Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Creating your own cookbook

I'm on this committe that wants to put together a cookbook that it can sell
for a small profit. Has anyone here does this before that can offer up
advice how best to go about it? Places we can get it printed inexpensively
but aren't cheaply made, free software or websites we can use to put it
together, etc. I use Mastercook at home and it says you can "print your own
cookbook", but I've never used it for that purpose so I'm not sure whether
it's a good choice for a larger project like this. We're just getting
started on this project so I'd like for us to start out on the right foot.
Suggestions? Do's? Dont's?

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 22, 1:53*pm, "Jinx Minx" > wrote:
> I'm on this committe that wants to put together a cookbook that it can sell
> for a small profit. *Has anyone here does this before that can offer up
> advice how best to go about it? *Places we can get it printed inexpensively
> but aren't cheaply made, free software or websites we can use to put it
> together, etc. *I use Mastercook at home and it says you can "print your own
> cookbook", but I've never used it for that purpose so I'm not sure whether
> it's a good choice for a larger project like this. *We're just getting
> started on this project so I'd like for us to start out on the right foot..
> Suggestions? *Do's? *Dont's?
>
> Jinx

Hi Jinx,

I am not TOO sure if it is ok to list a company link here, so if I
have done the incorrect thing, group moderators please feel free to
let me know. When I published my book of family recipes, the following
company were absolutely wonderful in helping me achieve MY goal -
Morris Cookbooks.

Please let me know if you need any further info as I can pass on
details to you regarding the process I went through to have my book
completed by Morris.

Kind Regards,
Brian Anasta

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 22, 2:12*pm, Andy > wrote:

> You're hopeful but honestly in over your head if you had to ask.
>
> Stop the committee idea. It's too costly and it will be confusing and
> time consuming for newbies without experience involved.
>
> Chickens without heads are what committees mostly amount to.
>
> Andy

Couldn't agree more Andy - projects such as this NEED expert guidance.
The company I used were very supportive and were always more than
happy to address any queries/issues I had. I would say you DO need to
contact a group maybe close by in your local area who can sit down
with you and your committee members to go through the process. Most
important I believe is what YOU want the book to look like. Your input
throughout the entire process IS essential and in the end, will make
for a product you are all happy with.

Heck, in the end, the company I dealt with were lcoated back home in
The States while I was here in Australia, so even over the internet
this type of thing IS possible to organize.

Kind Regards,
Brian
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Jinx Minx" > wrote:
>
>> I'm on this committe that wants to put together a cookbook that it can
>> sell for a small profit. Has anyone here does this before that can
>> offer up advice how best to go about it? Places we can get it printed
>> inexpensively but aren't cheaply made, free software or websites we
>> can use to put it together, etc. I use Mastercook at home and it says
>> you can "print your own cookbook", but I've never used it for that
>> purpose so I'm not sure whether it's a good choice for a larger
>> project like this. We're just getting started on this project so I'd
>> like for us to start out on the right foot. Suggestions? Do's?
>> Dont's?
>>
>> Jinx

> You're hopeful but honestly in over your head if you had to ask.
>
> Stop the committee idea. It's too costly and it will be confusing and
> time consuming for newbies without experience involved.
>
> Chickens without heads are what committees mostly amount to.
>
> Andy

Speak for yourself. I never said we were a committtee of completely
clueless newbies, and I wasn't asking on their behalf as a figurehead. I
was asking in the hopes of getting more, different, or better ideas and
printing company leads and referrals than the individuals on the committee
can provide -- some of whom have done this exact same thing previously. I
didn't ask because I "had to", I asked because I wanted to. If we need
breakfast suggestions, I'll be sure and let you know.

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 9:03*pm, Brian Anasta > wrote:
> On Apr 22, 1:53*pm, "Jinx Minx" > wrote:
>
> > I'm on this committe that wants to put together a cookbook that it can sell
> > for a small profit. *Has anyone here does this before that can offer up
> > advice how best to go about it? *Places we can get it printed inexpensively
> > but aren't cheaply made, free software or websites we can use to put it
> > together, etc. *I use Mastercook at home and it says you can "print your own
> > cookbook", but I've never used it for that purpose so I'm not sure whether
> > it's a good choice for a larger project like this. *We're just getting
> > started on this project so I'd like for us to start out on the right foot.
> > Suggestions? *Do's? *Dont's?

> > Jinx

> Hi Jinx,
>
> I am not TOO sure if it is ok to list a company link here, so if I
> have done the incorrect thing, group moderators please feel free to
> let me know.

