April W.

Default Sugar Cane

I am located in Northern California and I was wondering if any one knew
where I can get some sugar cane? It is great for smoking pork, but I do not
know how to get my hands on some.

Duwop

April W. wrote:
> I am located in Northern California and I was wondering if any one
> knew where I can get some sugar cane? It is great for smoking pork,
> but I do not know how to get my hands on some.

San Jose Flea Market. Don't know if it's currently carried though. Is it
seasonal?

Duwop

April W. wrote:
> I am located in Northern California and I was wondering if any one
> knew where I can get some sugar cane? It is great for smoking pork,
> but I do not know how to get my hands on some.

San Jose Flea Market. Don't know if it's currently carried though. Is it
seasonal?

Dana Myers

Duwop wrote:
> April W. wrote:
>
>>I am located in Northern California and I was wondering if any one
>>knew where I can get some sugar cane? It is great for smoking pork,
>>but I do not know how to get my hands on some.

> San Jose Flea Market. Don't know if it's currently carried though. Is it
> seasonal?

Technically, no, sugar cane is basically a thick grass that will grow
year-round in tropical/sub-tropical climates. So it depends on where
you get it from. I dunno where we get it from here in the SFBA;
if it is from the South, then it's a late summer/fall crop, if it's
from Hawaii, then it is year-round. Most of the cane is converted
to syrup before it comes to the mainland for processing, though.

This, BTW, is one of the benefits of a two-week stay on Maui
two years ago; the Sugar Cane Museum was cooler than I expected.

Dana
Dana Myers

Duwop wrote:
> April W. wrote:
>
>>I am located in Northern California and I was wondering if any one
>>knew where I can get some sugar cane? It is great for smoking pork,
>>but I do not know how to get my hands on some.

> San Jose Flea Market. Don't know if it's currently carried though. Is it
> seasonal?

Technically, no, sugar cane is basically a thick grass that will grow
year-round in tropical/sub-tropical climates. So it depends on where
you get it from. I dunno where we get it from here in the SFBA;
if it is from the South, then it's a late summer/fall crop, if it's
from Hawaii, then it is year-round. Most of the cane is converted
to syrup before it comes to the mainland for processing, though.

This, BTW, is one of the benefits of a two-week stay on Maui
two years ago; the Sugar Cane Museum was cooler than I expected.

Dana

Joe Rizzo

"April W." > wrote in message
> I am located in Northern California and I was wondering if any one knew
> where I can get some sugar cane? It is great for smoking pork, but I do

not
> know how to get my hands on some.

When I used to live in FL, they sold sugar cane stalks in the grocery store.
Do not know if they will ship them out. Try visiting this web site:
www.floridacrystals.com

Joe

Joe Rizzo

"April W." > wrote in message
> I am located in Northern California and I was wondering if any one knew
> where I can get some sugar cane? It is great for smoking pork, but I do

not
> know how to get my hands on some.

When I used to live in FL, they sold sugar cane stalks in the grocery store.
Do not know if they will ship them out. Try visiting this web site:
www.floridacrystals.com

Joe

Duwop

Dana Myers wrote:
> This, BTW, is one of the benefits of a two-week stay on Maui
> two years ago; the Sugar Cane Museum was cooler than I expected.
>
> Dana

Been waiting long to share? <BG>
Dig those specialized little museums, they can be great. Good info, thanks.

Duwop

Dana Myers wrote:
> This, BTW, is one of the benefits of a two-week stay on Maui
> two years ago; the Sugar Cane Museum was cooler than I expected.
>
> Dana

Been waiting long to share? <BG>
Dig those specialized little museums, they can be great. Good info, thanks.

Dana Myers

Duwop wrote:

> Been waiting long to share? <BG>
> Dig those specialized little museums, they can be great. Good info, thanks.

You're welcome. Now *I'm* curious where we get sugar cane from
in the SFBA ;-) I suspect there's some in Mexico/Central America...

Dana

Dana Myers

Duwop wrote:

> Been waiting long to share? <BG>
> Dig those specialized little museums, they can be great. Good info, thanks.

You're welcome. Now *I'm* curious where we get sugar cane from
in the SFBA ;-) I suspect there's some in Mexico/Central America...

Dana
Dawhey

Asian markets in Houston have it. It is used to make sugar cane juice
by people from southeast Asia. You have got plenty Asian markets to
try in the Bay Area.

Dawhey

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 02:06:58 GMT, "April W."
> wrote:

>I am located in Northern California and I was wondering if any one knew
>where I can get some sugar cane? It is great for smoking pork, but I do not
>know how to get my hands on some.

