spud

Default Peach Wine

Hello, Hello:

Headed off to the u-pick for peaches tomorrow. Reading the archives
yielded some useful findings concerning peach wine. I have a whole
fistful of recipes, but am lacking one.

There are references to recipes that use brown sugar for peach wine,
evidently to help with the lack off body, but I haven't found an
actual recipe. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Also, for those that might have tried peach wine with the various
adjuncts, grape juice, raisins, bananas, brown sugar, etc., which do
you like the best.

Thanks!
Steve Vegos
STEPHEN PEEK

Try using honey instead of the sugar, it makes a very tasty wine.
Steve
"spud" > wrote in message
> Hello, Hello:
>
> Headed off to the u-pick for peaches tomorrow. Reading the archives
> yielded some useful findings concerning peach wine. I have a whole
> fistful of recipes, but am lacking one.
>
> There are references to recipes that use brown sugar for peach wine,
> evidently to help with the lack off body, but I haven't found an
> actual recipe. Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Also, for those that might have tried peach wine with the various
> adjuncts, grape juice, raisins, bananas, brown sugar, etc., which do
> you like the best.
>
> Thanks!
> Steve Vegos

STEPHEN PEEK

"spud" > wrote in message
> Hello, Hello:
>
> Headed off to the u-pick for peaches tomorrow. Reading the archives
> yielded some useful findings concerning peach wine. I have a whole
> fistful of recipes, but am lacking one.
>
> There are references to recipes that use brown sugar for peach wine,
> evidently to help with the lack off body, but I haven't found an
> actual recipe. Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Also, for those that might have tried peach wine with the various
> adjuncts, grape juice, raisins, bananas, brown sugar, etc., which do
> you like the best.
>
> Thanks!
> Steve Vegos

A. J. Rawls

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:05:49 -0700, spud >
wrote:

>Hello, Hello:
>
>Headed off to the u-pick for peaches tomorrow. Reading the archives
>yielded some useful findings concerning peach wine. I have a whole
>fistful of recipes, but am lacking one.
>
>There are references to recipes that use brown sugar for peach wine,
>evidently to help with the lack off body, but I haven't found an
>actual recipe. Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
>Also, for those that might have tried peach wine with the various
>adjuncts, grape juice, raisins, bananas, brown sugar, etc., which do
>you like the best.
>
>Thanks!
>Steve Vegos

I am not sure where I got these from:

PEACH WINE

* 15 LBS PEACHES
* 2 tsp citrus pectin
* 10 lbs WHITE SUGAR
* 4 LBS BROWN SUGAR
* YEAST

15 LBS PEACHES --- crush, cover with water, and let stand overnight.
Next day, stir and add 2 tsp citrus pectin (if you have it). Next day,
melt 10 lbs WHITE SUGAR AND 4 LBS BROWN SUGAR, then add yeast when
lukewarm. Add to peaches with enough water to make 5 gallons. Cover
and stir daily, skimming off foam and solids for 1 week. Cover and
protect from insects. Let stand 3 to 5 weeks before first siphoning.
When siphoning, do not siphon sludge from bottom of container. Repeat
stand and siphoning process until wine is clear. Bottle and enjoy.

Summer Evening Peach Wine
Recipe: Don
E-Mail Address:
AMOUNTS INGREDIENTS
15 lbs Peaches (very, very ripe)
10 lb. White sugar
5 lb. Dark brown sugar
5 tsp acid blend
1 1/4 teaspoon Grape tannin
3 3/4 tsp pectic enzyme powder
5 tsp yeast nutrient
1 1/2 cups Orange juice (for yeast starter)
1 pkg Yeast (LALVIN 71B-1122)
INSTRUCTIONS

* Wash the peaches, cut them in pieces, discard the stones and any
spoiled parts, and smash the pieces with your clean hands into the
primary fermenter.
* Add enough boiling water to cover. over and let stand overnight.
* Add the pectic enzyme in the morning and let stand another day.
* On the third day strain through cloth, such as muslin. Wring it
out well to get all the juice and discard the pulp.
* Boil enough water to dissolve the white and dark sugar. Let cool
and then add to primary fermenter.
* Add enough water to bring primary fermenter to slightly less
than 19 liters. Let it cool to 24oC.
* Prepare the yeast starter by placing the orange juice in a
suitable bottle with a cap.
* Place bottle in pan of water on stove and warm O.J. to
approximately 24oC.
* Add the yeast and the yeast nturient. Shake it to mix
everything, then loosen the cap (make sure the cap is loose!!!)
* When the starter is bubbling nicely -- in 1 to 3 hours, add it
to the peach liquid.
* When the fermentation slows, in 1 to 2 weeks, rack to carboy and
top up with water.
* Rack as necessary.
* Bottle when still and clear, SpG = 1.000.