What "moderators"? If we had moderators, we wouldn't be seeing spam
and OT discussions, would we?

> When I published my book of family recipes, the following
> company were absolutely wonderful in helping me achieve MY goal -
> Morris Cookbooks.
>
> Please let me know if you need any further info as I can pass on
> details to you regarding the process I went through to have my book
> completed by Morris.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Brian Anasta

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 9:12*pm, Andy > wrote:
> "Jinx Minx" > wrote:
> > I'm on this committe that wants to put together a cookbook that it can
> > sell for a small profit. *Has anyone here does this before that can
> > offer up advice how best to go about it? *Places we can get it printed
> > inexpensively but aren't cheaply made, free software or websites we
> > can use to put it together, etc. *I use Mastercook at home and it says
> > you can "print your own cookbook", but I've never used it for that
> > purpose so I'm not sure whether it's a good choice for a larger
> > project like this. *We're just getting started on this project so I'd
> > like for us to start out on the right foot. Suggestions? *Do's?
> > Dont's?

> > Jinx

> You're hopeful but honestly in over your head if you had to ask.
>
> Stop the committee idea. It's too costly and it will be confusing and
> time consuming for newbies without experience involved.
>
> Chickens without heads are what committees mostly amount to.

I thought that "chickens without heads" is what most of the recipes
list as the main ingredient, especially for kosher dishes. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jinx Minx" > wrote:

> I'm on this committe that wants to put together a cookbook that it can sell
> for a small profit. Has anyone here does this before that can offer up
> advice how best to go about it? Places we can get it printed inexpensively
> but aren't cheaply made, free software or websites we can use to put it
> together, etc. I use Mastercook at home and it says you can "print your own
> cookbook", but I've never used it for that purpose so I'm not sure whether
> it's a good choice for a larger project like this. We're just getting
> started on this project so I'd like for us to start out on the right foot.
> Suggestions? Do's? Dont's?
>
> Jinx

Oooh, fun! I've been thinking about one for a reunion but am not sure
I've got the time in the next 2-1/2 months.

Set standards and stick to them at risk of annoying someone;
Insist that recipes be submitted in the format you want, ingredients
listed in the order they are mentioned in the method;

Use the same abbreviations (or no abbreviations) throughout;

Make sure your proofreaders are literate ‹ good intentions are not
enough;

Have someone proofread what the proofreaders approved * you wouldn't
believe the number of changes made to the rfc cookbook after **the
proofread** version (galley proofs) came back from the printer. We were
damned lucky that the guy didn't charge us a boatload of money for
making the corrections that needed to be made;

don't let anyone refer to No. 3, No. 303, etc. sizes for canned goods;

Dummy up a cookbook with, say, 20 recipes in it, from your MC files.
Follow their instructions and try out different layouts and paper sizes,
etc.

And I could go on and on and on.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Jinx Minx" > wrote:
>
>> I'm on this committe that wants to put together a cookbook that it can sell
>> for a small profit. Has anyone here does this before that can offer up
>> advice how best to go about it? Places we can get it printed inexpensively
>> but aren't cheaply made, free software or websites we can use to put it
>> together, etc. I use Mastercook at home and it says you can "print your own
>> cookbook", but I've never used it for that purpose so I'm not sure whether
>> it's a good choice for a larger project like this. We're just getting
>> started on this project so I'd like for us to start out on the right foot.
>> Suggestions? Do's? Dont's?
>>
>> Jinx

> Oooh, fun! I've been thinking about one for a reunion but am not sure
> I've got the time in the next 2-1/2 months.
>
> Set standards and stick to them at risk of annoying someone;
> Insist that recipes be submitted in the format you want, ingredients
> listed in the order they are mentioned in the method;
>
> Use the same abbreviations (or no abbreviations) throughout;
>
> Make sure your proofreaders are literate ‹ good intentions are not
> enough;
>
> Have someone proofread what the proofreaders approved * you wouldn't
> believe the number of changes made to the rfc cookbook after **the
> proofread** version (galley proofs) came back from the printer. We were
> damned lucky that the guy didn't charge us a boatload of money for
> making the corrections that needed to be made;
>
> don't let anyone refer to No. 3, No. 303, etc. sizes for canned goods;
>
> Dummy up a cookbook with, say, 20 recipes in it, from your MC files.
> Follow their instructions and try out different layouts and paper sizes,
> etc.
>
> And I could go on and on and on.

