Rudolph R?ttger

Default A little Off-Topic: Who are you?

Hey Group.

I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
or just interested alot in that topic?

I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.

Sorry for this a little off-topic post,

Rudolph F. Rüttger
Dar V

Making wine is a hobby for me. I usually make fruit, veggie, and herb
wines. I'm in my 4th year, and still learning. I've been posting and
reading posts for over a year, almost two. It is a good mix of posters
here; professional, hobbyists, those who make wine from grapes, those of who
make wine from other things, and those who are into kit wines. There's also
many different levels from beginners to those who have been doing this for
many, many years.
Darlene
Wisconsin, USA

"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

Dar V

Making wine is a hobby for me. I usually make fruit, veggie, and herb
wines. I'm in my 4th year, and still learning. I've been posting and
reading posts for over a year, almost two. It is a good mix of posters
here; professional, hobbyists, those who make wine from grapes, those of who
make wine from other things, and those who are into kit wines. There's also
many different levels from beginners to those who have been doing this for
many, many years.
Darlene
Wisconsin, USA

"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

Dar V

Making wine is a hobby for me. I usually make fruit, veggie, and herb
wines. I'm in my 4th year, and still learning. I've been posting and
reading posts for over a year, almost two. It is a good mix of posters
here; professional, hobbyists, those who make wine from grapes, those of who
make wine from other things, and those who are into kit wines. There's also
many different levels from beginners to those who have been doing this for
many, many years.
Darlene
Wisconsin, USA

"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

alien

Rudolph R?ttger wrote:
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

Hobbyist. Haven't ever made a grape wine and living in Scotland unlikely to.

alien

Rudolph R?ttger wrote:
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

Hobbyist. Haven't ever made a grape wine and living in Scotland unlikely to.
Ray Calvert

Been making wine as a hobbyist since the mid 70's. (That is last century)
I make about 60- 80 gallons a year. about half from grapes and the rest
from fruit. Getting more into mead now.

Ray

David J.

Hello, my name is David and I'm an A.....

Just kidding. I am new to home wine making, just two years now. I am yet to
make a wine from real grapes but have done many grape kits, concentrates,
ciders and some fruits and veggies.

This list is great, I'm glad I found it. I finally have some people to talk
to about this stuff. My fiancé gets tired of hearing me babble about stuff
she doesn't understand and doesn't care to learn about. And none of my
friends are wine makers.

David
Greensboro, North Carolina.

"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

David J.

Hello, my name is David and I'm an A.....

Just kidding. I am new to home wine making, just two years now. I am yet to
make a wine from real grapes but have done many grape kits, concentrates,
ciders and some fruits and veggies.

This list is great, I'm glad I found it. I finally have some people to talk
to about this stuff. My fiancé gets tired of hearing me babble about stuff
she doesn't understand and doesn't care to learn about. And none of my
friends are wine makers.

David
Greensboro, North Carolina.

"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

Erroll Ozgencil

I'm a hobbyist who started brewing beer over ten years ago. It wasn't
until four years ago that I started making wine, and I make about 30
gallons a year using store-bought concentrates and juice, fresh fruit
from u-pick farms and farmer's markets, and - for the first time this
year - wine grapes. I began making mead, and using honey in some of my
wines and beers, about two years ago.

Erroll

Seattle, WA
USA

R-D-C

I am a software developer!

New hobby to me. Two months in, 15 gallons on the go and nothing drunk so
far - I am fascinated by the process.

"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

R-D-C

I am a software developer!

New hobby to me. Two months in, 15 gallons on the go and nothing drunk so
far - I am fascinated by the process.

"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

Joe

I'm a hobbyist located in New Jersey, USA.

I've been at it for about 2 years. I started because I really
wanted to try dandelion wine and making my own seemed to be the
only way that would happen. I also make wine from the
wineberries (wild raspberries) that grow wild in abundance all
around me. And I do other non-grape wines - I like being able to
make wines that can't be found found in the local liquor store.

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

KD

Hobbyist here too, just started about six months ago after thinking about it
for a couple of years (and thinking it would be too hard!). Fortunately I
saved all my store-bought wine bottles while I thought about it. I've
made mostly kits up to this point, but I currently have a batch of mead and
some apple wine from fresh pressed apples on the go.

