I have 500+ cookbooks, and have never seen a recipe for a pie using
dried blueberries, but I DID seen a recipe for something called "Schnitz
(sp?) Pie." Since schnitz is what the Amish call dried apples, perhaps
you can try that, substituting the dried blueberries.

Unfortunately, I have no idea of where I saw that recipe....but you can
either Google it, or look in a Penn Dutch cookbook.

Julia Altshuler

Ellie C wrote:
> Is it possible to make a blueberry pie using dried blueberries instead
> of fresh ones? I can't get fresh blueberries but I have several packages
> of dried. I've Googled for a recipe for blueberry pie made with dried
> berries but came up with nothing. Anyone tried this?

I've never tried it and don't have a recipe but do have a caveat. Look
at the package of dried blueberries and see if they have sugar added.
Dried fruits often do. When experimenting with substitution, take that
into account.

I prefer using dried fruits in compotes rather than pie. Reconstitute
with a little water or perhaps some brandy. Heat on top of the stove;
mash or puree or chop. Thicken with corn starch. Serve with whipped cream.

--Lia

Mpoconnor7

Default Making Blueberry Pie with Dried Blueberries

>Is it possible to make a blueberry pie using dried blueberries instead
>of fresh ones? I can't get fresh blueberries but I have several packages
>of dried

I made an fruit crisp recently (apple-cranberry-strawberry-blueberry) and the
store had bags of dried cranberries and blueberries on sale and I went with the
dried. I was thinking that when I make this crisp normally that it gives off
an abnormal amount of liquid in the cooking processs and the dried fruit would
absorb much of the excess juices. The cranberries did absorb the liquid and
reconstitute to nearly normal size, and although the blueberries did rehydrade
they were still the size of capers once it was cooked although the fruit crisp
was still delicious.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"I actually thought about voting for John Kerry before I decided to vote
against him."
Mpoconnor7

>Is it possible to make a blueberry pie using dried blueberries instead
>of fresh ones? I can't get fresh blueberries but I have several packages
>of dried

I made an fruit crisp recently (apple-cranberry-strawberry-blueberry) and the
store had bags of dried cranberries and blueberries on sale and I went with the
dried. I was thinking that when I make this crisp normally that it gives off
an abnormal amount of liquid in the cooking processs and the dried fruit would
absorb much of the excess juices. The cranberries did absorb the liquid and
reconstitute to nearly normal size, and although the blueberries did rehydrade
they were still the size of capers once it was cooked although the fruit crisp
was still delicious.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"I actually thought about voting for John Kerry before I decided to vote
against him."
Ellie C

Scott wrote:
> [...]

> and press to make flat. You may freeze or chill.
>
> Rolling out dough:
> When ready, make sure your work surface is cool. Dust lightly with flour
> as well as your rolling pin. Cut dough in half with a knife. Return one
> half to fridge.
>
> With your rolling pin, pound on the dough to flatten and soften. Rotate
> after each pounding or two. If the dough begins to stick, add a touch of
> flour. When it's flattened by an inch or so, you may begin to roll out.
> Begin from center, always. After each roll, rotate dough and check for
> stickiness. Roll until you have approximately a 12-inch circle shape
> about 1/4 inch thick.
>
> Fold the circle in half or in quarters and place into your pie plate.
> Unfold and mold to the plate, pressing gently. Make sure you leave a
> border on the sides that can connect with the top crust, but trim any
> hanging dough with scissors or knife.
>
> Now it's time to "blind bake." Place a piece of parchment paper that's
> been trimmed to fit inside the pie plate and fill the paper with dried
> beans or rice. This helps to weigh down dough so it doesn't leaven all
> the way.
> Place pie plate into a preheated oven of approximately 400. Keep an eye
> on the crust. You want it to get slightly tan, not really brown. This
> will take about 10 minutes.
>
> Remove from oven. Brush crust with one egg white. This will give some
> moisture to the crust. Now it's time to make your filling.
>
> Filling:
> Combine the following: 1/2 cup sugar, 2 T cornstarch, 2 tsp. lemon zest,
> 2 T lemon juice (from your lemons is best! Zest first) and a pinch of
> salt. To that, add 4 cups washed and dried blueberries. Mix to coat
> berries evenly. Cinnamon is optional but adds a nice touch.
>
> Fill your blindly-baked pie crust.
>
> Now it's time to roll out top crust and cover the filling. Roll and fold
> just as we did with the bottom crust. Then score the dough with a paring
> knife. You may even create a vent in the center with your knife. Egg
> white wash on top is a good idea to add sheen and gloss and to prevent
> crust from drying out.
>
> Pie goes into 400 degree oven. It is a good idea to place on a baking
> stone or baking sheet to catch oozing juices. If you notice the top
> crust browning quickly, you may turn down heat a bit and you may also
> cover pie with a foil tent. Just make sure to allow for some ventilation.
>
> Bake until fruit is bubbling, which will take just under one hour. Let
> cool, despite the temptation. A pie on the cooler side of warm holds
> together and the flavors have a chance to come together. Enjoy. It's pie.
>
> Extra pointer: If it's really hot in your kitchen, put EVERYTHING in the
> fridge or freezer to chill, including all of your ingredients and tools.
> The cooler, the better.
>
> Copyright 2002 The Washington Post Company

Looks like a good recipe, but it's for pie made with washed and dried
blueberries, which are fresh bluberries that are washed and then dried.
Dried blueberries are dried fruit - like raisins.