Dawhey

Asian markets in Houston have it. It is used to make sugar cane juice
by people from southeast Asia. You have got plenty Asian markets to
try in the Bay Area.

Dawhey

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 02:06:58 GMT, "April W."
> wrote:

>I am located in Northern California and I was wondering if any one knew
>where I can get some sugar cane? It is great for smoking pork, but I do not
>know how to get my hands on some.

Mrs. Fat ManŽ

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
. ..
> Duwop wrote:
> > April W. wrote:
> >
> >>I am located in Northern California and I was wondering if any one
> >>knew where I can get some sugar cane? It is great for smoking pork,
> >>but I do not know how to get my hands on some.

> > San Jose Flea Market. Don't know if it's currently carried though. Is it
> > seasonal?

> Technically, no, sugar cane is basically a thick grass that will grow
> year-round in tropical/sub-tropical climates. So it depends on where
> you get it from. I dunno where we get it from here in the SFBA;
> if it is from the South, then it's a late summer/fall crop, if it's
> from Hawaii, then it is year-round. Most of the cane is converted
> to syrup before it comes to the mainland for processing, though.
>
> This, BTW, is one of the benefits of a two-week stay on Maui
> two years ago; the Sugar Cane Museum was cooler than I expected.
>
> Dana

I can get you a free tour of the actual plant, if anyone wants.

kili

Mrs. Fat ManŽ

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
. ..
> Duwop wrote:
> > April W. wrote:
> >
> >>I am located in Northern California and I was wondering if any one
> >>knew where I can get some sugar cane? It is great for smoking pork,
> >>but I do not know how to get my hands on some.

> > San Jose Flea Market. Don't know if it's currently carried though. Is it
> > seasonal?

> Technically, no, sugar cane is basically a thick grass that will grow
> year-round in tropical/sub-tropical climates. So it depends on where
> you get it from. I dunno where we get it from here in the SFBA;
> if it is from the South, then it's a late summer/fall crop, if it's
> from Hawaii, then it is year-round. Most of the cane is converted
> to syrup before it comes to the mainland for processing, though.
>
> This, BTW, is one of the benefits of a two-week stay on Maui
> two years ago; the Sugar Cane Museum was cooler than I expected.
>
> Dana

I can get you a free tour of the actual plant, if anyone wants.

kili

Dana Myers

Mrs. Fat ManŽ wrote:

>>This, BTW, is one of the benefits of a two-week stay on Maui
>>two years ago; the Sugar Cane Museum was cooler than I expected.
>>
>>Dana

> I can get you a free tour of the actual plant, if anyone wants.
>
> kili

Where were you two years ago?!?! ;-)

Next time, we'll make sure to visit...

Dana
Dana Myers

Mrs. Fat ManŽ wrote:

>>This, BTW, is one of the benefits of a two-week stay on Maui
>>two years ago; the Sugar Cane Museum was cooler than I expected.
>>
>>Dana

> I can get you a free tour of the actual plant, if anyone wants.
>
> kili

Where were you two years ago?!?! ;-)

Next time, we'll make sure to visit...

Dana
Mrs. Fat ManŽ

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
m...
> Mrs. Fat ManŽ wrote:
>
> >>This, BTW, is one of the benefits of a two-week stay on Maui
> >>two years ago; the Sugar Cane Museum was cooler than I expected.
> >>
> >>Dana

> > I can get you a free tour of the actual plant, if anyone wants.
> >
> > kili

> Where were you two years ago?!?! ;-)
>
> Next time, we'll make sure to visit...
>
> Dana

I was here, Dana. LOL. My buddy (my hanai big bro) is the head of the IT
department of HC & S. You can come check out how it's done anytime.

kili

Mrs. Fat ManŽ

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
m...
> Mrs. Fat ManŽ wrote:
>
> >>This, BTW, is one of the benefits of a two-week stay on Maui
> >>two years ago; the Sugar Cane Museum was cooler than I expected.
> >>
> >>Dana

> > I can get you a free tour of the actual plant, if anyone wants.
> >
> > kili

> Where were you two years ago?!?! ;-)
>
> Next time, we'll make sure to visit...
>
> Dana

I was here, Dana. LOL. My buddy (my hanai big bro) is the head of the IT
department of HC & S. You can come check out how it's done anytime.

kili

Joe Rizzo

Actually FLorida is the largest producer of sugar in the USA. Sugarcane
looks like big bamboo stalks. They make molasses out of it as well as
sugar.

Some pet shops carry it also. Seems that it is a staple for rabbits.

Joe

Dana Myers

Mrs. Fat ManŽ wrote:
> "Dana Myers" > wrote in message
> m...

