Jim

Default Dry Airlocks

I saw a posting for a liquid to put in air locks to reduce evaporation
but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was, could anyone
help me out. I have been using a potassium metabisulphite and water
solution but it seams to evaporate quickly.
J Dixon

Jim,
Some add glycerin to inhibit evaporation.HTH
John Dixon
"Jim" > wrote in message
news
> I saw a posting for a liquid to put in air locks to reduce evaporation
> but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was, could anyone
> help me out. I have been using a potassium metabisulphite and water
> solution but it seams to evaporate quickly.

J Dixon

Jim,
Some add glycerin to inhibit evaporation.HTH
John Dixon
"Jim" > wrote in message
news
> I saw a posting for a liquid to put in air locks to reduce evaporation
> but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was, could anyone
> help me out. I have been using a potassium metabisulphite and water
> solution but it seams to evaporate quickly.

J Dixon

Jim,
Some add glycerin to inhibit evaporation.HTH
John Dixon
"Jim" > wrote in message
news
> I saw a posting for a liquid to put in air locks to reduce evaporation
> but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was, could anyone
> help me out. I have been using a potassium metabisulphite and water
> solution but it seams to evaporate quickly.

Jim

John is that straight glycerin or a blend of glycerin and water and if
so how much half and half?

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:45:00 -0500, "J Dixon"
> wrote:

>Jim,
> Some add glycerin to inhibit evaporation.HTH
>John Dixon
>"Jim" > wrote in message
>news
>> I saw a posting for a liquid to put in air locks to reduce evaporation
>> but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was, could anyone
>> help me out. I have been using a potassium metabisulphite and water
>> solution but it seams to evaporate quickly.

J Dixon

Jim,
I have seen it suggested to use it 1:1 with sulphited water, and also I
have seen some use glycerin undiluted. Just make sure it is food grade. HTH
John Dixon
"Jim" > wrote in message
> John is that straight glycerin or a blend of glycerin and water and if
> so how much half and half?
>
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:45:00 -0500, "J Dixon"
> > wrote:
>
> >Jim,
> > Some add glycerin to inhibit evaporation.HTH
> >John Dixon
> >"Jim" > wrote in message
> >news
> >> I saw a posting for a liquid to put in air locks to reduce evaporation
> >> but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was, could anyone
> >> help me out. I have been using a potassium metabisulphite and water
> >> solution but it seams to evaporate quickly.

J Dixon

"Jim" > wrote in message
> John is that straight glycerin or a blend of glycerin and water and if
> so how much half and half?
>
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:45:00 -0500, "J Dixon"
> > wrote:
>
> >Jim,
> > Some add glycerin to inhibit evaporation.HTH
> >John Dixon
> >"Jim" > wrote in message
> >news
> >> I saw a posting for a liquid to put in air locks to reduce evaporation
> >> but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was, could anyone
> >> help me out. I have been using a potassium metabisulphite and water
> >> solution but it seams to evaporate quickly.

J Dixon

"Jim" > wrote in message
> John is that straight glycerin or a blend of glycerin and water and if
> so how much half and half?
>
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:45:00 -0500, "J Dixon"
> > wrote:
>
> >Jim,
> > Some add glycerin to inhibit evaporation.HTH
> >John Dixon
> >"Jim" > wrote in message
> >news
> >> I saw a posting for a liquid to put in air locks to reduce evaporation
> >> but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was, could anyone
> >> help me out. I have been using a potassium metabisulphite and water
> >> solution but it seams to evaporate quickly.

Bob

"J Dixon" > wrote in message
> Jim,
> Some add glycerin to inhibit evaporation.

Glycerin is not only not able to evaporate at room temps, but it is also
hygroscopic, means it soaks up water from the air.

