Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default cloudy wine

Im an experienced home fruit wine maker and my usual wine is Braeburn
apple. I've never had a problem making this and it always turns out
exceptional. Recently I decided to move sideways a bit and make wine
from Granny Smith apples. All went well until a fews after I bottled
it and I noticed that it's started to turn very slightly hazy. I
filtered it through Boots fine filters and it brought back its crystal
clear clarity. However, a few days on, it's starting to go hazy again.
Can anyone help? My procedures are the same as for making Braeburn and
I'm very strict on cleanliness, etc.

Thanks in advance.

McKevvy
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >, McKevvy > wrote:
>Im an experienced home fruit wine maker and my usual wine is Braeburn
>apple. I've never had a problem making this and it always turns out
>exceptional. Recently I decided to move sideways a bit and make wine
>from Granny Smith apples. All went well until a fews after I bottled
>it and I noticed that it's started to turn very slightly hazy. I
>filtered it through Boots fine filters and it brought back its crystal
>clear clarity. However, a few days on, it's starting to go hazy again.
>Can anyone help? My procedures are the same as for making Braeburn and
>I'm very strict on cleanliness, etc.

I think the first thing I'd try, considering that it's apple wine, is to add a
little pectic enzyme. You may have a pectin haze.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 25 Feb, 17:37, (Doug Miller) wrote:
> In article >, McKevvy > wrote:
>
> >Im an experienced home fruit wine maker and my usual wine is Braeburn
> >apple. I've never had a problem making this and it always turns out
> >exceptional. Recently I decided to move sideways a bit and make wine
> >from Granny Smith apples. All went well until a fews after I bottled
> >it and I noticed that it's started to turn very slightly hazy. I
> >filtered it through Boots fine filters and it brought back its crystal
> >clear clarity. However, a few days on, it's starting to go hazy again.
> >Can anyone help? My procedures are the same as for making Braeburn and
> >I'm very strict on cleanliness, etc.

> I think the first thing I'd try, considering that it's apple wine, is to add a
> little pectic enzyme. You may have a pectin haze.

Sounds plausible Doug...I'll try it out.

Many thanks.

McK.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 25 Feb, 17:51, McKevvy > wrote:
> On 25 Feb, 17:37, (Doug Miller) wrote:
>
> > In article >, McKevvy > wrote:

> > >Im an experienced home fruit wine maker and my usual wine is Braeburn
> > >apple. I've never had a problem making this and it always turns out
> > >exceptional. Recently I decided to move sideways a bit and make wine
> > >from Granny Smith apples. All went well until a fews after I bottled
> > >it and I noticed that it's started to turn very slightly hazy. I
> > >filtered it through Boots fine filters and it brought back its crystal
> > >clear clarity. However, a few days on, it's starting to go hazy again.
> > >Can anyone help? My procedures are the same as for making Braeburn and
> > >I'm very strict on cleanliness, etc.

> > I think the first thing I'd try, considering that it's apple wine, is to add a
> > little pectic enzyme. You may have a pectin haze.

> Sounds plausible Doug...I'll try it out.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> McK.

You're right - I've omitted the pectin. I checked the Boots book of
Home Wine and Brewing and they use pectin in their recipies. I've been
using a recipe for Braeburn apples from elsewhere and it doesn't
mention pectin.
I learn something every day

Many thanks.

McKevvy
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >, McKevvy > wrote:
>You're right - I've omitted the pectin. I checked the Boots book of
>Home Wine and Brewing and they use pectin in their recipies. I've been
>using a recipe for Braeburn apples from elsewhere and it doesn't
>mention pectin.
>I learn something every day

Pectin and pectic enzyme are two different things. There should be no need to
add pectin to an apple wine, since apples have lots of pectin already --
that's why I suggested you might need to add pectic enzyme to get rid of an
excess of pectin.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 25 Feb, 21:32, (Doug Miller) wrote:
> In article >, McKevvy > wrote:
>
> >You're right - I've omitted the pectin. I checked the Boots book of
> >Home Wine and Brewing and they use pectin in their recipies. I've been
> >using a recipe for Braeburn apples from elsewhere and it doesn't
> >mention pectin.
> >I learn something every day

> Pectin and pectic enzyme are two different things. There should be no need to
> add pectin to an apple wine, since apples have lots of pectin already --
> that's why I suggested you might need to add pectic enzyme to get rid of an
> excess of pectin.

