Garry Nixon

Default Comfrey Leaf Wine?

I'm going to have a couple of kilos of Comfrey foliage to play with (see my
blog http://pigstyave.blogspot.com/ for the story), and wondered if any one
knows if it's advisable to make wine from it?

I found a reference on the internet to comfrey root wine, but that's not
what I've got to spare.

Thanks!

Garry

Henriette Kress

"Garry Nixon" > wrote:

> I'm going to have a couple of kilos of Comfrey foliage to play with (see my
> blog http://pigstyave.blogspot.com/ for the story), and wondered if any one
> knows if it's advisable to make wine from it?

Read up on livertoxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Henriette Kress

"Garry Nixon" > wrote:

> I'm going to have a couple of kilos of Comfrey foliage to play with (see my
> blog http://pigstyave.blogspot.com/ for the story), and wondered if any one
> knows if it's advisable to make wine from it?

Read up on livertoxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Henriette's herbal blog: http://www.henriettesherbal.com/blog
Ray Calvert

I bet that stuff would mellow you out! ;o)

To be serious, I would suggest you check with the Meadmaking group. In
ancient times they made a lot of mead with herbs. Both for medicinal and
pleasure. Might be interesting.

Ray

"Garry Nixon" > wrote in message
.uk...
> I'm going to have a couple of kilos of Comfrey foliage to play with (see
> my blog http://pigstyave.blogspot.com/ for the story), and wondered if any
> one knows if it's advisable to make wine from it?
>
> I found a reference on the internet to comfrey root wine, but that's not
> what I've got to spare.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Garry

Garry Nixon

> Read up on livertoxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids.

Thanks. Have done. At length. See pig sty ave for brief resume. i'd take
the risk, but wouldn't have friends and loved ones do so

So far as i can ascertain, no-one's done any research on the effect of
alcoholic fermentation on pyrrolizidine alkaloids.

Does any one know if there's any web accesible literature on the whole
subject of what happens to herbs' multifarious properties when you chop the
blighters up and turn 'em into wine?

Cheers!

Garry http://pigstyave.blogspot.com/

Garry Nixon

> Read up on livertoxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids.

Thanks. Have done. At length. See pig sty ave for brief resume. i'd take
the risk, but wouldn't have friends and loved ones do so

So far as i can ascertain, no-one's done any research on the effect of
alcoholic fermentation on pyrrolizidine alkaloids.

Does any one know if there's any web accesible literature on the whole
subject of what happens to herbs' multifarious properties when you chop the
blighters up and turn 'em into wine?

Cheers!

Garry http://pigstyave.blogspot.com/

Garry Nixon

Thanks - have posted mead makers.

"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
om...
>I bet that stuff would mellow you out! ;o)
>
> To be serious, I would suggest you check with the Meadmaking group. In
> ancient times they made a lot of mead with herbs. Both for medicinal and
> pleasure. Might be interesting.
>
> Ray
>
> "Garry Nixon" > wrote in message
> .uk...
>> I'm going to have a couple of kilos of Comfrey foliage to play with (see
>> my blog http://pigstyave.blogspot.com/ for the story), and wondered if
>> any one knows if it's advisable to make wine from it?
>>
>> I found a reference on the internet to comfrey root wine, but that's not
>> what I've got to spare.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Garry

Henriette Kress

"Garry Nixon" > wrote:

> > Read up on livertoxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids.

> So far as i can ascertain, no-one's done any research on the effect of
> alcoholic fermentation on pyrrolizidine alkaloids.

.... you know, alkaloids. Caffeine, nicotine, morphine, codeine, cocaine, etc.

They're rather sturdy; nicotine comes through burning, caffeine can take hours
of cooking, etc. - there are other plants to make into wine, where you won't
have to wonder about possible livertoxicity.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Henriette's herbal blog: http://www.henriettesherbal.com/blog
Henriette Kress

"Garry Nixon" > wrote:

> > Read up on livertoxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids.

> So far as i can ascertain, no-one's done any research on the effect of
> alcoholic fermentation on pyrrolizidine alkaloids.

.... you know, alkaloids. Caffeine, nicotine, morphine, codeine, cocaine, etc.

They're rather sturdy; nicotine comes through burning, caffeine can take hours
of cooking, etc. - there are other plants to make into wine, where you won't
have to wonder about possible livertoxicity.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Henriette's herbal blog: http://www.henriettesherbal.com/blog

Walnut leaf wine body Droopy Winemaking 9 15-10-2020 05:30 AM
Too much Bay Leaf? Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 2 28-05-2016 04:03 AM
Green tea leaf particle and leaf size Tea Sunrise Tea 14 24-09-2007 08:24 PM
Bay leaf Puester General Cooking 55 15-12-2004 06:40 PM
Lime leaf wine recipe Lj Winemaking 1 21-03-2004 12:54 AM