HTH
> John Dixon
> "Jim" > wrote in message
> news
> > I saw a posting for a liquid to put in air locks to reduce evaporation
> > but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was, could anyone
> > help me out. I have been using a potassium metabisulphite and water
> > solution but it seams to evaporate quickly.

pinky

I must confess that I never have used glycerine as an additive to my
fermentation locks. I always ensure that the solution of Sodium/potassium
Metabisulphite occupies a good measure of the available "u bend". I always
cap my locks with a suitable cap which seems to prevent major evaporation
loss. Clearly there is virtually no activity in the wine except for
expansion and contraction of the bulk of the wine and I ensure that the
quantity of solution is such that there will be no "suck back" into my
wine -- just air in extreme circumstances -- but then the head space above
my wine is minimal..
I should be more worried about suck back of a glycerine solution than of SO2
solution

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England
"Bob" > wrote in message
...<snip><snip>

Bob

"pinky" > wrote in message
. uk...
> I must confess that I never have used glycerine as an additive to my
> fermentation locks. I always ensure that the solution of Sodium/potassium
> Metabisulphite occupies a good measure of the available "u bend". I always
> cap my locks with a suitable cap which seems to prevent major evaporation
> loss. Clearly there is virtually no activity in the wine except for
> expansion and contraction of the bulk of the wine and I ensure that the
> quantity of solution is such that there will be no "suck back" into my
> wine -- just air in extreme circumstances -- but then the head space above
> my wine is minimal..
> I should be more worried about suck back of a glycerine solution than of

SO2
> solution

Glycerine is a perfectly normal natural chemical and is even added to
many wines to give them body and sweetness. Don't worry, be happy!
> --
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire, England
> Remove "PSANTISPAM" from my address line to reply.
> All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
> Anti Virus for your protection too!
> "Bob" > wrote in message
> ...<snip><snip>

Bob

"pinky" > wrote in message
. uk...
> I must confess that I never have used glycerine as an additive to my
> fermentation locks. I always ensure that the solution of Sodium/potassium
> Metabisulphite occupies a good measure of the available "u bend". I always
> cap my locks with a suitable cap which seems to prevent major evaporation
> loss. Clearly there is virtually no activity in the wine except for
> expansion and contraction of the bulk of the wine and I ensure that the
> quantity of solution is such that there will be no "suck back" into my
> wine -- just air in extreme circumstances -- but then the head space above
> my wine is minimal..
> I should be more worried about suck back of a glycerine solution than of

SO2
> solution

Glycerine is a perfectly normal natural chemical and is even added to
many wines to give them body and sweetness. Don't worry, be happy!
> --
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire, England
> Remove "PSANTISPAM" from my address line to reply.
> All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
> Anti Virus for your protection too!
> "Bob" > wrote in message
> ...<snip><snip>

Bob

"pinky" > wrote in message
. uk...
> I must confess that I never have used glycerine as an additive to my
> fermentation locks. I always ensure that the solution of Sodium/potassium
> Metabisulphite occupies a good measure of the available "u bend". I always
> cap my locks with a suitable cap which seems to prevent major evaporation
> loss. Clearly there is virtually no activity in the wine except for
> expansion and contraction of the bulk of the wine and I ensure that the
> quantity of solution is such that there will be no "suck back" into my
> wine -- just air in extreme circumstances -- but then the head space above
> my wine is minimal..
> I should be more worried about suck back of a glycerine solution than of

SO2
> solution

Glycerine is a perfectly normal natural chemical and is even added to
many wines to give them body and sweetness. Don't worry, be happy!
> --
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire, England
> Remove "PSANTISPAM" from my address line to reply.
> All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
> Anti Virus for your protection too!
> "Bob" > wrote in message
> ...<snip><snip>

J Dixon

Bob, Cant say for fact, but I am relatively sure that there is more than one
form of Glycerin as I have seen it specifically stated to acquire "food
grade". HTH
John Dixon

"Bob" > wrote in message

> "pinky" > wrote in message
> . uk...
> > I must confess that I never have used glycerine as an additive to my
> > fermentation locks. I always ensure that the solution of

