codie

Default Creating a wine recipe

Im a new member to this forum and to wine making as well. Im wanting to
create a gallon of wine with potatoes and carrots. Anyone know how to
create a recipe using these ingredients for a gallon of wine (I.e.
amount of acid blend, tannin, pectic enzyme)

Also is there a web site that may give ideas on how to create a recipe
from various ingredients?

Ken Vale

codie wrote:
> Im a new member to this forum and to wine making as well. Im wanting to
> create a gallon of wine with potatoes and carrots.

Ok you will likely have to do some interesting steps to use the potatoes
as they have starch and not sugar in them, you must convert the starch
to sugar first, I have no idea what you would use to do this. Remember
that fermentation will change the flavors of stuff used.

> Anyone know how to
> create a recipe using these ingredients for a gallon of wine (I.e.
> amount of acid blend, tannin, pectic enzyme)

Most additives have a recommended amount which whould be added per
galon, as different manufactures use different ingrediants for the
additives they will vary, check the amount listed on the container. To
determine the amount of acid you will have to add or subtract you will
need to buy an acid test kit and take readings.

> Also is there a web site that may give ideas on how to create a recipe
> from various ingredients?

You can try Jack Kellers website
(http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp).
Ken
Desertphile, American Patriot

On 20 Feb 2005 08:04:30 -0800, "codie" >
wrote:

> Im a new member to this forum and to wine making as well. Im wanting to
> create a gallon of wine with potatoes and carrots. Anyone know how to
> create a recipe using these ingredients for a gallon of wine (I.e.
> amount of acid blend, tannin, pectic enzyme)
>
> Also is there a web site that may give ideas on how to create a recipe
> from various ingredients?

As Ken Vale wrote, the potatos are loaded with starch.

From Leon W. Kania:

2 pounds potatoes
2.5 pounds sugar
1 pound raisins
4 oranges
1 teaspoon tea
1 package of yeast
1 gallon of water

Peel, pare, and grate the potatoes and boil the result in a gallon
of water. Once the grated potatoes have been well-boiled, pour
only the water into your primary fermentation vessel and add 2.5
pounds of sugar and a pound of raisisn. Mix well. Let the mixture
cool, then add the other ingrediants.

The raisins will probably give enough tannin, but then I've never
brewed a pot of ANYTHING, so what the hell do I know?

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"Indolence and melancholy: Each generates the other. If one can speak
of such feeble passions as generating anything." -- Edward Abbey
Dar V

I guess I would look at a strictly potato wine recipe and a carrot recipe;
see what ingredients are the same and which are not. Also read through the
directions on how to make each recipe too. If a 1 gallon recipe of potato
wine calls for 5 lbs, I might use 3 lbs, because you're combining it with
carrots. If they both use 1 tsp yeast nutrient, then I would use 1 tsp yeast
nutrient for a 1 gallon recipe. If one calls for 2 tsp pectic enzyme and the
other 3 tsp pectic enzyme, then I would go with maybe 2 1/2 tsp pectic
enzyme. If one recipe calls for tannin and the other doesn't, I would add
some but not as much as the recipe calls for. On the other hand, you could
just make a 1 gallon of batch of potato wine and another batch of carrot
wine, and then combine them later on....
Darlene
Wisconsin

"codie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Im a new member to this forum and to wine making as well. Im wanting to
> create a gallon of wine with potatoes and carrots. Anyone know how to
> create a recipe using these ingredients for a gallon of wine (I.e.
> amount of acid blend, tannin, pectic enzyme)
>
> Also is there a web site that may give ideas on how to create a recipe
> from various ingredients?

Creating a Baking Recipe Michael Ohene Baking 2 07-02-2012 09:18 AM
Creating your own cookbook Jinx Minx General Cooking 45 26-04-2010 04:28 AM
Newby to creating a wine list Steve Flanagan Wine 14 14-04-2005 08:40 AM
Creating your own blends Rob Tea 5 23-02-2005 04:48 AM
Creating brett SRC Winemaking 13 07-01-2004 09:24 AM