And make sure the ingredients appear in the directions! And that
the ingredients mentioned in the directions are all in the list.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Have someone proofread what the proofreaders approved * you wouldn't
> believe the number of changes made to the rfc cookbook after **the
> proofread** version (galley proofs) came back from the printer. We
> were damned lucky that the guy didn't charge us a boatload of money
> for making the corrections that needed to be made;

I never understood how that happened. One of the recipes most
messed up was one of yours. I have no doubt in my mind that you
didn't submit it that way. I was one of the proofreaders, I didn't change
anything beyond the spelling of some words, and the standardization
of things like TBS.

I really don't know how recipes became convoluted in sending them
back and forth.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jinx Minx wrote:

> I'm on this committe that wants to put together a cookbook that it can
> sell
> for a small profit. Has anyone here does this before that can offer
> up
> advice how best to go about it? Places we can get it printed
> inexpensively but aren't cheaply made, free software or websites we
> can use to put it
> together, etc. I use Mastercook at home and it says you can "print
> your own cookbook", but I've never used it for that purpose so I'm not
> sure whether
> it's a good choice for a larger project like this. We're just getting
> started on this project so I'd like for us to start out on the right
> foot.
> Suggestions? Do's? Dont's?

I agree with Barb, but some other points:

I am fairly sure you can import recipes (or even cut 'n paste them) from
word documents or just plain text documents into Mastercook ? If so,
you can choose a simple layout that's easy to read and stick to that.

How many recipes are you thinking of publishing? Are you going for color
printing (on the pages, not covers) or black and white? Are you going
to use graphics e.g. plated pictures of the food on the recipe pages,
etc. How many copies are you hoping to print and/or sell?

What kind of budget does the committee have for producing this (because
you're going to have to cough up *some* money up-front in order to have
them printed etc.)? Not that I want you to tell me the exact amount
<lol> but that has to be a key factor for consideration in this
venture...

If you're not doing more than say, 100-150 recipes, pretty sure it would
easy enough to use your Mastercook recipe manager software, print out a
copy of the 'final' collection and then take that copy to one of those
photocopier/print shops and let them copy and ring-bind them for you.
However, if that's too costly - does anybody on the committee have a
(fairly fast) laser printer? Might work out cheaper to print the
(recipe) copies yourself and buy one of those 'punches' and do the
binding yourselves. Covers might be more of an issue, if you want to
use thick-ish cardboard (or whatever).

Anyway, here's a link to give you some ideas as to what these on-line
places charge for creating/printing recipe books such as yours (and
what you have to provide):

http://www.cookbookco.com/index.html
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2010 9:55 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> I never understood how that happened. One of the recipes most
> messed up was one of yours. I have no doubt in my mind that you
> didn't submit it that way. I was one of the proofreaders, I didn't
> change
> anything beyond the spelling of some words, and the standardization
> of things like TBS.
>
> I really don't know how recipes became convoluted in sending them
> back and forth.
>
> nancy

One of my recipes had a glitch in it, but Damsel found it right off the
bat. This was my fault for not making sure the recipe correct. It
really does help to have proofreaders.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> "Jinx Minx" > wrote:

>>> You're hopeful but honestly in over your head if you had to ask.
>>>
>>> Stop the committee idea. It's too costly and it will be confusing
>>> and time consuming for newbies without experience involved.
>>>
>>> Chickens without heads are what committees mostly amount to.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>> Speak for yourself. I never said we were a committtee of completely
>> clueless newbies, and I wasn't asking on their behalf as a
>> figurehead.
>> I was asking in the hopes of getting more, different, or better
>> ideas
>> and printing company leads and referrals than the individuals on the
>> committee can provide -- some of whom have done this exact same thing
>> previously. I didn't ask because I "had to", I asked because I
>> wanted
>> to. If we need breakfast suggestions, I'll be sure and let you
>> know.
>>
>> Jinx

> Jinx,
>
> I didn't mean to hurt your feelings!

Sure you didn't...

> Production of professional printed texts that anybody else would want
> to read AND actually buy is something left to the pros and that talent
> doesn't come free!!!
>
> Believe me or not!