>>>I can get you a free tour of the actual plant, if anyone wants.

>>Where were you two years ago?!?! ;-)
>>
>>Next time, we'll make sure to visit...

> I was here, Dana. LOL. My buddy (my hanai big bro) is the head of the IT
> department of HC & S. You can come check out how it's done anytime.

Well, darn, too bad we hadn't met up yet. I'm tickled to
see that Jane has been watching Dave's Q joint take shape and
had to come here to find out what it is.

We'll be back to Maui, I'm certain. Don't know when, but I
know we will. Last time, I had 250k United miles so the airfare
wasn't a problem... I haven't been flying nearly as much,
though.

:-)

Dana
Dana Myers

Mrs. Fat ManŽ wrote:
> "Dana Myers" > wrote in message
> m...

>>>I can get you a free tour of the actual plant, if anyone wants.

>>Where were you two years ago?!?! ;-)
>>
>>Next time, we'll make sure to visit...

> I was here, Dana. LOL. My buddy (my hanai big bro) is the head of the IT
> department of HC & S. You can come check out how it's done anytime.

Well, darn, too bad we hadn't met up yet. I'm tickled to
see that Jane has been watching Dave's Q joint take shape and
had to come here to find out what it is.

We'll be back to Maui, I'm certain. Don't know when, but I
know we will. Last time, I had 250k United miles so the airfare
wasn't a problem... I haven't been flying nearly as much,
though.

:-)

Dana
Mrs. Fat ManŽ

"Joe Rizzo" > wrote in message
> Actually FLorida is the largest producer of sugar in the USA. Sugarcane
> looks like big bamboo stalks. They make molasses out of it as well as
> sugar.
>
> Some pet shops carry it also. Seems that it is a staple for rabbits.
>

> Joe

Sorry, does NOT look like bamboo. Apparently you've never walked through a
bamboo forest. Come to Hawaii, I'll show you.

kili

Mrs. Fat ManŽ

"Joe Rizzo" > wrote in message
> Actually FLorida is the largest producer of sugar in the USA. Sugarcane
> looks like big bamboo stalks. They make molasses out of it as well as
> sugar.
>
> Some pet shops carry it also. Seems that it is a staple for rabbits.
>

> Joe

Sorry, does NOT look like bamboo. Apparently you've never walked through a
bamboo forest. Come to Hawaii, I'll show you.

kili

Mrs. Fat ManŽ

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
m...
> Mrs. Fat ManŽ wrote:
> > "Dana Myers" > wrote in message
> > m...

> >>Where were you two years ago?!?! ;-)
> >>
> >>Next time, we'll make sure to visit...

> > I was here, Dana. LOL. My buddy (my hanai big bro) is the head of the

IT
> > department of HC & S. You can come check out how it's done anytime.

> Well, darn, too bad we hadn't met up yet. I'm tickled to
> see that Jane has been watching Dave's Q joint take shape and
> had to come here to find out what it is.
>
> We'll be back to Maui, I'm certain. Don't know when, but I
> know we will. Last time, I had 250k United miles so the airfare
> wasn't a problem... I haven't been flying nearly as much,
> though.
>
> :-)
>
> Dana

Dana, anytime you want to come out, I'll be here. I don't plan on going
anywhere soon. (Sorry TFM).

kili

Mrs. Fat ManŽ

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
m...
> Mrs. Fat ManŽ wrote:
> > "Dana Myers" > wrote in message
> > m...

> >>Where were you two years ago?!?! ;-)
> >>
> >>Next time, we'll make sure to visit...

> > I was here, Dana. LOL. My buddy (my hanai big bro) is the head of the

IT
> > department of HC & S. You can come check out how it's done anytime.

> Well, darn, too bad we hadn't met up yet. I'm tickled to
> see that Jane has been watching Dave's Q joint take shape and
> had to come here to find out what it is.
>
> We'll be back to Maui, I'm certain. Don't know when, but I
> know we will. Last time, I had 250k United miles so the airfare
> wasn't a problem... I haven't been flying nearly as much,
> though.
>
> :-)
>
> Dana

Dana, anytime you want to come out, I'll be here. I don't plan on going
anywhere soon. (Sorry TFM).

kili

Joe Rizzo

Never seen bamboo in person. Only photos and some of those small bamboo
plants that are about 2ft high. They sell them at fleas markets.
But for the sugar cane, they may not look like bamboo to anyone else but me,
but they are stalks. And in FL, they are extremely abundant.