KD

Nova Scotia, Canada

"Joe" > wrote in message
.. .
> I'm a hobbyist located in New Jersey, USA.
>
> I've been at it for about 2 years. I started because I really wanted to
> try dandelion wine and making my own seemed to be the only way that would
> happen. I also make wine from the wineberries (wild raspberries) that
> grow wild in abundance all around me. And I do other non-grape wines - I
> like being able to make wines that can't be found found in the local
> liquor store.
>
> --
> Joe
> http://www.joekaz.net/
> http://www.cafepress.com/joekaz

KD

Hobbyist here too, just started about six months ago after thinking about it
for a couple of years (and thinking it would be too hard!). Fortunately I
saved all my store-bought wine bottles while I thought about it. I've
made mostly kits up to this point, but I currently have a batch of mead and
some apple wine from fresh pressed apples on the go.

KD

Nova Scotia, Canada

"Joe" > wrote in message
.. .
> I'm a hobbyist located in New Jersey, USA.
>
> I've been at it for about 2 years. I started because I really wanted to
> try dandelion wine and making my own seemed to be the only way that would
> happen. I also make wine from the wineberries (wild raspberries) that
> grow wild in abundance all around me. And I do other non-grape wines - I
> like being able to make wines that can't be found found in the local
> liquor store.
>
> --
> Joe
> http://www.joekaz.net/
> http://www.cafepress.com/joekaz

Weez

Hobby too...
Although it started out as my hubbie's hobby and I took over, I found it
more interesting than he did, I make it he drinks it, works out perfectly!
Louise)
--

"KD" > wrote in message
> Hobbyist here too, just started about six months ago after thinking about
> it for a couple of years (and thinking it would be too hard!). Fortunately
> I saved all my store-bought wine bottles while I thought about it. I've
> made mostly kits up to this point, but I currently have a batch of mead
> and some apple wine from fresh pressed apples on the go.
>
> KD
>
> Nova Scotia, Canada
>

> "Joe" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> I'm a hobbyist located in New Jersey, USA.
>>
>> I've been at it for about 2 years. I started because I really wanted to
>> try dandelion wine and making my own seemed to be the only way that would
>> happen. I also make wine from the wineberries (wild raspberries) that
>> grow wild in abundance all around me. And I do other non-grape wines - I
>> like being able to make wines that can't be found found in the local
>> liquor store.
>>
>> --
>> Joe
>> http://www.joekaz.net/
>> http://www.cafepress.com/joekaz

Weez

"KD" > wrote in message
> Hobbyist here too, just started about six months ago after thinking about
> it for a couple of years (and thinking it would be too hard!). Fortunately
> I saved all my store-bought wine bottles while I thought about it. I've
> made mostly kits up to this point, but I currently have a batch of mead
> and some apple wine from fresh pressed apples on the go.
>
> KD
>
> Nova Scotia, Canada
>

> "Joe" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> I'm a hobbyist located in New Jersey, USA.
>>
>> I've been at it for about 2 years. I started because I really wanted to
>> try dandelion wine and making my own seemed to be the only way that would
>> happen. I also make wine from the wineberries (wild raspberries) that
>> grow wild in abundance all around me. And I do other non-grape wines - I
>> like being able to make wines that can't be found found in the local
>> liquor store.
>>
>> --
>> Joe
>> http://www.joekaz.net/
>> http://www.cafepress.com/joekaz

Tom S

"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?

I've been all three of those. :^)

I started out interested in the topic (30 years ago), began making wines at
home 22 years ago, and went commercial on a small scale 2½ years ago. I
make only Chardonnay commercially, but I've got some Pinot Noir and
Sangiovese in barrel at home too.

Tom S
www.chateauburbank.com

Tom S

"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?

I've been all three of those. :^)

I started out interested in the topic (30 years ago), began making wines at
home 22 years ago, and went commercial on a small scale 2½ years ago. I
make only Chardonnay commercially, but I've got some Pinot Noir and
Sangiovese in barrel at home too.

Tom S
www.chateauburbank.com

William Frazier

I'm a retired research pharmacist. I grow grapes and make wine as a hobby.
I'm experimenting with some vinifera vines (C. Franc, C. Sauvignon and
Chardonnay) here in the KC area along with hybrids. So far, so good. I've
been at it since 1996 and finally I think I have the right vines for wines I
want to make.

