very concerned about
>>the
>>flavor of this wine. I can hardly smell any peach aromas coming from the
>>wine. I have heard that Peach wine does not retain flavor well through
>>the
>>fermentation process. Is this true? If this is the case, is there
>>anything
>>that I can do at this point in time in the process to boost the flavor?
>>Any
>>help, as always, would be greatly appreciated.
>>

> You can purchase Peach Flovoring from your Home Brew Shop... Just add
> one bottle (2 oz) if it is Cellar Pro brand. Other brands may be
> different.
>
> Later,
> A.J.

Marc

Hello

3 years ago I made a gallon of peach sherry found on Jack Keller's site and
almost threw it away because I too was very concerned about the flavor (not
only a lack of peach flavor but it also kind of smelled weird). But my wife
told me to kept it anyway and it's much better now. It bulk aged for a year
and it's been bottled for 2 years now.

Marc

"John Fouts" > a écrit dans le message de
> I am currently making a 5-6 gallon batch of Peach Wine. I racked it for

the
> first time yesterday (3 weeks or so after being moved from the primary

into
> the carboy). The wine looks fine, it is starting to clear, more sediment

is
> dropping out, and all is well there -- BUT -- I am very concerned about

the
> flavor of this wine. I can hardly smell any peach aromas coming from the
> wine. I have heard that Peach wine does not retain flavor well through

the
> fermentation process. Is this true? If this is the case, is there

anything
> that I can do at this point in time in the process to boost the flavor?

Any
> help, as always, would be greatly appreciated.

Bret

Easy Answer:

Peach wine doesn't taste like peaches, it tastes like peach wine.

Let it age and it will be a good light white wine with a hint of peach
nose.

-b

Ray Calvert

Grape wine does not taste are smell like grapes and most other fruit will
work the same way. Is it fairly dry? Sometimes if you add some sugar the
fruit character will come back out. We associate peaches with sweetness and
without some sweetness the peach is just not there.

I will not say that I have tried this but if you decide to sweeten it a bit
you might get some peachs packed in heavy sugar and use the juice from the
can so sweeten with. Do not try to press the peaches, us only the juice.
Do not do this and bottle right away, you will get floaters. You will need
to let it clear again.

Remember that if you are going to sweeten, you must stabilize the wine.
Either filter with a fine filter that is designed to remove yeast (very
expensive) or use sorbate.

Ray

"John Fouts" > wrote in message
>I am currently making a 5-6 gallon batch of Peach Wine. I racked it for
>the first time yesterday (3 weeks or so after being moved from the primary
>into the carboy). The wine looks fine, it is starting to clear, more
>sediment is dropping out, and all is well there -- BUT -- I am very
>concerned about the flavor of this wine. I can hardly smell any peach
>aromas coming from the wine. I have heard that Peach wine does not retain
>flavor well through the fermentation process. Is this true? If this is
>the case, is there anything that I can do at this point in time in the
>process to boost the flavor? Any help, as always, would be greatly
>appreciated.

i made 5gallons of peach back in early june from peaches i picked and
after it was done in the secondary it smelled bad and tasted bad. i
drank a glass tonight after botteling and it has improved greatly. best
regards,lucas

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Andie Z

Give peach wine a lot of time. Don't add flavor. If the wine is a little
sweet it will taste great after a year and a half. We made 30 gallons of
peach wine five years ago. It tasted awful for the first year. It is GREAT
now. it's almost gone and we want to make another batch in the next year or
so.

Peach Wine David J. Winemaking 7 07-01-2005 06:49 PM
Peach Wine David J. Winemaking 0 03-01-2005 08:52 PM
Aging Peach Wine and sweetening peach wine Robert Perkins Winemaking 3 11-11-2004 08:03 PM
Peach Wine spud Winemaking 19 24-08-2004 06:55 AM
peach wine Alex Brewer Winemaking 1 19-01-2004 10:39 PM