Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Know your blueberries - make better blueberry wine

Thinking about blueberry wine this year. It's still early, but I'm
using the time to gather information about blueberries. Here's what I
have so far:

http://www.washingtonwinemaker.com/b...s-blueberries/

There's good data on soluble solids, sugar, and titratable acidity.
I'm still looking for good sources on pectin content and pH. If you
know of any, please let me know.
-------
Erroll
http://www.washingtonwinemaker.com
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Apr 10, 1:11*pm, Erroll Ozgencil > wrote:
> Thinking about blueberry wine this year. It's still early, but I'm
> using the time to gather information about blueberries. Here's what I
> have so far:
>
> http://www.washingtonwinemaker.com/b...-your-ingredie...
>
> There's good data on soluble solids, sugar, and titratable acidity.
> I'm still looking for good sources on pectin content and pH. If you
> know of any, please let me know.
> -------
> Errollhttp://www.washingtonwinemaker.com

What types of blueberries do have. They all have alittle different
characteristic.
I made blueberry wine, with berries collected from 4 different types.
Some of they were sweet and spicy, one was sweet and very juicy and
big in size.
Then you have ruebel- small- big on flavor and alittle sweet. Used for
making pies and such.
I added enough white sugar alone to get me to 10% alc. Anything above
that added by the fruit was a bonus.
I treated the blueberries as a medium pectin level and acid level. The
wine fermented very well.
Use a wine yeast that accents red fruits.
The wine finished 14-16%. Let age awhile with freshly bruised
blueberries in it.
Came very dark, but clear. Used ascorbic acid and citric to balance
wine with tanning.
All who had it wanted more.. 5 gallons did not last long
Hope I helped..

Dave Whitney