Peter Muto

Default ML Fermentation Q

Hi

I've had my wine (CS, CF, Merlot separately) going through Malo for
exactly 4 weeks. They have remained consistently at a tempature
between 18-20 degrees Centigrade.

I do not have the paper chromotography and will not be able to get
some in the near future.

How likely is it the wines have finished malo?

Would it be fairly safe to rack, and sulphite/stabilize to end
fermentation and begin bulk ageing? Or would I be premature?

Thanks

Peter
Tom S

"Peter Muto" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi
>
> I've had my wine (CS, CF, Merlot separately) going through Malo for
> exactly 4 weeks. They have remained consistently at a tempature
> between 18-20 degrees Centigrade.
>
> I do not have the paper chromotography and will not be able to get
> some in the near future.
>
> How likely is it the wines have finished malo?

If it's still fizzing, it isn't finished.

> Would it be fairly safe to rack, and sulphite/stabilize to end
> fermentation and begin bulk aging? Or would I be premature?

What's the hurry? It's under airlock in carboy, isn't it?

BTW, sulfite = good. Stabilizer = bad. There's never any need to add
"stabilizer" (sorbate) to a dry wine. Many people can taste it, and it
doesn't taste good to them.

Tom S

Tom S

om...

Tom S wrote:
> "Peter Muto" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi
> >
> > I've had my wine (CS, CF, Merlot separately) going through Malo for
> > exactly 4 weeks. They have remained consistently at a tempature
> > between 18-20 degrees Centigrade.
> >
> > I do not have the paper chromotography and will not be able to get
> > some in the near future.
> >
> > How likely is it the wines have finished malo?

> If it's still fizzing, it isn't finished.

It's not fizzing at this point. The wine is quite still and I observed
for about 5 mins and saw no bubbles/fizz.
I think I'm going to have to hope the ML is done as due to my father's
need to make sausage, he has to cool the cellar (and make room) so I'm
not sure what else I can do.
I guess leaving the wine as is, and letting any male resume when the
cellar temps rises in the spring but I'm very worried about the wine
going that long without sulphite and the risk of spoilage/bacteria, a
problem we've had in the past.

> > Would it be fairly safe to rack, and sulphite/stabilize to end
> > fermentation and begin bulk aging? Or would I be premature?

> What's the hurry? It's under airlock in carboy, isn't it?
>
> BTW, sulfite = good. Stabilizer = bad. There's never any need to

add
> "stabilizer" (sorbate) to a dry wine. Many people can taste it, and

it
> doesn't taste good to them.
>
> Tom S

Thanks, I will sulphite it only.

giorgiopic

I have a few questions about your wine. Is it from this past Fall's
grapes and are you planning to do a Bordeaux blend?
You'll want to age them separately in the carboys until at least next
fall to see what it it like before doing your Bordeaux blend.
In the meanwhile, either get the Chromoto-- kit and test or if you
like the effect of the malo to date, add the appropriate amount of
Lysozyme and some sulphite to completely stop and prevent any further
malo fermentation.

Tom S

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Tom S wrote:
>> "Peter Muto" > wrote in message
>> om...
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I've had my wine (CS, CF, Merlot separately) going through Malo for
>> > exactly 4 weeks. They have remained consistently at a tempature
>> > between 18-20 degrees Centigrade.
>> >
>> > I do not have the paper chromotography and will not be able to get
>> > some in the near future.
>> >
>> > How likely is it the wines have finished malo?

>> If it's still fizzing, it isn't finished.

> It's not fizzing at this point. The wine is quite still and I observed
> for about 5 mins and saw no bubbles/fizz.
> I think I'm going to have to hope the ML is done as due to my father's
> need to make sausage, he has to cool the cellar (and make room) so I'm
> not sure what else I can do.

> I'm very worried about the wine
> going that long without sulphite and the risk of spoilage/bacteria, a
> problem we've had in the past.

Measure the pH and sulfite the wine appropriately. Keep it topped up.
Racking it now would be a good idea too. Top up with a similar wine if you
don't have any extra of the same.

Tom S

Tom S wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Tom S wrote:
> >> "Peter Muto" > wrote in message
> >> om...

for

get

> >> If it's still fizzing, it isn't finished.

> > It's not fizzing at this point. The wine is quite still and I

observed
> > for about 5 mins and saw no bubbles/fizz.
> > I think I'm going to have to hope the ML is done as due to my

father's
> > need to make sausage, he has to cool the cellar (and make room) so

I'm
> > not sure what else I can do.

> > I'm very worried about the wine
> > going that long without sulphite and the risk of spoilage/bacteria,

> > problem we've had in the past.

> Measure the pH and sulfite the wine appropriately. Keep it topped

up.
> Racking it now would be a good idea too. Top up with a similar wine

if you
> don't have any extra of the same.
>
> Tom S

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

Peter

Fermentation Tom Kunich Winemaking 6 09-02-2011 10:11 PM
fermentation Rick Winemaking 4 22-07-2006 02:57 PM
Fermentation help Winemaking 2 23-09-2005 05:39 PM
Fermentation Bob Bart Winemaking 14 15-02-2005 08:49 PM
Perry Fermentation - natural yeasts and malo-latic fermentation norm Winemaking 1 30-04-2004 01:52 PM