Not. I've bought many a cookbook that was published (in ring-binders
i.e. not glossy, expensive books) by local Church Groups, and various
other groups, who were doing it to raise money for charity. (And FYI -
you pratt - I actually worked as a DTP person - many years ago - in a
place where a f***ing fortune was spent to produce 'professional
printed texts'). And (another) FYI - the recipes in
those 'non-professional' cookbooks were every bit as good as
any 'professional' ones I've bought. The RFC Cookbook comes to mind;
that was published (with a lot of blood, sweat and tears) by a bunch
of 'non-professional' people and it turned out pretty
darn 'professional', IMNSHO.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Jinx Minx" > wrote:
>
>> I'm on this committe that wants to put together a cookbook that it can
>> sell
>> for a small profit. Has anyone here does this before that can offer up
>> advice how best to go about it? Places we can get it printed
>> inexpensively
>> but aren't cheaply made, free software or websites we can use to put it
>> together, etc. I use Mastercook at home and it says you can "print your
>> own
>> cookbook", but I've never used it for that purpose so I'm not sure
>> whether
>> it's a good choice for a larger project like this. We're just getting
>> started on this project so I'd like for us to start out on the right
>> foot.
>> Suggestions? Do's? Dont's?
>>
>> Jinx

> Oooh, fun! I've been thinking about one for a reunion but am not sure
> I've got the time in the next 2-1/2 months.
>
> Set standards and stick to them at risk of annoying someone;
> Insist that recipes be submitted in the format you want, ingredients
> listed in the order they are mentioned in the method;
>
> Use the same abbreviations (or no abbreviations) throughout;
>
> Make sure your proofreaders are literate ‹ good intentions are not
> enough;
>
> Have someone proofread what the proofreaders approved * you wouldn't
> believe the number of changes made to the rfc cookbook after **the
> proofread** version (galley proofs) came back from the printer. We were
> damned lucky that the guy didn't charge us a boatload of money for
> making the corrections that needed to be made;
>
> don't let anyone refer to No. 3, No. 303, etc. sizes for canned goods;
>
> Dummy up a cookbook with, say, 20 recipes in it, from your MC files.
> Follow their instructions and try out different layouts and paper sizes,
> etc.
>
> And I could go on and on and on.
>

> --
> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller
> Updated 4-17-2010

I might add - TEST all recipes to make sure.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> On 4/22/2010 9:55 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> I never understood how that happened. One of the recipes most
>> messed up was one of yours. I have no doubt in my mind that you
>> didn't submit it that way. I was one of the proofreaders, I didn't
>> change
>> anything beyond the spelling of some words, and the standardization
>> of things like TBS.
>>
>> I really don't know how recipes became convoluted in sending them
>> back and forth.

> One of my recipes had a glitch in it, but Damsel found it right off
> the bat. This was my fault for not making sure the recipe correct.
> It really does help to have proofreaders.

I'm reading through the list of corrections and this is the funniest one:

Change 'tatas' to 'Tabasco' ... (laugh) Okay,then.

I don't have a cookbook from the first printing, so even reading the
corrections, I don't know what the recipe said before.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> I'm insulted.

That was the the intention.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 23:12:35 -0500, Andy wrote:

> "Jinx Minx" > wrote:
>
>> I'm on this committe that wants to put together a cookbook that it can
>> sell for a small profit. Has anyone here does this before that can
>> offer up advice how best to go about it? Places we can get it printed
>> inexpensively but aren't cheaply made, free software or websites we
>> can use to put it together, etc. I use Mastercook at home and it says
>> you can "print your own cookbook", but I've never used it for that
>> purpose so I'm not sure whether it's a good choice for a larger
>> project like this. We're just getting started on this project so I'd
>> like for us to start out on the right foot. Suggestions? Do's?
>> Dont's?
>>
>> Jinx

> You're hopeful but honestly in over your head if you had to ask.
>
> Stop the committee idea. It's too costly and it will be confusing and
> time consuming for newbies without experience involved.
>
> Chickens without heads are what committees mostly amount to.
>
> Andy

any committee *you're* involved with, sure.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Andy" > wrote in message ...
>> "Jinx Minx" > wrote:
>>

>> You're hopeful but honestly in over your head if you had to ask.
>>
>> Stop the committee idea. It's too costly and it will be confusing and
>> time consuming for newbies without experience involved.
>>
>> Chickens without heads are what committees mostly amount to.
>>
>> Andy
>>

> Speak for yourself. I never said we were a committtee of completely
> clueless newbies, and I wasn't asking on their behalf as a figurehead. I
> was asking in the hopes of getting more, different, or better ideas and
> printing company leads and referrals than the individuals on the committee
> can provide -- some of whom have done this exact same thing previously. I
> didn't ask because I "had to", I asked because I wanted to. If we need
> breakfast suggestions, I'll be sure and let you know.
>
> Jinx

<snort>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Have someone proofread what the proofreaders approved - you wouldn't
> > believe the number of changes made to the rfc cookbook after **the
> > proofread** version (galley proofs) came back from the printer. We
> > were damned lucky that the guy didn't charge us a boatload of money
> > for making the corrections that needed to be made;

> I never understood how that happened. One of the recipes most
> messed up was one of yours. I have no doubt in my mind that you
> didn't submit it that way.

