Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Fermentation

Can this still be fermenting without the bubbling and frothing?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article > ,
"Tom Kunich" > wrote:

> Can this still be fermenting without the bubbling and frothing?

Do you have a fermentation lock on it? If yes, you should see the cap in
the lock go up and down, if it is still fermenting. It could also be
residual dissolved CO2, but it would be slowing down.

If you think you could drink it, I'd SO2 it before it spoils.
--
- Billy
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

http://peace.mennolink.org/articles/...acegroups.html
http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth...130964689.html

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Billy" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Tom Kunich" > wrote:
>
>> Can this still be fermenting without the bubbling and frothing?

> Do you have a fermentation lock on it? If yes, you should see the cap in
> the lock go up and down, if it is still fermenting. It could also be
> residual dissolved CO2, but it would be slowing down.

It is only on the third day of fermentation. At nighttime the temperature
did get down to 60 degrees F.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article > ,
"Tom Kunich" > wrote:

> "Billy" > wrote in message
> > In article > ,
> > "Tom Kunich" > wrote:
> >
> >> Can this still be fermenting without the bubbling and frothing?

> > Do you have a fermentation lock on it? If yes, you should see the cap in
> > the lock go up and down, if it is still fermenting. It could also be
> > residual dissolved CO2, but it would be slowing down.

> It is only on the third day of fermentation. At nighttime the temperature
> did get down to 60 degrees F.

Well that is where you threw me, when you asked,"Can this still be
fermenting". I thought to "still" be fermenting, it would have to have
been fermenting once.

No problem. Do have a thermometer for taking the temperature of the
must? Seventy-five to eighty degrees fahrenheit would be a good temp to
start at. A cool fermentation will help retain the fruitiness of the
fruit.

Wait a couple of more days. If it doesn't start fermenting, you may need
to make a new yeast starter (inoculate). It should be 1/2 juice, 1/2
water and it should be about 102F when you add the yeast (1 kg/1000
gal). Let it work for twenty minutes. It should make a head, and then
add to must.

Good luck.
--
- Billy
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

http://peace.mennolink.org/articles/...acegroups.html
http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth...130964689.html

Member

Chemical reactions within yeast are facilitated by enzymes, which are large organic catalysts. Each enzyme has an "optimal temperature range" -- a temperature range at which it performs best. For many enzymes, the optimal temperature range is what we would perceive as warm -- about the same as normal internal human body temperature.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"woodjutt" > wrote in message

> Chemical reactions within yeast are facilitated by enzymes, which are
> large organic catalysts. Each enzyme has an "optimal temperature range"
> -- a temperature range at which it performs best. For many enzymes, the
> optimal temperature range is what we would perceive as warm -- about the
> same as normal internal human body temperature.

For the first three days it was bubbling and boiling away like crazy and
then went dead when I had that cool night. But after it warmed up again it
took off. Only this time I put a child heating pad under it so that it
wouldn't cool down at night.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article > ,
"Tom Kunich" > wrote:

> "woodjutt" > wrote in message
> >
> > Chemical reactions within yeast are facilitated by enzymes, which are
> > large organic catalysts. Each enzyme has an "optimal temperature range"
> > -- a temperature range at which it performs best. For many enzymes, the
> > optimal temperature range is what we would perceive as warm -- about the
> > same as normal internal human body temperature.

> For the first three days it was bubbling and boiling away like crazy and
> then went dead when I had that cool night. But after it warmed up again it
> took off. Only this time I put a child heating pad under it so that it
> wouldn't cool down at night.

Your "story" keeps changing.

fermentation Rick Winemaking 4 22-07-2006 02:57 PM
Fermentation help Winemaking 2 23-09-2005 05:39 PM
Fermentation Bob Bart Winemaking 14 15-02-2005 09:49 PM
ML Fermentation Q Peter Muto Winemaking 7 03-01-2005 05:52 PM
Perry Fermentation - natural yeasts and malo-latic fermentation norm Winemaking 1 30-04-2004 01:52 PM