"Mrs. Fat ManŽ" > wrote in message

> "Joe Rizzo" > wrote in message
> > Actually FLorida is the largest producer of sugar in the USA. Sugarcane
> > looks like big bamboo stalks. They make molasses out of it as well as
> > sugar.
> >
> > Some pet shops carry it also. Seems that it is a staple for rabbits.
> >

> > Joe
> >

> Sorry, does NOT look like bamboo. Apparently you've never walked through

> bamboo forest. Come to Hawaii, I'll show you.
>
> kili

Louis Cohen

Try Latin markets - I'm pretty sure the big ones in the Mission (SF) carry
it.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"April W." > wrote in message
> I am located in Northern California and I was wondering if any one knew
> where I can get some sugar cane? It is great for smoking pork, but I do

not
> know how to get my hands on some.

Wayne

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in
:

> Try Latin markets - I'm pretty sure the big ones in the Mission (SF)
> carry it.

Our local Albertson's and Safeway carry it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Dana Myers

Mrs. Fat ManŽ wrote:

>>Dana

> Dana, anytime you want to come out, I'll be here. I don't plan on going
> anywhere soon. (Sorry TFM).

You do live in an amazing place; we'll be back again.

;-)

Dana

Dana Myers

Mrs. Fat ManŽ wrote:

>>Dana

> Dana, anytime you want to come out, I'll be here. I don't plan on going
> anywhere soon. (Sorry TFM).

You do live in an amazing place; we'll be back again.

;-)

Dana

Mrs. Fat ManŽ

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
m...
> Mrs. Fat ManŽ wrote:
>
> >>Dana

> > Dana, anytime you want to come out, I'll be here. I don't plan on

going
> > anywhere soon. (Sorry TFM).

> You do live in an amazing place; we'll be back again.
>
> ;-)
>
> Dana

I'm here, I'll give you a tour anytime.

kili

bk

I would agree that a latin market would be first start. I live in Miami and
often ssugar cane in latin bodegas and juice stands. Never considered using
it for smoke.

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> Try Latin markets - I'm pretty sure the big ones in the Mission (SF) carry
> it.

> ----
> Louis Cohen
> Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"
>

> "April W." > wrote in message
> > I am located in Northern California and I was wondering if any one knew
> > where I can get some sugar cane? It is great for smoking pork, but I do

> not
> > know how to get my hands on some.

Banjo

"April W." > wrote in message
> I am located in Northern California and I was wondering if any one knew
> where I can get some sugar cane? It is great for smoking pork, but I do

not
> know how to get my hands on some.

You use it how? As the wood? Or as a seasoning?

Dying to try it!

-Banjo

Tyler Hopper

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
. ..
> Duwop wrote:
>
> This, BTW, is one of the benefits of a two-week stay on Maui
> two years ago; the Sugar Cane Museum was cooler than I expected.

Ain't that place hip? One of the best finds we made there.

Tyler Hopper

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
. ..
> Duwop wrote:
>
> This, BTW, is one of the benefits of a two-week stay on Maui
> two years ago; the Sugar Cane Museum was cooler than I expected.

Ain't that place hip? One of the best finds we made there.

Dana Myers

Tyler Hopper wrote:
> "Dana Myers" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>This, BTW, is one of the benefits of a two-week stay on Maui
>>two years ago; the Sugar Cane Museum was cooler than I expected.

> Ain't that place hip? One of the best finds we made there.

It contains a remarkable amount of history in a very
compact place. The photos and maps of early 20th century
sugar cane plantations and descriptions of life there was
fascinating.

It is pretty darn cool.

Dana
Dana Myers

Tyler Hopper wrote:
> "Dana Myers" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>This, BTW, is one of the benefits of a two-week stay on Maui
>>two years ago; the Sugar Cane Museum was cooler than I expected.

> Ain't that place hip? One of the best finds we made there.

It contains a remarkable amount of history in a very
compact place. The photos and maps of early 20th century
sugar cane plantations and descriptions of life there was
fascinating.

It is pretty darn cool.

Dana
Tyler Hopper

"Dana Myers" > wrote in message
om...
> Tyler Hopper wrote:
> > "Dana Myers" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> >
> >>This, BTW, is one of the benefits of a two-week stay on Maui
> >>two years ago; the Sugar Cane Museum was cooler than I expected.

> > Ain't that place hip? One of the best finds we made there.

> It contains a remarkable amount of history in a very
> compact place. The photos and maps of early 20th century
> sugar cane plantations and descriptions of life there was
> fascinating.
>
> It is pretty darn cool.
>
> Dana

I learned more about the immigrant population there than anyplace. For example,
I had no clue there was a huge Portuguese population at one time.