COMMENTS

T'is the season when one might consider making peach wine. I usually
search the fruit stands for suitable peaches. You can often find a box
or two of peaches there that are so ripe that they must be sold that
day -- or be thrown away. You may have to ask for them. Those are the
ones to buy. They are not only cheaper, but they are fully ripe. Even
if there is some spoilage, buy them and cut out the spoiled areas.

This peach wine has always pleased my palate. Made with Lalvin
71B-1122 yeast it has a very peachy flavor. When made with other
yeasts the flavor is never as good -- in my opinion. Be choosy about
which yeast you use.

This wine has always completed its fermentation quickly and cleared
well. It will taste better if aged several months to a year, or more,
but if you like peaches -- well, try to keep some of it back anyway.

spud

Hello AJ Rawls:

Thank you kind sir. 100lbs. of peaches at the homestead, ~1/2 of
which must be shared with SWMBO.

Stopped by the gocery store for all of the adjuncts mentioned below
and will make 5 gallons of peach wine with raisins.

Then four additional gallons of peach wine. One gallon each with the
following adjuncts: white grape juice concentrate, brown sugar, honey
and bananas.

What do you call an 'adjunct' in country or fruit wine? Or is this
simply blasphemy in the wine making world and not worthy of a name?
:-)

Next year I hope someone asks, "which do you like better?". I should
be ready!

Thanks,
Steve Vegos

>On Sat, A. J. Rawls kindly responded to:

>spud's plea:

snip

>>There are references to recipes that use brown sugar for peach wine,
>>evidently to help with the lack off body, but I haven't found an
>>actual recipe. Any pointers would be appreciated.
>>
>>Also, for those that might have tried peach wine with the various
>>adjuncts, grape juice, raisins, bananas, brown sugar, etc., which do
>>you like the best.

with
>I am not sure where I got these from:
>
>PEACH WINE
>
> * 15 LBS PEACHES
> * 2 tsp citrus pectin
> * 10 lbs WHITE SUGAR
> * 4 LBS BROWN SUGAR
> * YEAST

snip AND this:
>Summer Evening Peach Wine
> Recipe: Don
> E-Mail Address:
> AMOUNTS INGREDIENTS
> 15 lbs Peaches (very, very ripe)
> 10 lb. White sugar
> 5 lb. Dark brown sugar
> 5 tsp acid blend
> 1 1/4 teaspoon Grape tannin
> 3 3/4 tsp pectic enzyme powder
> 5 tsp yeast nutrient
> 1 1/2 cups Orange juice (for yeast starter)
> 1 pkg Yeast (LALVIN 71B-1122)
> INSTRUCTIONS

spud

Hello AJ Rawls:

Thank you kind sir. 100lbs. of peaches at the homestead, ~1/2 of
which must be shared with SWMBO.

Stopped by the gocery store for all of the adjuncts mentioned below
and will make 5 gallons of peach wine with raisins.

Then four additional gallons of peach wine. One gallon each with the
following adjuncts: white grape juice concentrate, brown sugar, honey
and bananas.

What do you call an 'adjunct' in country or fruit wine? Or is this
simply blasphemy in the wine making world and not worthy of a name?
:-)

Next year I hope someone asks, "which do you like better?". I should
be ready!