I remember it well. My Peach Melba Jam, I think. LOL! <shrug> Bubba
Vic could tell you if I
submitted it the way it came out in the galley proofs.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-17-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>>> Have someone proofread what the proofreaders approved - you wouldn't
>>> believe the number of changes made to the rfc cookbook after **the
>>> proofread** version (galley proofs) came back from the printer. We
>>> were damned lucky that the guy didn't charge us a boatload of money
>>> for making the corrections that needed to be made;

>> I never understood how that happened. One of the recipes most
>> messed up was one of yours. I have no doubt in my mind that you
>> didn't submit it that way.

> I remember it well. My Peach Melba Jam, I think. LOL! <shrug>
> Bubba Vic could tell you if I
> submitted it the way it came out in the galley proofs.

I am sure it got screwed up somewhere along the line. I just don't
know how. You're pretty detail oriented with recipes, I am sure you
didn't do it.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Jinx Minx" > wrote:

>>> You're hopeful but honestly in over your head if you had to ask.
>>>
>>> Stop the committee idea. It's too costly and it will be confusing and
>>> time consuming for newbies without experience involved.
>>>
>>> Chickens without heads are what committees mostly amount to.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>> Speak for yourself. I never said we were a committtee of completely
>> clueless newbies, and I wasn't asking on their behalf as a figurehead.
>> I was asking in the hopes of getting more, different, or better ideas
>> and printing company leads and referrals than the individuals on the
>> committee can provide -- some of whom have done this exact same thing
>> previously. I didn't ask because I "had to", I asked because I wanted
>> to. If we need breakfast suggestions, I'll be sure and let you know.
>>
>> Jinx

> Jinx,
>
> I didn't mean to hurt your feelings!
>
> Production of professional printed texts that anybody else would want to
> read AND actually buy is something left to the pros and that talent
> doesn't come free!!!
>
> Believe me or not!
>
> Andy

Well, we're not trying to create a professional cookbook with an actual ISBN
number to be published. This is a cookbook we're making for and selling to
our larger group internally (some profit but by no means a large margin).
The intent is for Agent X to buy however many copies he'd like to
distribute/gift to family/friends/clients/etc. Think church fundraising or
family reunion cookbook sort of endeavor. Hope that clears up any
misconception!

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Jinx Minx wrote:
>
>> I'm on this committe that wants to put together a cookbook that it can
>> sell
>> for a small profit. Has anyone here does this before that can offer
>> up
>> advice how best to go about it? Places we can get it printed
>> inexpensively but aren't cheaply made, free software or websites we
>> can use to put it
>> together, etc. I use Mastercook at home and it says you can "print
>> your own cookbook", but I've never used it for that purpose so I'm not
>> sure whether
>> it's a good choice for a larger project like this. We're just getting
>> started on this project so I'd like for us to start out on the right
>> foot.
>> Suggestions? Do's? Dont's?

> I agree with Barb, but some other points:
>
> I am fairly sure you can import recipes (or even cut 'n paste them) from
> word documents or just plain text documents into Mastercook ? If so,
> you can choose a simple layout that's easy to read and stick to that.
>
> How many recipes are you thinking of publishing? Are you going for color
> printing (on the pages, not covers) or black and white? Are you going
> to use graphics e.g. plated pictures of the food on the recipe pages,
> etc. How many copies are you hoping to print and/or sell?
>
> What kind of budget does the committee have for producing this (because
> you're going to have to cough up *some* money up-front in order to have
> them printed etc.)? Not that I want you to tell me the exact amount
> <lol> but that has to be a key factor for consideration in this
> venture...
>
> If you're not doing more than say, 100-150 recipes, pretty sure it would
> easy enough to use your Mastercook recipe manager software, print out a
> copy of the 'final' collection and then take that copy to one of those
> photocopier/print shops and let them copy and ring-bind them for you.
> However, if that's too costly - does anybody on the committee have a
> (fairly fast) laser printer? Might work out cheaper to print the
> (recipe) copies yourself and buy one of those 'punches' and do the
> binding yourselves. Covers might be more of an issue, if you want to
> use thick-ish cardboard (or whatever).
>
> Anyway, here's a link to give you some ideas as to what these on-line
> places charge for creating/printing recipe books such as yours (and
> what you have to provide):
>
> http://www.cookbookco.com/index.html
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Yeah, I had thought about just doing the printing ourselves since we do have
a very high quality, professional color laser printer in the office and also
a binding system (we're doing this for work). I think though that no one is
going to want to do all that work manually since I am estimating we'll
probably be making at least 200 copies. It's a good question though to
bring up at our meeting next week.