Now for my occasional plug. When you sign your posts to this news group
sign your name and give your location. It's interesting to know where all
you winemakers live and ferment.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

William Frazier

I'm a retired research pharmacist. I grow grapes and make wine as a hobby.
I'm experimenting with some vinifera vines (C. Franc, C. Sauvignon and
Chardonnay) here in the KC area along with hybrids. So far, so good. I've
been at it since 1996 and finally I think I have the right vines for wines I
want to make.

Now for my occasional plug. When you sign your posts to this news group
sign your name and give your location. It's interesting to know where all
you winemakers live and ferment.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA

"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

I do it for a hobby also, have for about 4 years but only in the past
year have I gotten serious about it. My first couple attempts were
flops, one was an Alexandria's as well as a couple strawberry wine
attempts. I decided that homemade wine makes for a nice, generally
inexpensive gift that people always appreciate. Once I got comfortable
with the process, I started making wine with a vengeance. I will
continue to make wine with a vengeance until I have a large enough
stock that I can permit some of them to age properly. I currently have
34 gallons under airlock in 13 various flavors, and 104 bottles on the
rack. I also decided to stop making 1 gal batches...5 bottles is not a
lot of profit for having to wait so long...so now virtually everything
is a minimum 3 gal batch. It's fun, it's a challenge, it occupies my
evenings and I very much enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Paul

Rudolph R?ttger wrote:
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>=20
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>=20
> Rudolph F. R=FCttger

Sarge

I'm an IT analyst. I grow grapes and make wine as a hobby.
I sell my surplus grapes to the home market. Grapes I grow (C. Franc, pinot
noir, Baco Noir, Chardonnay).
I have been at it since 1998. I am in the Niagara Falls area.
I have taken wine making more seriously the last 2 years and I am now ready
to invest in some oak barrels.
Sarge

Darwin Vander Stelt

I was a dairy farmer for 25 years and now am a real estate broker in Nampa,
Idaho. I have enjoyed wine my whole life and 7 years ago when we were
moving, I determined I would have enough ground for a small vinyard. I now
have about 500 vines, of cab sauv, cab franc, merlot, pinot noir, pinot
gris, chardonney, and gervurtz. This part of Idaho is a terrific place to
grow grapes, with lots of sun but also cool nights due to the 2700 ft
elevation. We typically have grapes with 23 brix and .8 acidity. I am
learning almost everything the hard way, but it has been fun, and I rarely
buy wine any more! Tom S has been a huge help, as has Lum, Ben Rotter, David
Breeder, and a bunch of others who I can't remember. Eventually I will have
a great vintage! This has to be the best hobby ever.

(Let me know if you want to buy land for a vinyard! choice sites available!)
"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

Darwin Vander Stelt

I was a dairy farmer for 25 years and now am a real estate broker in Nampa,
Idaho. I have enjoyed wine my whole life and 7 years ago when we were
moving, I determined I would have enough ground for a small vinyard. I now
have about 500 vines, of cab sauv, cab franc, merlot, pinot noir, pinot
gris, chardonney, and gervurtz. This part of Idaho is a terrific place to
grow grapes, with lots of sun but also cool nights due to the 2700 ft
elevation. We typically have grapes with 23 brix and .8 acidity. I am
learning almost everything the hard way, but it has been fun, and I rarely
buy wine any more! Tom S has been a huge help, as has Lum, Ben Rotter, David
Breeder, and a bunch of others who I can't remember. Eventually I will have
a great vintage! This has to be the best hobby ever.

(Let me know if you want to buy land for a vinyard! choice sites available!)
"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

I am a hobbyist and have been making wine for about 5 years now. I got
interested in winemaking from my grandpa when I was younger. He used
to make wine from everything, much like Jack Keller. I am a SysAdmin
in Houston Texas. I am currently working in a medical school designing
software to help in Multiple Sclerosis research. I also manage the
Solaris infrastructure. I am also the designer of the Lazy Hill Wine
Log (http://www.chadandtrish.com/winelog)

Chad Harvey
Houston, TX, USA

Rudolph R?ttger wrote:
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>=20
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>=20
> Rudolph F. R=FCttger

Amigoni Vineyards

To All:

I am a vineyard owner and winemaker during the weekends and executive
officer of a technology company in Kansas City by the weekday.
However, I have conducted many a conference call by cell on a Friday
morning while in the vineyard without the large insurance companies on
the other end having a clue!