Correct. I should have added PECTOLASE to destroy the PECTIC enzyme.

McK.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >, McKevvy > wrote:
>On 25 Feb, 21:32, (Doug Miller) wrote:
>> In article

> >, McKevvy
> > wrote:
>>
>> >You're right - I've omitted the pectin. I checked the Boots book of
>> >Home Wine and Brewing and they use pectin in their recipies. I've been
>> >using a recipe for Braeburn apples from elsewhere and it doesn't
>> >mention pectin.
>> >I learn something every day

>> Pectin and pectic enzyme are two different things. There should be no need to
>> add pectin to an apple wine, since apples have lots of pectin already --
>> that's why I suggested you might need to add pectic enzyme to get rid of an
>> excess of pectin.

>Correct. I should have added PECTOLASE to destroy the PECTIC enzyme.

No.

Pectolase *is* pectic enzyme. You should have added pectolase to destroy the
*pectin*.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Hmm, this doesn't sound right to me.

Pectin in your wine, in my experience, stops the wine from clearing.
If the wine has cleared and then become cloudy again I may be wrong,
but I doubt it would be pectin. Also I beleive that pectin clogs
filters so if the wine ran through the filter...
I think it must be some form of instability; acid, tannin or protein
maybe, but I have no experience in fault finding these and without
knowing your process and all the ingredients in the wine, it would be
difficult to work it out.
Apples contain malic acid which could be attacked by bacteria causing
a cloud, citric acid can also suffer bacterial breakdown. Tannin can
also produce hazes but I dont think Granny Smith contains that much
tannin.

If it were my wine I would put it all back into a bulk container and
keep an eye on it, it may just need more time to re-stabilises and may
well drop clear in a few weeks.

Meanwhile post more info on your methods and see if anyone else comes
back to you.
Denis
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 26 Feb, 14:56, (Doug Miller) wrote:
> In article >, McKevvy > wrote:
>

> >On 25 Feb, 21:32, (Doug Miller) wrote:
> >> In article

> > >, McKevvy

> >> Pectin and pectic enzyme are two different things. There should be no need to
> >> add pectin to an apple wine, since apples have lots of pectin already --
> >> that's why I suggested you might need to add pectic enzyme to get rid of an
> >> excess of pectin.

> >Correct. I should have added PECTOLASE to destroy the PECTIC enzyme.

> No.
>
> Pectolase *is* pectic enzyme. You should have added pectolase to destroy the
> *pectin*.

Thats what I've just done.

McK
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >, McKevvy > wrote:
>On 26 Feb, 14:56, (Doug Miller) wrote:

>> Pectolase *is* pectic enzyme. You should have added pectolase to destroy the
>> *pectin*.

>Thats what I've just done.

Let us know how it comes out.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 26 Feb, 18:34, (Doug Miller) wrote:
> In article >, McKevvy > wrote:
>
> >On 26 Feb, 14:56, (Doug Miller) wrote:

> >> Pectolase *is* pectic enzyme. You should have added pectolase to destroy the
> >> *pectin*.

> >Thats what I've just done.

> Let us know how it comes out.

This morning it's crystal clear. I've just bottled it without having
to filter it again.

Many thanks to all.

Im off to buy 2Kgs of peaches now - and I wont forget to add the
pectolase this time.

McKevvy

cloudy wine McKevvy Winemaking 0 26-02-2010 06:38 PM
Cloudy commercial wine Ken Anderson Winemaking 2 11-07-2004 06:31 AM
Cloudy commercial wine Ken Anderson Winemaking 0 10-07-2004 04:19 PM
Cloudy commercial wine Ken Anderson Winemaking 0 10-07-2004 01:55 PM
Cloudy commercial wine Ken Anderson Winemaking 8 08-07-2004 01:43 PM