Sodium/potassium
> > Metabisulphite occupies a good measure of the available "u bend". I

always
> > cap my locks with a suitable cap which seems to prevent major

evaporation
> > loss. Clearly there is virtually no activity in the wine except for
> > expansion and contraction of the bulk of the wine and I ensure that the
> > quantity of solution is such that there will be no "suck back" into my
> > wine -- just air in extreme circumstances -- but then the head space

above
> > my wine is minimal..
> > I should be more worried about suck back of a glycerine solution than of

> SO2
> > solution

> Glycerine is a perfectly normal natural chemical and is even added to
> many wines to give them body and sweetness. Don't worry, be happy!
> > --
> > Trevor A Panther
> > In South Yorkshire, England
> > Remove "PSANTISPAM" from my address line to reply.
> > All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
> > Anti Virus for your protection too!
> > "Bob" > wrote in message
> > ...<snip><snip>

Doug

I think glycerin is glycerin. It's a chemical compound (I can't quote
the atomic composition). I think the reason to use "food grade"
glycerin is that you want to assure that any impurities in the product
won't be hazardous to human health. Many chemicals come in lower
quality grades for industrial purposes - the purest ones are used for
pharmaceuticals and in food processing. You should be able to find
"food grade" glycerin at most drug stores (look for the initials USP
somewhere on the label).

Doug

"J Dixon" > wrote in message >...
> Bob, Cant say for fact, but I am relatively sure that there is more than one
> form of Glycerin as I have seen it specifically stated to acquire "food
> grade". HTH
> John Dixon

Doug

"J Dixon" > wrote in message >...
> Bob, Cant say for fact, but I am relatively sure that there is more than one
> form of Glycerin as I have seen it specifically stated to acquire "food
> grade". HTH
> John Dixon

pinky

Oh I am not concerned about the glycerine "tainting" the wine --I just
wouldn't want it to affect the body of the wine that I have gone to great
lengths to be crisp and dry. I do use glycerine as a additive to my homemade
liqueurs to improve the "mouth feel" but I use sugar to adjust the sweetness
in them.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England
Remove "PSANTISPAM" from my address line to reply.
All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
Anti Virus for your protection too!
"Bob" > wrote in message

<snip><snip>
> Glycerine is a perfectly normal natural chemical and is even added to
> many wines to give them body and sweetness. Don't worry, be happy!
>> --
>> "Bob" > wrote in message
>> ...<snip><snip>

pinky

Oh I am not concerned about the glycerine "tainting" the wine --I just
wouldn't want it to affect the body of the wine that I have gone to great
lengths to be crisp and dry. I do use glycerine as a additive to my homemade
liqueurs to improve the "mouth feel" but I use sugar to adjust the sweetness
in them.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England
Remove "PSANTISPAM" from my address line to reply.
All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
Anti Virus for your protection too!
"Bob" > wrote in message

<snip><snip>
> Glycerine is a perfectly normal natural chemical and is even added to
> many wines to give them body and sweetness. Don't worry, be happy!
>> --
>> "Bob" > wrote in message
>> ...<snip><snip>

Bob

"Doug" > wrote in message
om...
> I think glycerin is glycerin. It's a chemical compound (I can't quote
> the atomic composition). I think the reason to use "food grade"
> glycerin is that you want to assure that any impurities in the product
> won't be hazardous to human health. Many chemicals come in lower
> quality grades for industrial purposes - the purest ones are used for
> pharmaceuticals and in food processing. You should be able to find
> "food grade" glycerin at most drug stores (look for the initials USP
> somewhere on the label).

Glycerin can be a by-product of beef fat IIRC, but most glycerin is
vegetable glycerin. I have no idea what plant it would come from, and my
books all seem to imply that it is only from animal fats. <sigh> So much for
my remembery....

> Doug
>

> "J Dixon" > wrote in message

> > Bob, Cant say for fact, but I am relatively sure that there is more than

one
> > form of Glycerin as I have seen it specifically stated to acquire "food
> > grade". HTH
> > John Dixon

Bob

om...