DAve Allison

Default Racking cane - what is it?

Hi, all! I am making my first wine kit. About 8 days away from bottling
step (if all goes well)...

Can anyone reply with a link or information on what I am to do with a
"racking cane"? I got it in the kit, and see it mentioned from time to
time, but no where in the instructions or any site I can find, explains
what I am to do with it.

It doesn't fit into the end of my hose, so I'm just lost. :*)

Any help would be great. thanks, DAve
Droopy

Is the hose too big?

Basically the end with the black cap you put into the wine. The other
end you attach to a hose. You start a suction (I do this by havingthe
cane filled with sulfited water) and then use it to suction the wine
out of the carboy/bucket. It is gentle to the wine in that it does not
aerate it too much.

In addition, if you were sent a bottling wand (if not I would get one)
that will allow you to control the flow of wine intothe bottles easily.
It is a piece of hard plastic tubing with a little valve inthe bottom.
Attach it to the other end of the hose opposite of the racking cane.
When the valve hits the bottom of teh bottle it opens up and lets the
wine flow into the bottles.

DAve Allison

Ah. Once you told me how it worked, I got the hose in and now it makes
perfect sense. Even now the funny other gizmo I figured out. It goes on
the other end of the hose and into each bottle and as long as you press,
it fills. when you pick up, it stops. Wow! Isn't this stuff cool! Can't
wait for my first batch to be bottled now! Should be next Saturday.

thanks!
DAve

Droopy wrote:
> Is the hose too big?
>
> Basically the end with the black cap you put into the wine. The other
> end you attach to a hose. You start a suction (I do this by havingthe
> cane filled with sulfited water) and then use it to suction the wine
> out of the carboy/bucket. It is gentle to the wine in that it does not
> aerate it too much.
>
> In addition, if you were sent a bottling wand (if not I would get one)
> that will allow you to control the flow of wine intothe bottles easily.
> It is a piece of hard plastic tubing with a little valve inthe bottom.
> Attach it to the other end of the hose opposite of the racking cane.
> When the valve hits the bottom of teh bottle it opens up and lets the
> wine flow into the bottles.

Ray Calvert

"DAve Allison" > wrote in message
. ..
> Ah. Once you told me how it worked, I got the hose in and now it makes
> perfect sense. Even now the funny other gizmo I figured out. It goes on
> the other end of the hose and into each bottle and as long as you press,
> it fills. when you pick up, it stops. Wow! Isn't this stuff cool! Can't
> wait for my first batch to be bottled now! Should be next Saturday.
>
> thanks!
> DAve

Another net gizmo that goes with all this is a racking cane clip. It snaps
on the side of the racking cane so you can clip it to the mouth of the
carboy as you rack so the cane does not flop around and stir up the sediment
while you are racking. You can still slide the cane up and down in the
carboy but it is held steady. Costs less than $2 and can prevent a lot of
aggravation. Something you should have.

Ray

Cane Syrup Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 20 02-04-2013 11:40 PM
Y&R Cane's Note Terry Pulliam Burd[_5_] General Cooking 4 05-03-2011 02:09 AM
racking cane, siphon, bottle filler Tater Winemaking 3 19-03-2007 04:22 PM
Sugar Cane April W. Barbecue 40 30-08-2004 06:24 PM
sugar cane Mediadrome Mexican Cooking 2 08-12-2003 07:15 PM