My pursuit over the past 8 years has been the growing of vinifera in
Missouri. With a few great vintages behind us, we are continuing
expansion of our vinifera plantings of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet
Franc and Chardonnay. Each year we figure out another piece of the
puzzle; for example, we have figured out how to bird net the vineyard
with ease and efficiency using side netting techniques. The passion
grows year to year. The most rewarding part is that we continue to
expand our friendships to others with the same passion for wine and
grapes. It is amazing the interest that is out there!

Michael Amigoni
Amigoni Family Vineyards
www.amigoni.com

Rudolph R?ttger wrote:
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>=20
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>=20
> Rudolph F. R=FCttger

Amigoni Vineyards

Rudolph R?ttger wrote:
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>=20
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>=20
> Rudolph F. R=FCttger

Mike McGeough

Hi Rudy,
Wie geht's?

I'm a home hobbyist trying to grow hybrid grapes in the hilly region of
northwest New Jersey, about 70 km west of New York City. I am retired
from the health profession, but keep busy teaching Chemistry on the
secondary level. I've been making wine at home for about 35 years, but
learned the commercial side of the craft while assisting a friend who
is a professional grower & maker.

--

Mike MTM, Cokesbury, New Jersey, USA

bwesley7

I'm a Safety/Health/Environmental ("SHE") Manager for a mid-size chemical
company. Started making wine with native pears from trees on family
property several years ago, then expanded into kits and experimented with
numerous other fruits, eventually returning to and concentrating on pear,
Welsh concentrates, and selected kits. Great hobby(!), but in truth I
probably spend more on wine now than I did before starting making my own --
constantly buying commercial wines to compare with my own...

Bart

..

"Weez" > wrote in message
.. .
> Hobby too...
> Although it started out as my hubbie's hobby and I took over, I found it
> more interesting than he did, I make it he drinks it, works out perfectly!
> Louise)
> --
>

> "KD" > wrote in message
> > Hobbyist here too, just started about six months ago after thinking

about
> > it for a couple of years (and thinking it would be too hard!).

Fortunately
> > I saved all my store-bought wine bottles while I thought about it.

I've
> > made mostly kits up to this point, but I currently have a batch of mead
> > and some apple wine from fresh pressed apples on the go.
> >
> > KD
> >
> > Nova Scotia, Canada
> >

> > "Joe" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> >> I'm a hobbyist located in New Jersey, USA.
> >>
> >> I've been at it for about 2 years. I started because I really wanted

> >> try dandelion wine and making my own seemed to be the only way that

would
> >> happen. I also make wine from the wineberries (wild raspberries) that
> >> grow wild in abundance all around me. And I do other non-grape wines -

> >> like being able to make wines that can't be found found in the local
> >> liquor store.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Joe
> >> http://www.joekaz.net/
> >> http://www.cafepress.com/joekaz

bwesley7

I'm a Safety/Health/Environmental ("SHE") Manager for a mid-size chemical
company. Started making wine with native pears from trees on family
property several years ago, then expanded into kits and experimented with
numerous other fruits, eventually returning to and concentrating on pear,
Welsh concentrates, and selected kits. Great hobby(!), but in truth I
probably spend more on wine now than I did before starting making my own --
constantly buying commercial wines to compare with my own...

Bart

..

"Weez" > wrote in message
.. .
> Hobby too...
> Although it started out as my hubbie's hobby and I took over, I found it
> more interesting than he did, I make it he drinks it, works out perfectly!
> Louise)
> --
>

> "KD" > wrote in message
> > Hobbyist here too, just started about six months ago after thinking

about
> > it for a couple of years (and thinking it would be too hard!).

Fortunately
> > I saved all my store-bought wine bottles while I thought about it.

I've
> > made mostly kits up to this point, but I currently have a batch of mead
> > and some apple wine from fresh pressed apples on the go.
> >
> > KD
> >
> > Nova Scotia, Canada
> >

> > "Joe" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> >> I'm a hobbyist located in New Jersey, USA.
> >>
> >> I've been at it for about 2 years. I started because I really wanted

> >> try dandelion wine and making my own seemed to be the only way that

would
> >> happen. I also make wine from the wineberries (wild raspberries) that
> >> grow wild in abundance all around me. And I do other non-grape wines -

> >> like being able to make wines that can't be found found in the local
> >> liquor store.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Joe
> >> http://www.joekaz.net/
> >> http://www.cafepress.com/joekaz

Gary

Greetings, All.