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jinx Minx wrote:
> "Andy" > wrote in message ...

>>> Speak for yourself. I never said we were a committtee of completely
>>> clueless newbies, and I wasn't asking on their behalf as a figurehead.
>>> I was asking in the hopes of getting more, different, or better ideas
>>> and printing company leads and referrals than the individuals on the
>>> committee can provide -- some of whom have done this exact same thing
>>> previously. I didn't ask because I "had to", I asked because I wanted
>>> to. If we need breakfast suggestions, I'll be sure and let you know.
>>>
>>> Jinx

>> Jinx,
>>
>> I didn't mean to hurt your feelings!
>>
>> Production of professional printed texts that anybody else would want to
>> read AND actually buy is something left to the pros and that talent
>> doesn't come free!!!
>>
>> Believe me or not!
>>
>> Andy

> Well, we're not trying to create a professional cookbook with an actual ISBN
> number to be published. This is a cookbook we're making for and selling to
> our larger group internally (some profit but by no means a large margin).
> The intent is for Agent X to buy however many copies he'd like to
> distribute/gift to family/friends/clients/etc. Think church fundraising or
> family reunion cookbook sort of endeavor. Hope that clears up any
> misconception!
>
> Jinx

Well some more input from me.... Check absolutely everything! If
there are corrections, check every single round of them. Look at
the contiguous things to make sure nothing else got screwed up in
the process. I find it useful to make separate passes for various
things (e.g., spacing, header format). It is very hard to focus
on numerous issues at once.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Jinx Minx" > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm on this committe that wants to put together a cookbook that it can
>>> sell
>>> for a small profit. Has anyone here does this before that can offer up
>>> advice how best to go about it? Places we can get it printed
>>> inexpensively
>>> but aren't cheaply made, free software or websites we can use to put it
>>> together, etc. I use Mastercook at home and it says you can "print your
>>> own
>>> cookbook", but I've never used it for that purpose so I'm not sure
>>> whether
>>> it's a good choice for a larger project like this. We're just getting
>>> started on this project so I'd like for us to start out on the right
>>> foot.
>>> Suggestions? Do's? Dont's?
>>>
>>> Jinx

>> Oooh, fun! I've been thinking about one for a reunion but am not sure
>> I've got the time in the next 2-1/2 months.
>>
>> Set standards and stick to them at risk of annoying someone;
>> Insist that recipes be submitted in the format you want, ingredients
>> listed in the order they are mentioned in the method;
>>
>> Use the same abbreviations (or no abbreviations) throughout;
>>
>> Make sure your proofreaders are literate ‹ good intentions are not
>> enough;
>>
>> Have someone proofread what the proofreaders approved * you wouldn't
>> believe the number of changes made to the rfc cookbook after **the
>> proofread** version (galley proofs) came back from the printer. We were
>> damned lucky that the guy didn't charge us a boatload of money for
>> making the corrections that needed to be made;
>>
>> don't let anyone refer to No. 3, No. 303, etc. sizes for canned goods;
>>
>> Dummy up a cookbook with, say, 20 recipes in it, from your MC files.
>> Follow their instructions and try out different layouts and paper sizes,
>> etc.
>>
>> And I could go on and on and on.
>>

>> --
>> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller
>> Updated 4-17-2010

> I might add - TEST all recipes to make sure.
>
> Dimitri

I was thinking the same thing, D. Thanks for saying it.
-g

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Jinx Minx wrote:
>
>> I'm on this committe that wants to put together a cookbook that it can
>> sell
>> for a small profit. Has anyone here does this before that can offer
>> up
>> advice how best to go about it? Places we can get it printed
>> inexpensively but aren't cheaply made, free software or websites we
>> can use to put it
>> together, etc. I use Mastercook at home and it says you can "print
>> your own cookbook", but I've never used it for that purpose so I'm not
>> sure whether
>> it's a good choice for a larger project like this. We're just getting
>> started on this project so I'd like for us to start out on the right
>> foot.
>> Suggestions? Do's? Dont's?