Thanks,
Steve Vegos

>On Sat, A. J. Rawls kindly responded to:

>spud's plea:

snip

>>There are references to recipes that use brown sugar for peach wine,
>>evidently to help with the lack off body, but I haven't found an
>>actual recipe. Any pointers would be appreciated.
>>
>>Also, for those that might have tried peach wine with the various
>>adjuncts, grape juice, raisins, bananas, brown sugar, etc., which do
>>you like the best.

with
>I am not sure where I got these from:
>
>PEACH WINE
>
> * 15 LBS PEACHES
> * 2 tsp citrus pectin
> * 10 lbs WHITE SUGAR
> * 4 LBS BROWN SUGAR
> * YEAST

snip AND this:
>Summer Evening Peach Wine
> Recipe: Don
> E-Mail Address:
> AMOUNTS INGREDIENTS
> 15 lbs Peaches (very, very ripe)
> 10 lb. White sugar
> 5 lb. Dark brown sugar
> 5 tsp acid blend
> 1 1/4 teaspoon Grape tannin
> 3 3/4 tsp pectic enzyme powder
> 5 tsp yeast nutrient
> 1 1/2 cups Orange juice (for yeast starter)
> 1 pkg Yeast (LALVIN 71B-1122)
> INSTRUCTIONS

Tepe

I have made Peach wine last 2 years. I use 30 - 35 lbs for 6 gallons. I find
you get better body with this amount. Then add enough sugar to get the % you
want. 15 lbs sounds LIGHT for 6 gallons.
Note: what I do is slice, pit and peel peaches add 5 LBS of sugar with
campton tablets over night. then remove peaches and add water / sugar to 6 +
gallons and add yeast.

--

Home of the
MOON RIVER BREWERY

"spud" > wrote in message
> Hello, Hello:
>
> Headed off to the u-pick for peaches tomorrow. Reading the archives
> yielded some useful findings concerning peach wine. I have a whole
> fistful of recipes, but am lacking one.
>
> There are references to recipes that use brown sugar for peach wine,
> evidently to help with the lack off body, but I haven't found an
> actual recipe. Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Also, for those that might have tried peach wine with the various
> adjuncts, grape juice, raisins, bananas, brown sugar, etc., which do
> you like the best.
>
> Thanks!
> Steve Vegos

Tepe

"spud" > wrote in message
> Hello, Hello:
>
> Headed off to the u-pick for peaches tomorrow. Reading the archives
> yielded some useful findings concerning peach wine. I have a whole
> fistful of recipes, but am lacking one.
>
> There are references to recipes that use brown sugar for peach wine,
> evidently to help with the lack off body, but I haven't found an
> actual recipe. Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Also, for those that might have tried peach wine with the various
> adjuncts, grape juice, raisins, bananas, brown sugar, etc., which do
> you like the best.
>
> Thanks!
> Steve Vegos

spud

Tepe:

Thanks for the tips concerning quantity of fruit.

I am a noobie and have discovered I am prone to some typical noobie
mistakes. # 1 is to make the wine to high in alcohol, and #2 is to
scrimp on fruit to avoid adding to the cost if there is a failure.

For this 'trial' of peach wine I would rather err on the side of too
much fruit than not enough, so I intend to use 5lbs. of sweet, tree
ripened, just picked peaches per gallon of wine. Then add the other
ingredients and the various adjuncts for body to each gallon as a
trial for future peach wine efforts.

I made a carboy of cranberry wine using too little fruit and made it
too high in alcohol. While it is palatable, I don't think peach wine
would be as forgiving of these particular transgressions.

Thanks
Steve Vegos

>"Tepe" from > thoughtlfully suggested the following:

>I have made Peach wine last 2 years. I use 30 - 35 lbs for 6 gallons. I find
>you get better body with this amount. Then add enough sugar to get the % you
>want. 15 lbs sounds LIGHT for 6 gallons.
>Note: what I do is slice, pit and peel peaches add 5 LBS of sugar with
>campton tablets over night. then remove peaches and add water / sugar to 6 +
>gallons and add yeast.

spud

Tepe:

Thanks for the tips concerning quantity of fruit.

I am a noobie and have discovered I am prone to some typical noobie
mistakes. # 1 is to make the wine to high in alcohol, and #2 is to
scrimp on fruit to avoid adding to the cost if there is a failure.

For this 'trial' of peach wine I would rather err on the side of too
much fruit than not enough, so I intend to use 5lbs. of sweet, tree
ripened, just picked peaches per gallon of wine. Then add the other
ingredients and the various adjuncts for body to each gallon as a
trial for future peach wine efforts.