I have been lurking around this NG for several years, having started
winemaking and brewing as a hobby in Denver, CO about 15 years ago. I now
live in Charlotte, NC and am more committed to the hobby than ever. I make
about 50 gallons of wine per year (mostly from concentrates) and about 10
gallons of beer. My profession is managing Data Administration at a local
large bank, and my undergraduate degree is in engineering. Who would have
ever thought that my college chemistry courses would help me make better
wine?

Gary Flye
Charlotte, NC

P.S. I have learned more from your collective wisdom than from any of the
many books on winemaking in my library. Many thanks!

http://home.carolina.rr.com/winemaking/

"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

Gary

Greetings, All.

I have been lurking around this NG for several years, having started
winemaking and brewing as a hobby in Denver, CO about 15 years ago. I now
live in Charlotte, NC and am more committed to the hobby than ever. I make
about 50 gallons of wine per year (mostly from concentrates) and about 10
gallons of beer. My profession is managing Data Administration at a local
large bank, and my undergraduate degree is in engineering. Who would have
ever thought that my college chemistry courses would help me make better
wine?

Gary Flye
Charlotte, NC

P.S. I have learned more from your collective wisdom than from any of the
many books on winemaking in my library. Many thanks!

http://home.carolina.rr.com/winemaking/

"Rudolph R?ttger" > wrote in message
om...
> Hey Group.
>
> I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
> time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers,
> or just interested alot in that topic?
>
> I btw am german, studying winemaking in Austria.
>
> Sorry for this a little off-topic post,
>
> Rudolph F. Rüttger

Robin Somes

In message >, Rudolph
R?ttger > writes
>I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
>time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers, or
>just interested alot in that topic

Well, I'm strictly a hobbyist. I'm in to my 3rd season now; I was really
moved to start after my father died, and I realised I wasn't going to
get his sloe wine any more, unless I did something about it
personally... Mostly I make fruit wines; sloe, plum, damson, blackberry,
apple, although this year I've also made a couple of gallons of grape,
for the first time. I tend to like a very full-bodied wine, and imagine
that anything under 16% alcohol is a bit lightweight. Maybe I'll grow
out of it. I've got roughly 25 gallons in total maturing now, and a
stock of 40-50 bottles over from 2003. In commercially produced wine, I
only drink reds, preferring Shiraz Cab, Garnacha, Rioja, Pinot Noir,
Durif, and so on; given the choice I'd drink Australian. For work, I'm
sort of a cross between a marine biologist, photographer and web
designer, based on the south coast of England.

cheers,
robin
--
www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk
Robin Somes

In message >, Rudolph
R?ttger > writes
>I've been reading you for quite a while, and been wondering all the
>time who the posters are. Professional Winemakers, Hobby-Winemakers, or
>just interested alot in that topic

Well, I'm strictly a hobbyist. I'm in to my 3rd season now; I was really
moved to start after my father died, and I realised I wasn't going to
get his sloe wine any more, unless I did something about it
personally... Mostly I make fruit wines; sloe, plum, damson, blackberry,
apple, although this year I've also made a couple of gallons of grape,
for the first time. I tend to like a very full-bodied wine, and imagine
that anything under 16% alcohol is a bit lightweight. Maybe I'll grow
out of it. I've got roughly 25 gallons in total maturing now, and a
stock of 40-50 bottles over from 2003. In commercially produced wine, I
only drink reds, preferring Shiraz Cab, Garnacha, Rioja, Pinot Noir,
Durif, and so on; given the choice I'd drink Australian. For work, I'm
sort of a cross between a marine biologist, photographer and web
designer, based on the south coast of England.

cheers,
robin
--
www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk
www.amazonian-fish.co.uk www.pisces-conservation.com
www.irchouse.demon.co.uk www.blackwell-science.com/southwood
Trust me, I'm a webmaster...

On Topic post about Off Topic Posts (that no one responded to inanother thread) Tommy Joe General Cooking 40 24-09-2012 03:07 AM
[OT] ... but seriously Off Topic ... Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 12 02-08-2009 09:12 PM
Off Topic? Welsh Dog General Cooking 2 02-07-2009 03:01 PM
Off Topic/On Topic: Disgusting - Monkey Meat Recipe Dee.Dee General Cooking 7 18-11-2007 06:11 PM