> I agree with Barb, but some other points:
>
> I am fairly sure you can import recipes (or even cut 'n paste them) from
> word documents or just plain text documents into Mastercook ? If so,
> you can choose a simple layout that's easy to read and stick to that.
>
> How many recipes are you thinking of publishing? Are you going for color
> printing (on the pages, not covers) or black and white? Are you going
> to use graphics e.g. plated pictures of the food on the recipe pages,
> etc. How many copies are you hoping to print and/or sell?
>
> What kind of budget does the committee have for producing this (because
> you're going to have to cough up *some* money up-front in order to have
> them printed etc.)? Not that I want you to tell me the exact amount
> <lol> but that has to be a key factor for consideration in this
> venture...
>
> If you're not doing more than say, 100-150 recipes, pretty sure it would
> easy enough to use your Mastercook recipe manager software, print out a
> copy of the 'final' collection and then take that copy to one of those
> photocopier/print shops and let them copy and ring-bind them for you.
> However, if that's too costly - does anybody on the committee have a
> (fairly fast) laser printer? Might work out cheaper to print the
> (recipe) copies yourself and buy one of those 'punches' and do the
> binding yourselves. Covers might be more of an issue, if you want to
> use thick-ish cardboard (or whatever).
>
> Anyway, here's a link to give you some ideas as to what these on-line
> places charge for creating/printing recipe books such as yours (and
> what you have to provide):
>
> http://www.cookbookco.com/index.html
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Cathy, I was on a committee once that made a handbook (in excess of 200
pages) that needed to be printed and bound. We had the one of the local
'workshops' do it. The local school agency that provides educational
services and teaches a trade to the mentally and physically challenged runs
a 'printing' shop. They did this for a nominal cost, and the effort was
used to help teach a trade in sheltered environment. The students were paid
for their services and we received a quality product.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
>

>> I'm insulted.

> That was the the intention.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

you go, girl.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> Cathy, I was on a committee once that made a handbook (in excess of
> 200
> pages) that needed to be printed and bound. We had the one of the
> local
> 'workshops' do it. The local school agency that provides educational
> services and teaches a trade to the mentally and physically challenged
> runs
> a 'printing' shop. They did this for a nominal cost, and the effort
> was
> used to help teach a trade in sheltered environment. The students
> were paid for their services and we received a quality product.
> -ginny

What a great idea! Win-win situation, IMO too. Wonder if there's any
places like that where Jinx lives?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
news
> Becca wrote:
>> On 4/22/2010 9:55 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>> I never understood how that happened. One of the recipes most
>>> messed up was one of yours. I have no doubt in my mind that you
>>> didn't submit it that way. I was one of the proofreaders, I didn't
>>> change
>>> anything beyond the spelling of some words, and the standardization
>>> of things like TBS.
>>>
>>> I really don't know how recipes became convoluted in sending them
>>> back and forth.

>> One of my recipes had a glitch in it, but Damsel found it right off
>> the bat. This was my fault for not making sure the recipe correct. It
>> really does help to have proofreaders.

> I'm reading through the list of corrections and this is the funniest one:
>
> Change 'tatas' to 'Tabasco' ... (laugh) Okay,then.
>
> I don't have a cookbook from the first printing, so even reading the
> corrections, I don't know what the recipe said before.

Were you the very kind Nancy that sent me a copy of the RFC cookbook?
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I don't have a cookbook from the first printing, so even reading the
>> corrections, I don't know what the recipe said before.

> Were you the very kind Nancy that sent me a copy of the RFC cookbook?

The very one! I don't know which printing it was from.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-04-23, Nancy Young > wrote:

> The very one! I don't know which printing it was from.

There was more than one printing?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> I don't have a cookbook from the first printing, so even reading the
>>> corrections, I don't know what the recipe said before.

>> Were you the very kind Nancy that sent me a copy of the RFC cookbook?

> The very one! I don't know which printing it was from.

Well I certainly don't
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:35:54 -0500, Andy wrote:

> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>> Andy wrote:

>>> Jinx,
>>>
>>> I didn't mean to hurt your feelings!

>> Sure you didn't...
>>

>>> Production of professional printed texts that anybody else would want
>>> to read AND actually buy is something left to the pros and that talent
>>> doesn't come free!!!
>>>
>>> Believe me or not!

>> Not. I've bought many a cookbook that was published (in ring-binders
>> i.e. not glossy, expensive books) by local Church Groups, and various
>> other groups, who were doing it to raise money for charity. (And FYI -
>> you pratt - I actually worked as a DTP person - many years ago - in a
>> place where a f***ing fortune was spent to produce 'professional
>> printed texts'). And (another) FYI - the recipes in
>> those 'non-professional' cookbooks were every bit as good as
>> any 'professional' ones I've bought. The RFC Cookbook comes to mind;
>> that was published (with a lot of blood, sweat and tears) by a bunch
>> of 'non-professional' people and it turned out pretty
>> darn 'professional', IMNSHO.