I made a carboy of cranberry wine using too little fruit and made it
too high in alcohol. While it is palatable, I don't think peach wine
would be as forgiving of these particular transgressions.

Thanks
Steve Vegos

>"Tepe" from > thoughtlfully suggested the following:

>I have made Peach wine last 2 years. I use 30 - 35 lbs for 6 gallons. I find
>you get better body with this amount. Then add enough sugar to get the % you
>want. 15 lbs sounds LIGHT for 6 gallons.
>Note: what I do is slice, pit and peel peaches add 5 LBS of sugar with
>campton tablets over night. then remove peaches and add water / sugar to 6 +
>gallons and add yeast.

Tepe

As a rule I use 5 - 6 lbs of fresh fruit per gallon. I have used this with
Peaches, Strawberry, Blackberry and Blueberry. I did make a Cranberry wine
but since Cranberries are bitter and less moisture I used 35 lbs. If you use
more fresh fruit I feel you get a better body. Also, less sugar to be added.
I generally add enough sugar to make 13 - 14 % in my wine.
Currently I have fermenting:
6 gallons of Strawberry
12 gallons of blueberry
6 gallon Blackberry
Soon to make 6 gallon Peach
In 2 + weeks the wine juice will be ready and plan on making 30 + more
gallons.
Tom

--

Home of the
MOON RIVER BREWERY

"spud" > wrote in message
> Tepe:
>
> Thanks for the tips concerning quantity of fruit.
>
> I am a noobie and have discovered I am prone to some typical noobie
> mistakes. # 1 is to make the wine to high in alcohol, and #2 is to
> scrimp on fruit to avoid adding to the cost if there is a failure.
>
> For this 'trial' of peach wine I would rather err on the side of too
> much fruit than not enough, so I intend to use 5lbs. of sweet, tree
> ripened, just picked peaches per gallon of wine. Then add the other
> ingredients and the various adjuncts for body to each gallon as a
> trial for future peach wine efforts.
>
> I made a carboy of cranberry wine using too little fruit and made it
> too high in alcohol. While it is palatable, I don't think peach wine
> would be as forgiving of these particular transgressions.
>
> Thanks
> Steve Vegos
>
> >"Tepe" from > thoughtlfully suggested the

following:

> >I have made Peach wine last 2 years. I use 30 - 35 lbs for 6 gallons. I

find
> >you get better body with this amount. Then add enough sugar to get the %

you
> >want. 15 lbs sounds LIGHT for 6 gallons.
> >Note: what I do is slice, pit and peel peaches add 5 LBS of sugar with
> >campton tablets over night. then remove peaches and add water / sugar to

6 +
> >gallons and add yeast.

Tepe

"spud" > wrote in message
> Tepe:
>
> Thanks for the tips concerning quantity of fruit.
>
> I am a noobie and have discovered I am prone to some typical noobie
> mistakes. # 1 is to make the wine to high in alcohol, and #2 is to
> scrimp on fruit to avoid adding to the cost if there is a failure.
>
> For this 'trial' of peach wine I would rather err on the side of too
> much fruit than not enough, so I intend to use 5lbs. of sweet, tree
> ripened, just picked peaches per gallon of wine. Then add the other
> ingredients and the various adjuncts for body to each gallon as a
> trial for future peach wine efforts.
>
> I made a carboy of cranberry wine using too little fruit and made it
> too high in alcohol. While it is palatable, I don't think peach wine
> would be as forgiving of these particular transgressions.
>
> Thanks
> Steve Vegos
>
> >"Tepe" from > thoughtlfully suggested the

following:

> >I have made Peach wine last 2 years. I use 30 - 35 lbs for 6 gallons. I

find
> >you get better body with this amount. Then add enough sugar to get the %

you
> >want. 15 lbs sounds LIGHT for 6 gallons.
> >Note: what I do is slice, pit and peel peaches add 5 LBS of sugar with
> >campton tablets over night. then remove peaches and add water / sugar to

6 +
> >gallons and add yeast.