> Cathy,
>
> I'm NOT going to "toot my horn" over my accomplishments.
>
> STOP THE PRESSES.
>
> Shame on you!
>
> I'm insulted.
>
> Andy

what the **** are you talking about?

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>> Oooh, fun! I've been thinking about one for a reunion but am not sure
>>> I've got the time in the next 2-1/2 months.
>>>
>>> Set standards and stick to them at risk of annoying someone;
>>> Insist that recipes be submitted in the format you want, ingredients
>>> listed in the order they are mentioned in the method;
>>>
>>> Use the same abbreviations (or no abbreviations) throughout;
>>>
>>> Make sure your proofreaders are literate ‹ good intentions are not
>>> enough;
>>>
>>> Have someone proofread what the proofreaders approved * you wouldn't
>>> believe the number of changes made to the rfc cookbook after **the
>>> proofread** version (galley proofs) came back from the printer. We were
>>> damned lucky that the guy didn't charge us a boatload of money for
>>> making the corrections that needed to be made;
>>>
>>> don't let anyone refer to No. 3, No. 303, etc. sizes for canned goods;
>>>
>>> Dummy up a cookbook with, say, 20 recipes in it, from your MC files.
>>> Follow their instructions and try out different layouts and paper sizes,
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> And I could go on and on and on.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller
>>> Updated 4-17-2010

>> I might add - TEST all recipes to make sure.
>>
>> Dimitri

> I was thinking the same thing, D. Thanks for saying it.
> -g

Sure I think it's one of the most important steps.

How many time have you looked at a recipe and realized there's a step or an
ingredient missing?

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2010-04-23, Nancy Young > wrote:
>>
>> The very one! I don't know which printing it was from.

> There was more than one printing?

Yes ... we ordered however many books and wound up with enough
orders to get a second printing.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> notbob wrote:

>>> There was more than one printing?

>> Yes ... we ordered however many books and wound up with enough
>> orders to get a second printing.

> Out of curiosity, is there a one or two page .pdf preview?
>
> I'd like to look.

Not that I know of.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> I might add - TEST all recipes to make sure.
>
> Dimitri

Sorry, D, but I wouldn't go to the trouble and the expense. I'm not
discounting the value of doing it, just saying that it can take a lot of
time and a lot of money. Frankly, if I were a member of her committee
or group, I wouldn't test more than one without wanting to be
compensated for expenses. Do that with, say, 75-100 recipes and the
cost of the whole project goes up. JMO.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Updated 4-17-2010

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 21:57:30 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> "Dimitri" > wrote:
>
>> I might add - TEST all recipes to make sure.
>>
>> Dimitri

> Sorry, D, but I wouldn't go to the trouble and the expense. I'm not
> discounting the value of doing it, just saying that it can take a lot of
> time and a lot of money. Frankly, if I were a member of her committee
> or group, I wouldn't test more than one without wanting to be
> compensated for expenses. Do that with, say, 75-100 recipes and the
> cost of the whole project goes up. JMO.

my thought as well. plus, who has all the equipment for the cooking
techniques likely to be employed (smoker, wok, tagine, or what have you -
dare i say canning equipment?) that are likely to be involved in a
collection of 75-100 recipes?

if you're turning out a 'professional' book, that would be one thing. but
as i understand it, it's a charity effort by a group of non-professionals.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> I might add - TEST all recipes to make sure.

Pretty sure that's already been done. Cookbooks like the one Jinx is
talking about are usually compiled from signature dish-type recipes;
many of said recipes being contributed by the committee members
themselves... Bit like the RFC Cookbook, IMO.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
> >
> >"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> ... >>"Melba's Jammin'"

> > > I might add - TEST all recipes to make sure.
> > >
> > > Dimitri

> > I was thinking the same thing, D. Thanks for saying it.
> > -g

> Sure I think it's one of the most important steps.
>
> How many time have you looked at a recipe and realized there's a step
> or an ingredient missing?
>
> Dimitri

Less often than I've seen unhelpfully imprecise directions such as
"Cook until done."

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers"

Creating My Own Grill and Smoker Alan Barbecue 7 05-03-2005 03:29 PM
Creating your own blends Rob Tea 5 23-02-2005 04:48 AM
Creating a wine recipe codie Winemaking 3 20-02-2005 06:14 PM
any one have suggestions about creating a family cookbook pamperigouste General Cooking 19 05-01-2005 04:07 PM
Creating brett SRC Winemaking 13 07-01-2004 09:24 AM