Ken Vale

STEPHEN PEEK wrote:
> Try using honey instead of the sugar, it makes a very tasty wine.
> Steve

*nitpick* Using Honey instead of Sugar makes it a Mead (in particuliar
a Melomel), not a wine. *nitpick*
Ken
Ken Vale

STEPHEN PEEK wrote:
> Try using honey instead of the sugar, it makes a very tasty wine.
> Steve

*nitpick* Using Honey instead of Sugar makes it a Mead (in particuliar
a Melomel), not a wine. *nitpick*
Ken
spud

All right. Next Labor Day we have have a taste test of 5 different
Peach Wines. Hopefully one will be good!!!

In the primaries a
5 gal. using 25lbs of peaches and 5 lbs of raisins .
This recipe seemed the 'safest' so it got the bulk of the peaches and
destined for a carboy instead of a jug.

Then:
1 gal. using 5lbs. of peaches and 1 can of grape juice conc.
1 gal. using 5lbs. of peaches and 1lb. of honey.
1 gal. using 5lbs. of peaches and 1lb. of brown sugar.
1 gal. using 5lbs. of peaches and 1lb. of bananas.

The peaches were pitted, bruises removed, the peels remained on the
fruit. Weight was after fruit was cleaned and cut. Peaches are in
strainer bags, crushed by hand in the primary. Grapes were minced in
a food processor. Juice from one small lemon added for each gallon of
must.

TA of the 5 gallon batch is .65% so the gallons will be adjusted to
that level in the morning if needed with acid blend. The S.G. of the 5
gallon batch is 1.095 so the gallons will be brought up to that as
well in the am. Yeast: Cote des Blanc.

Looking forward to Labor Day next year. Should be interesting.

Steve V.
Oregon

Ray

If you are still interested you will find the recipe for Peach wine with
brown sugar in any of C.J.J. Berry's books. He rates it very highly and,
consequently, gives very complete instructions for making it. Look under
Peach Perfection.

Ray

"spud" > wrote in message
> Hello, Hello:
>
> Headed off to the u-pick for peaches tomorrow. Reading the archives
> yielded some useful findings concerning peach wine. I have a whole
> fistful of recipes, but am lacking one.
>
> There are references to recipes that use brown sugar for peach wine,
> evidently to help with the lack off body, but I haven't found an
> actual recipe. Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Also, for those that might have tried peach wine with the various
> adjuncts, grape juice, raisins, bananas, brown sugar, etc., which do
> you like the best.
>
> Thanks!
> Steve Vegos

Ray

"spud" > wrote in message
> Hello, Hello:
>
> Headed off to the u-pick for peaches tomorrow. Reading the archives
> yielded some useful findings concerning peach wine. I have a whole
> fistful of recipes, but am lacking one.
>
> There are references to recipes that use brown sugar for peach wine,
> evidently to help with the lack off body, but I haven't found an
> actual recipe. Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Also, for those that might have tried peach wine with the various
> adjuncts, grape juice, raisins, bananas, brown sugar, etc., which do
> you like the best.
>
> Thanks!
> Steve Vegos

spud

Hello Ray:

Thanks Ray, but the peach attempts are all bumping their respective
airlocks in various secondaries. One gallon does contain brown sugar,
but whether it is 'perfection' will be a mystery 'til next labor day.

Steve
Oregon

"Ray" wrote the following
>If you are still interested you will find the recipe for Peach wine with
>brown sugar in any of C.J.J. Berry's books. He rates it very highly and,
>consequently, gives very complete instructions for making it. Look under
>Peach Perfection.
>
>Ray

>>spud's query
>> There are references to recipes that use brown sugar for peach wine,
>> evidently to help with the lack off body, but I haven't found an
>> actual recipe. Any pointers would be appreciated.
>>
>> Also, for those that might have tried peach wine with the various
>> adjuncts, grape juice, raisins, bananas, brown sugar, etc., which do
>> you like the best.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Steve

spud

Peach Wine Help John Fouts Winemaking 8 11-11-2005 02:17 AM
Peach Wine David J. Winemaking 7 07-01-2005 05:49 PM
Peach Wine David J. Winemaking 0 03-01-2005 07:52 PM
Aging Peach Wine and sweetening peach wine Robert Perkins Winemaking 3 11-11-2004 07:03 PM
peach wine Alex Brewer Winemaking 1 19-01-2004 09:39 PM